ADVERTISEMENT

I don't get this...does nobody want to play for Cal more than one year?

LowCountryCat

All-American
Apr 17, 2010
Orlando, FL
I refuse to believe it's playing for UK. These players are getting bad advice. This is like the first few weeks of American Idol where you have all those kids whose parents and churches tell them they can really sing and then they show up and Simon says "You suck bruh."

You guys do realize that we intentially have players declare to get different kind of feedback and experience of NBA right?

WG, PJ, and Vanderbilt can all come back. It's intentional process to motivate these guys.

Also, it can backfire.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I get tired of the fans who act like it's all good and the greatest thing ever. It's not. Most UK fans do not like this system. I can abide fans who take the "it is what it is so why complain" mentality; that at least makes sense. I can agree with that or the fans who flat out hate it. But the ones who are proponents of it I do not understand.

I refuse to believe it's playing for UK. These players are getting bad advice. This is like the first few weeks of American Idol where you have all those kids whose parents and churches tell them they can really sing and then they show up and Simon says "You suck bruh."

It has nothing to do with Cal or UK...it is the stupid system we have in place. The players crew gives them bad advice as well...also afraid of competition.

I get tired of the fans who act like it's all good and the greatest thing ever. It's not. Most UK fans do not like this system. I can abide fans who take the "it is what it is so why complain" mentality; that at least makes sense. I can agree with that or the fans who flat out hate it. But the ones who are proponents of it I do not understand.

It's not all good at all, but the system before it was really broke. 13 years and counting between Final Fours. UK has just 4 titles in 60 years...so no matter the system, teams/coaches are not getting it done compared to the glory days of 48-58.

It has nothing to do with Cal or UK...it is the stupid system we have in place. The players crew gives them bad advice as well...also afraid of competition.

It has everything to do with Cal. It’s the system he’s created. He is now only attracting guys who want to be OAD. If they plan to play multiple years, they are going elsewhere.

I don’t think it’s fair that coaches have to wait till May 30th to see who’s coming back and who’s not. Coaches need to know how many open scholarships they have and if they need to recruit more players. It also is stressful for the fan base which in the grand scheme doesn’t matter, but it’s just nice to know.

Reactions: K_TIME and catzcan
It has everything to do with Cal. It’s the system he’s created. He is now only attracting guys who want to be OAD. If they plan to play multiple years, they are going elsewhere.

So basically what I'm reading is Cal needs to recruit 3-4 star players. All these 5 star types want to go to the NBA fast.

And Cal didn't create this system...the NBA did. Don't let facts get in the way of your argument though.

It's not all good at all, but the system before it was really broke. 13 years and counting between Final Fours. UK has just 4 titles in 60 years...so no matter the system, teams/coaches are not getting it done compared to the glory days of 48-58.
That wasn't broken, that was Tubby being too damn stubborn to fire his lazy assistants who did zilch on the recruiting trail. And of course the BCG failure. The system had nothing to do with what we were putting on the floor. It was the coaching staff's effort. Rick Pitino was doing just fine under that same system here.

A Final Four is the barometer for a truly successful season here; iy just is. Cal's system worked at first, but now college basketball has caught up, just like the wildcat or spread offense in football in that everyone's doing it now.

It is not an effective winning strategy when you aren't getting THE John Wall's and Anthony Davis' of each recruiting class and simultaneously losing your stop gap guys who need to be here multiple years for legitimate depth.

Reactions: catzcan
I don’t think it’s fair that coaches have to wait till May 30th to see who’s coming back and who’s not. Coaches need to know how many open scholarships they have and if they need to recruit more players. It also is stressful for the fan base which in the grand scheme doesn’t matter, but it’s just nice to know.

LOL stressful to the fanbase? My bills and job and online accounting courses and relationship stress me out...this entertainment and hobby have no bearing on my stress levels nor should it anyone's. Whatever happens happens...life moves on, everyone will keep watching year after year, win or lose.

Cool, how many of those guys are mediocre players who have missed 3/4 of the last two seasons on a team who couldn’t beat Kansas St?
You said 'this is just happening at UK.' You were wrong, which I demonstrated. You are wrong again about the difference between testing the waters and being gone. You either don't understand the situation, you are intentionally misstating the facts, or you are overreacting. Why don't you wait and see who returns before bailing out on the program.

So basically what I'm reading is Cal needs to recruit 3-4 star players. All these 5 star types want to go to the NBA fast.

And Cal didn't create this system...the NBA did. Don't let facts get in the way of your argument though.

The facts say, this is the only place this is happening but feel free to change the subject.

That wasn't broken, that was Tubby being too damn stubborn to fire his lazy assistants who did zilch on the recruiting trail. And of course the BCG failure. The system had nothing to do with what we were putting on the floor. It was the coaching staff's effort. Rick Pitino was doing just fine under that same system here.

A Final Four is the barometer for a truly successful season here; iy just is. Cal's system worked at first, but now college basketball has caught up, just like the wildcat or spread offense in football in that everyone's doing it now.

It is not an effective winning strategy when you aren't getting THE John Wall's and Anthony Davis' of each recruiting class and simultaneously losing your stop gap guys who need to be here multiple years for legitimate depth.

Pitino didn't do better than Cal though...just 1 title and 1 less Final Four. Cal had 4 in 6 years and Pitino 3 in 6. Pitino was fading as he left as well on the recruiting trail...kinda like you are saying about Cal.

Not sure what happened post 1958 that was working so well...3 titles in 50 years before Cal. College basketball caught up. UCONN 4 titles the past 20 years, Duke 5 in the past 27, UNC 4 in the past 25 and so on. Based on your logic...not mine.

Pitino didn't do better than Cal though...just 1 title and 1 less Final Four. Cal had 4 in 6 years and Pitino 3 in 6. Pitino was fading as he left as well on the recruiting trail...kinda like you are saying about Cal.

Not sure what happened post 1958 that was working so well...3 titles in 50 years before Cal. College basketball caught up. UCONN 4 titles the past 20 years, Duke 5 in the past 27, UNC 4 in the past 25 and so on. Based on your logic...not mine.
First, I wasn't comparing Pitino to Cal, you are. Second, Pitino's tenure includes the probationary years on the front end if you opt to compare them, which I was not. And I didn't say Cal was fading on the recruiting trail, I clearly said it was Tubby. Finally your last paragraph....how is that germane at all? Based on my logic? That applies in no way to anything I brought up.

Honestly I have no idea what you think you just read based on your response. Back up and punt.

You said 'this is just happening at UK.' You were wrong, which I demonstrated. You are wrong again about the difference between testing the waters and being gone. You either don't understand the situation, you are intentionally misstating the facts, or you are overreacting. Why don't you wait and see who returns before bailing out on the program.

You didn’t demonstrate crap. You demonstrated other players are leaving early. All those guys you named accomplished something and are as far as they can go in college. UKs guys accomplish nothing, are middle of the road players on their own team and then go pro. Nowhere else are mediocre players who have accomplished nothing going pro. Only at UK. Frankly, I don’t care in Vanderbilt comes back or not. It’s an embarrassment what he and Hami have both done.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
Take away the professional students and nobody wants to go to school for more than a year particularly most of the rest of us just fail to have even a puncher's chance option of coming out ahead doing otherwise.

Especially doing something we really like anyway.

Get your 19 year old and their friends a chance at a high paykng to staight up lucrative gig playing video games, pulling tubes, fishing, skateboarding, drinking, drawing, Magic the Gathering, or whatever and you'd better watch your ass in the stampede out of the dorms.

You totally get it, I have to imagine. Are you going to work on Monday if I'm going to pay you six, seven, eight figures to drink beer or watch movies or golf or get out on the lake?

You didn’t demonstrate crap. You demonstrated other players are leaving early. All those guys you named accomplished something and are as far as they can go in college. UKs guys accomplish nothing, are middle of the road players on their own team and then go pro. Nowhere else are mediocre players who have accomplished nothing going pro. Only at UK. Frankly, I don’t care in Vanderbilt comes back or not. It’s an embarrassment what he and Hami have both done.
If I were embarrassed by Kentucky basketball I'd find another way to spend my time. It all sounds too stressful for you anyway. You seem a bit unhinged by it all.

So 90% of UK fans don't like this system? Hmm. What are you using to produce these stats? Can you share the math? Graphs? Charts?

I'm just curious since you know so much about the fanbase.

Embarrassment to who? I doubt if he cares whether you come back or not. I know I don't. What you accomplish in college doesn't dictate what you will be in the NBA especially in the OAD system. Skal says hey.

Yeah, it’s becoming more widespread

Duke, KU AND nova are all potentially losing like their entire starting 5 (with majority of them being freshman / underclassmen)

Get a life. You don't agree with my sentiments that's fine. Im not going to bandy back and forth about something this moronic. Good day.

Let me get this straight, you think I'm moronic for asking you to prove a statement that you can't obviously prove? Okay. *nods*

Good call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT