ADVERTISEMENT

I feel so sorry for Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do too. Man gets his dream job but will never be accepted unless he wins huge year 1 with no roster. Shame on Mitch
NO, no, no......Shame on the fans for not giving Pope a fair chance.........the negativity on this board against a good, young coach, is criminal...........what did you people think would happen when you ran off a HOF coach...........most of UK's fans are flat out crazy.........how long would you have given any other coach to assume the throne of UK basketball.......only a portion of our fans think that all coaches are slobbering to coach at this school........THEY AIN'T! It is safe to say that unless Mark Pope is an unmitigated disaster his first season or two.......(see Kenny Payne) that he should have three years to get this program where it is supposed to reside. I for one feel good about Pope........it's his school........he has improved every program he has coached in his nine yrs...............I plan on watching every minute of every game which is something that I haven't done since the NCAA gave UNC a pass a few years ago.......There will be plenty of room on the wagon when the time comes........some of these post are shameful........."I love UK but........"

Looks like Mormons don’t know how to properly be mean. He’ll get MUCH more entertaining material for this bit from UK fans.
I think it would be funny if he opened his speech tomorrow with a few of these mean tweets or social media comments, then prove how he understands there will always be negativity but that he takes a positive approach to it and uses it as motivation.

So you think UK fans would be ok with a 35-31 record? That makes me an idiot because I know that our fan base expects to win? Man this place turns very weird when there is a little buzz about a new coach, all logic goes out the window.
No, we’d be very unhappy with 35/31. But if UConn followed your advice, and fired Hurley after 2 years, where would they be now?

Its almost impossible for him to turn down the offer but Barney should never have put him in this position.

There is nothing in Mark's coaching history to support hiring him at UK. I hope I'm wrong but I expect this to work out about this well;

I kind of felt the same way but after thinking about it ... this will be the best thing we could have hoped. We're gonna be fine. Pope is way ahead of the curve regarding style of play. Too many have been conditioned to look only for "brand". Cal is the master of "brand" but it's a flash and produces nothing sustainable. Pope is and will continue to be so far out in front of other coaches in this profession, all will be shocked. Just hang on ... we're better than fine.

Reactions: law1127
This is who the boosters wanted. I will give him a year to see how is. He's not going anywhere for 5 no matter what

True but he went to the second weekend twice at Rhode Island. He was definitely ready.
Pope's BYU team beat Kansas, Baylor, Texas, Kansas State, North Carolina State and Iowa State this past season, that’s respectable doing so at BYU. UK lost to Kansas this year with the top ranked recruiting class.

This is going to be a 2-3 year disaster. Hopefully, there is a big name coach ready to come in and resurrect the program in a couple years. Like when Pitino came or when Calipari came.
May not be if Pope can bring some of his guys with him. They would be experienced, older and playing that system in the SEC would probably give a lot of teams fits. Like Samson said, it is a unique system that you never see and is hard to prep for. Pope's guys with the ones he adds would give us a lot of quality depth to play ten guys and wear a lot of teams down if they aren't very deep.

Last edited:
I think most of BBN is behind him now or at least willing to give him a chance. I blame CCC the most for the mess that any coach would have to do a massive rebuild with the way Cal constructs rosters with a mass rebuild. Thankfully we are in this transfer portal era where a rebuild if done the right way doesn't have to be as drastic as it would have been 5+ years ago. Otherwise we would be so screwed with the roster. There is at least hope with the transfers and Pope bringing in players potentially from BYU to implement his system.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Its almost impossible for him to turn down the offer but Barney should never have put him in this position.

There is nothing in Mark's coaching history to support hiring him at UK. I hope I'm wrong but I expect this to work out about this well;

Archived this for future use. You've made a legacy decision. Too late to take it back. That ship has sailed...

Biggest idiots in this forum. You should take note of who said what and remember them. It’s what I do. These are the worst of our fans in here

Whoa, I don't give them a second thought. Nothing you do will change them, don't waste your time. Only 24 hours in a day. Play with your grand children or children...or dog, or cat, or...

Whoa, I don't give them a second thought. Nothing you do will change them, don't waste your time. Only 24 hours in a day. Play with your grand children or children...or dog, or cat, or...

Leave Me Out Nope GIF - Leave Me Out Nope No GIFs

• Haha
Reactions: BBUK
Why are we dredging up these stupid threads? It does nothing but make the fanbase look like idiots, and drive recruits away.

Reactions: JC CATS
Archived this for future use. You've made a legacy decision. Too late to take it back. That ship has sailed...
Ok, I guess you missed the follow-up post I made. If you want to archive the op, make sure to do the follow-up where I explained my thinking and my change of opinion after learning about BYU's unique roadblocks.

Frankly I think you're only interested in "gotcha" rather than honesty.

Actually, I don't care about gotcha, OR honesty. I'm just killing time until next season.

And nobody actually "archives" posts do they? I would hope not, because that would be weird...

IOW, I was kidding around. I haven't posted on HOB in YEARS, so maybe some folks don't "get" me yet.

I'll grow on you though. I promise.

I kind of felt the same way but after thinking about it ... this will be the best thing we could have hoped. We're gonna be fine. Pope is way ahead of the curve regarding style of play. Too many have been conditioned to look only for "brand". Cal is the master of "brand" but it's a flash and produces nothing sustainable. Pope is and will continue to be so far out in front of other coaches in this profession, all will be shocked. Just hang on ... we're better than fine.
I agree

Reactions: KFuqua
It's a pretty funny thread if I say so myself. Some of you might as well go hide under the bed. Be sure to take some snacks with ya. The rest of us will enjoy some ball and watch Pope and his kids win baby win.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
They were ready to run Krybabyshitski out of Durham after the first couple seasons. How did that work out? All coaches start out green and very few hit it out of the park right off the bat. Pope will be fine.

Reactions: NociHTTP
They were ready to run Krybabyshitski out of Durham after the first couple seasons. How did that work out? All coaches start out green and very few hit it out of the park right off the bat. Pope will be fine.
I hope he will be fine. But to say definitively that he will is just pure conjecture. Regardless, he’s the guy.

Actually, I don't care about gotcha, OR honesty. I'm just killing time until next season.

And nobody actually "archives" posts do they? I would hope not, because that would be weird...

IOW, I was kidding around. I haven't posted on HOB in YEARS, so maybe some folks don't "get" me yet.

So do warts!

200w.gif

Stop clowning around.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT