I cannot believe how poorly we are coached

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Both starting OTs get 2 holding calls
3 PF penalties
2 botched snaps on kicks
Complete mismanagement of the clock both before the half and end of the game
2nd and 22 on the last drive, we call a play that was designed to pick up the first down, instead of realizing this is four down territory and you try for 8-10 yards on 2nd down. So many plays tonight that seemed to completely ignore the game situation. Vandy's defense is standing up and looking at their sidelines and we don't snap the ball.
Defense plays pretty well but allows VU to throw short, quick passes to the flat time after time like they never scouted them. Only after hurting his ankle were we able to keep Pavia in the pocket where he's much less likely to hurt you. Again, did we not scout this team?

How is it that we keep rotating QBs, break what little rhythm the starter has so that the backup can run a QB keeper every single time?

Sixth game in and Brock still won't take the easy 5-yard completion, throws one time to a TE for a completion and only one subsequent target the remainder of the game (and I think that was a roll out, throw the ball away and the TE was closest), has great protection on 3rd down at the goal line and only looks at Key and fires it 10 feet over his head instead of looking to other options. Is he not receiving any coaching during the week?

I could go on.

Our cost/benefit for this staff is close being negative, imo.

Hairston and Nichols both out killed us tonight.
But thats Stoops fault right?
This football program is cursed.
Always has been, always will be.
Why? Because Lincoln was born in Ky and was the President when the Union took down the Confederacy.
Being in the SEC dooms Ky because all the good ole boys and their good ole boy descendants disdain Ky because of aforementioned verbiage.
We are screwed before the season even starts.

Last edited:
Have you watched us the last dozen years ?

This is who stoops is.
Dozen? Try 50+. But, yes, Stoops teams, with very few exceptions, have a complete stinker of a game, or two, every season. Can't do that every year and end up with more than 7 wins most seasons.

They have poor discipline, drive-killing and bonehead penalties galore.

Have not figured out special teams in any one season to include: FG kicking, punting, return teams and kick coverage teams - ever.

Consistently horrible clock and timeout management. How about giving that job to someone else on the staff who knows what the f$ck to do?

Cannot find an OC who knows what to do with the talent we have. Too many square peg/round hole OCs have come through here.

Maddening

Why? Because Lincoln was born in Ky and was the President when the Union took down the Confederacy.
Being in the SEC dooms Ky because all the good ole boys and their good ole boy descendants disdain Ky because of aforementioned verbiage.
Every single FB program in CFB has to deal with injuries. Hairston and Nichols being out is a very poor excuse for the whole team playing flat, giving up a dozen short passes in the flat, giving up 5 ypc on first down time after time, 12 penalties, etc.

But, by all means, make excuses for Stoops.

If Stoops sticks to his usual philosophy of running the ball (Wilcox only had 3 carries) and not gifting Vanderbilt the TD at the end of the first half by inexplicably throwing it 3 times deep in our own territory (which he NEVER does in that situation), we win the game. He totally blew it today.

The clock management at the end of the half and end of the game was embarrassing for a coach with as much experience as him.

Just stupid decisions. And I say that as someone who openly admits Stoops has accomplished more here than I ever thought possible. But we lost our identity when we left the Gran era of being a ball control, smash mouth football team

Not kicking that field goal I the 3rd Q to go down 7…w a stout defense. I’d so unlike the stoops mentality. At this point he has no consistency on when to go do it and when to not. The UGA game. The Ol Miss game (awful play call but worked). And the. This moronic Vandy decision…. He’s basically a 13 year old playing madden when it comes to game management. He’s great at game prep and recruiting which is 90% of coaching…. But that last 10-% of in game management is atrocious. Very much like prime Cal

Last edited:
3 PF penalties
2 botched snaps on kicks
2nd and 22 on the last drive, we call a play that was designed to pick up the first down, instead of realizing this is four down territory and you try for 8-10 yards on 2nd down. So many plays tonight that seemed to completely ignore the game situation. Vandy's defense is standing up and looking at their sidelines and we don't snap the ball.
Defense plays pretty well but allows VU to throw short, quick passes to the flat time after time like they never scouted them. Only after hurting his ankle were we able to keep Pavia in the pocket where he's much less likely to hurt you. Again, did we not scout this team?

How is it that we keep rotating QBs, break what little rhythm the starter has so that the backup can run a QB keeper every single time?

Sixth game in and Brock still won't take the easy 5-yard completion, throws one time to a TE for a completion and only one subsequent target the remainder of the game (and I think that was a roll out, throw the ball away and the TE was closest), has great protection on 3rd down at the goal line and only looks at Key and fires it 10 feet over his head instead of looking to other options. Is he not receiving any coaching during the week?

I could go on.

looking forward to your bitching and complaining all week....NOT

3 PF penalties
2 botched snaps on kicks

I could go on.

Our issues on offense involve more than just BV, of course, but he does not play like the son of a football coach. I would expect his instincts to be better ...

Reactions: ManitouDan
The age of ball control football has passed. It only works if you have a dominate defense and a team that is disciplined and doesn't make stupid penalties. That is not any Stoops team.

You cannot play to not lose. This situation reminds me of the Calipari situation in basketball. The game has passed Stoops by.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush

This is without a doubt one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

I’ve seen a lot of observations since last night and there are several constants I agree with. One, UK can not win on a consistent basis with an offense that is consistently at the bottom in scoring, yardage etc. Two, Stoops has two to three horrible games a year. Several seasons we were lucky because it was against directional schools or FCS. This year it was against SEC opponents resulting in an L.

Lastly, this year is a continuation of the last three where we just don’t play sound fundamental football. Killer penalties at critical moments, poor execution and blown assignments and just an overall lack of discipline. I can take a loss when they lay it on the line and get beat by a better team. But what I can’t stand is the repeated shooting all the toes off the foot and beating themselves.

Honest assessment is ever since Coen left the 1st time, UK has squandered 3 years by playing uninspired, mediocre to bad football. Stoops refusal to evolve is part of it. Our coaching staff’s inability to be flexible and adjust schemes and game plans week to week is equally appalling. Winning time of possession doesn’t mean squat if the end result doesn’t lead to putting points on the board.

I really didn’t buy into the qb hype this year but I was hopeful that the offense would be better. Unless/until Stoops realizes you win games by putting more points on the board than your opponent, not TOP, then this is UKs future as long as he’s here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT