ADVERTISEMENT

I Agree with Klutch’s Strategy Re: Livingston

Jan 5, 2018
If they knew Milwaukee raved about him to the point where it seems he will get a roster spot and a contract, I don’t blame Rich Paul. His job is to look out for the best interests of his client. A team may have picked him at like 50 but they may have cut him. Of course, if he doesn’t make the roster it looks beyond stupid. But, it is better to be familiar with the team that drafted you.

If they knew Milwaukee raved about him to the point where it seems he will get a roster spot and a contract, I don’t blame Rich Paul. His job is to look out for the best interests of his client. A team may have picked him at like 50 but they may have cut him. Of course, if he doesn’t make the roster it looks beyond stupid. But, it is better to be familiar with the team that drafted you.
After the first round when the contracts stop being guaranteed….the name of the game for agents is getting your client a guaranteed deal. So yes your post is correct that outside of the optics it doesn’t matter where in the 2nd round the client is drafted IF the deal is guaranteed.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
If I was a GM and he called me to tell me not to draft a client of his and someone I wanted I’d tell him to eff himself.
That’s just it, IMHO, that was the ONLY team that had ANY interest in Livingston. Because Klutch has so many clients, the Bucks may have given Rich Paul the guarantee to keep a good relationship for future signings.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It's a smokescreen. No team is going to pass on a player they really want. I'm sure The spurs would have passed on Wemby if Klutch asked. No one really wanted him so it's an easy ask.
Definitely was a situation where he thought by doing this, he'd lure some other team into taking him to spite Klutch. Happy for Livingston he did get selected and hope he does well. He wasn't any problem at all.

BTW-**** Josh Hairston the former Duke player who works for Klutch. He can eat a bag of ****s.

Definitely was a situation where he thought by doing this, he'd lure some other team into taking him to spite Klutch. Happy for Livingston he did get selected and hope he does well. He wasn't any problem at all.

BTW-**** Josh Hairston the former Duke player who works for Klutch. He can eat a bag of ****s.
I truly ****ing hate that bitch.

That’s just it, IMHO, that was the ONLY team that had ANY interest in Livingston. Because Klutch has so many clients, the Bucks may have given Rich Paul the guarantee to keep a good relationship for future signings.
That sounds neat and all, but how often do players go somewhere other than the highest bidder?

I truly ****ing hate that bitch.
What did Hairston do? I never heard the story.

Reactions: RunninRichie
If that was the case then there was no reason for them to be calling other teams to tell them not to draft him. Would have told him to pound sand either way.

If that was the case then there was no reason for them to be calling other teams to tell them not to draft him. Would have told him to pound sand either way.
So, do you ACTUALLY believe that Rich Paul story????

I don't. No other team gave him that assurance and didn't care about the Klutch relationship, IMHO.

That sounds neat and all, but how often do players go somewhere other than the highest bidder?
That's just it, IMHO, there was NO OTHER bidder and Paul was trying to save FACE by coming out with that story.

Reactions: mc140
People don't realize this actually happens a lot in the mid/late 2nd round and has for years.

Signing a UDFA contract is actually in most cases a lot better than signing a 2nd round contract, as you're in a bidding war as a UDFA and can get more generous terms, and you get to pick where you go.

This happens multiple times every draft. The only reason it's news this time around (besides it being a Kentucky player) is because the initial report said teams were being told not to draft him, only for the team that he had a handshake deal with (Bucks) then decided to just take with the last pick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT