ADVERTISEMENT

I’m not buying it until mid January.

K
Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

Maybe we have a Villanova type team with no true center until mid season. With that said the goal is to win enough games to get a top 2 seed and advance in the tournament. Looking at our schedule and seeing who can out lineup us and beat us up down low enough to outscore our run and gun isn't something ive done yet but, we don't need a slow 7ft center until we get into SEC PLAY. I'm thinking offense wins games put 90 on the board and see who can hang.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Maybe we have a Villanova type team with no true center until mid season. With that said the goal is to win enough games to get a top 2 seed and advance in the tournament. Looking at our schedule and seeing who can out lineup us and beat us up down low enough to outscore our run and gun isn't something ive done yet but, we don't need a slow 7ft center until we get into SEC PLAY. I'm thinking offense wins games put 90 on the board and see who can hang.
I'd LOVE to win the SEC this year, both the regular season and the tourney.

We could very well have a great team but I caution everyone. When cal gets “excited” or “swaggy” that’s not a good sign. Personally and watching the last two games with friends we talked about how all the previous 3-4 seasons cal has hyped the guys up now and backed off towards the season. This is the cycle everyone is sick of. This team still has a glaring weakness cal never addressed and it will show once we start playing other teams with nba talent and teams that are senior laden. Ugo and Bradshaw are going to be questionable for a while. I read ugo is out until October which will put him behind to start the season. Bradshaw the same not to mention he’s going to have to be our center. I’m really impressed with reed but at the same time I’m afraid cal won’t give him the clock he deserves. Reeves? I love him but we cannot live or die based on whether he is hot or not. These euro/Canadian teams play wide open. Thats not happening in the college game. Proceed with ⚠️ Cals butts on the line this season and I bet he ll scream go and run more than any other season. The question is will he adapt? Will he implement a zone when needed. Press when needed. Will he try to use depth or stick with 7 man rotation? Will he run an offense with a ton of movement off the ball and make sure the ball is always moving? Will we have a legit interior defense? Will cal play his best five or his favorite five? Will he play the best instead of his favorites. Will he run some actual set plays off the inbounds. Defend the inbounds? I mean cal has to not only bring the players but he has to do a 180 in terms of his coaching strategy’s. Will he finish teams off or continue the rock fight. Yeah we have talent. But down low is a big question mark and the biggest is Cals coaching. Will he change?

I know this if he doesn’t win this year big cal is toast.
I'm pretty sure most of us on this board have been fans for many years. We understand the ups and downs of competitive sports, specially the last three years or so. I watch UK because I enjoy the games and I am very happy when they win and disappointed and sometimes angry when they lose.

So I don't need someone to come in and tell me to temper my enjoyment. You have spent the better part of the last couple years pissing and moaning. Look, we all have been unhappy, and may well be again, and if so, I'm sure you'll be there to say "I was right, I told you so"!!! But I don't need somebody who is ALWAYS negative to come in and tell me not to enjoy a win (even in a meaningless exhibition game) you aren't the wise Knower-of-all-things that you think you are. Enjoy the wins/summer/beginning of the season and come back when we lose to tell how smart you are. We know you will. Just let us enjoy what WE want.

And if things go south....we as fans will survive without your predictions. We already have.

Its hard for some on here to admit that we have exceeded everyone's expectations especially playing without 2 players expected to contribute as well.
I preached for the last 6 mths that Shep was being undervalued and that at around the 20th recruit in the country.

He has proved me right thus far. I have always thought of him as top 10. Easy.

That gives us, maybe, the best haul in the history of college basketball:

Wagner
Edwards
Bradshaw
Dillingham
Sheppard

The true Fab Five if you will.

Wether the recruiting services want to admit it or not thats 5 of the top 10.

Cal has once again struck oil, black gold, Texas Tea.

See you in the FF.

Reactions: Bigbluecaleb
While I love how we’ve looked and have done way better than I expected, I can’t help but kinda feel like the OP. Mainly because last year in the Bahamas we looked outstanding. The team played freely with a ton of movement. Then the season started and it was clear Cal took over and they went right back to how UK always plays.

I’m just concerned that what we see now isn’t what we will see when the season starts.

@Wildcats1st and @JHannibalSmith I couldn’t agree with the two of you more

Folks neither of these guys are telling you to not enjoy the games. Rather, both are advising caution and based on history I would do the same
We have a much better group of basketball players for sure. But we also still have the same coach. We’ve already been bitten by the injury bug.
So absolutely enjoy what you’re watching..from the highlights I’ve been able to see they look like a lot of fun.
But please…we’ve watched this movie before. Unless there’s a major plot twist it’s gonna have the same ending

@Wildcats1st and @JHannibalSmith I couldn’t agree with the two of you more

Folks neither of these guys are telling you to not enjoy the games. Rather, both are advising caution and based on history I would do the same
We have a much better group of basketball players for sure. But we also still have the same coach. We’ve already been bitten by the injury bug.
So absolutely enjoy what you’re watching..from the highlights I’ve been able to see they look like a lot of fun.
But please…we’ve watched this movie before. Unless there’s a major plot twist it’s gonna have the same ending
You should watch the games. No bull in China Shop knocking over teammates for rebounds. No portly, pouting prima donna going 1 on 5. Definitely a plot twist or two.

We all lived through the last several seasons. I'm sure no one has forgotten how awful they ended. (or in the case of the one season...all of it.) Just wondering, if one refuses to enjoy the current moment worrying about the possible disappointment of the future....when do you get to enjoy?

There will be plenty of bitching when UK loses a game (always has been, always will), how about waiting until then to be miserable? Otherwise one is miserable all the time. Unless their point is to make sure others can't enjoy the UK experience.

Reactions: pedroborbon
You should watch the games. No bull in China Shop knocking over teammates for rebounds. No portly, pouting prima donna going 1 on 5. Definitely a plot twist or two.
Wish I could. Been catching highlights and love the basketball plays I’ve seen which I will not argue is quite positive
But the timing is preventing me right now

Not gonna get hopes up though…
A new cast doesn’t change the script

We all lived through the last several seasons. I'm sure no one has forgotten how awful they ended. (or in the case of the one season...all of it.) Just wondering, if one refuses to enjoy the current moment worrying about the possible disappointment of the future....when do you get to enjoy?

There will be plenty of bitching when UK loses a game (always has been, always will), how about waiting until then to be miserable? Otherwise one is miserable all the time. Unless their point is to make sure others can't enjoy the UK experience.
Can’t speak for the others but I’m personally far from miserable.
And I don’t really see anyone bitching. Just simply advising everyone not to get hopes up. And I’m sure the OP posted it for those who are saying we’re back and we’re going to dominate, etc
It’s not directed to those who are just enjoying some summer games

Just my opinion

These games are meant for coach Cal to see what is possible with lineups I think.

No way do we say final four bound or last 4 out based on some summer games...

We could very well have a great team but I caution everyone. When cal gets “excited” or “swaggy” that’s not a good sign. Personally and watching the last two games with friends we talked about how all the previous 3-4 seasons cal has hyped the guys up now and backed off towards the season. This is the cycle everyone is sick of. This team still has a glaring weakness cal never addressed and it will show once we start playing other teams with nba talent and teams that are senior laden. Ugo and Bradshaw are going to be questionable for a while. I read ugo is out until October which will put him behind to start the season. Bradshaw the same not to mention he’s going to have to be our center. I’m really impressed with reed but at the same time I’m afraid cal won’t give him the clock he deserves. Reeves? I love him but we cannot live or die based on whether he is hot or not. These euro/Canadian teams play wide open. Thats not happening in the college game. Proceed with ⚠️ Cals butts on the line this season and I bet he ll scream go and run more than any other season. The question is will he adapt? Will he implement a zone when needed. Press when needed. Will he try to use depth or stick with 7 man rotation? Will he run an offense with a ton of movement off the ball and make sure the ball is always moving? Will we have a legit interior defense? Will cal play his best five or his favorite five? Will he play the best instead of his favorites. Will he run some actual set plays off the inbounds. Defend the inbounds? I mean cal has to not only bring the players but he has to do a 180 in terms of his coaching strategy’s. Will he finish teams off or continue the rock fight. Yeah we have talent. But down low is a big question mark and the biggest is Cals coaching. Will he change?

i guess you didn’t like the swaggy cal when we cut down the nets and getting to final fours?

TLDR

He’s gonna be out until October with a mild sprain(last I seen reported, don’t know if that’s changed?)

TLDR

I get the gist tho.

Not sure anyone is “buying” anything yet. Most are optimistic we hav e played well in a meaningless off season exhibition tourney. Funny there are those that feel compelled to come along and remind us of their constant pessimism tho. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: davtay and thedahc
I understand your point but it's obvious with this team the talent is much better.Guards are what win and to have DJ,Reeves,Reed and Rob is just a dream come true.Having guys like Wheeler and CJ as our guards last season was depressing.We need the bigs back for sure but this team gives me hope.

Clutter is no way to go through life.

He’s gonna be out until October with a mild sprain(last I seen reported, don’t know if that’s changed?)

Actually reading comprehension is key. I believe the actual diagnosis was mild sprain, nothing to worry about and that he would be fully ready to go in October - when practice "officially starts. He won't be "out until October", he'll be working out doing drills in a week, maybe two.

You honestly comparing last yr to this yr?
Cal brought in 2 Five stars last yr. This yr in reality he has brought in five 5 stars and 2 of the top 3 in the country.

We have one or the best transfers in Mitchell and bring back 3 studs.

We are the best team in America right now and although I realize this obviously you do not.
Lol

I preached for the last 6 mths that Shep was being undervalued and that at around the 20th recruit in the country.

He has proved me right thus far. I have always thought of him as top 10. Easy.

That gives us, maybe, the best haul in the history of college basketball:

Wagner
Edwards
Bradshaw
Dillingham
Sheppard

The true Fab Five if you will.

Wether the recruiting services want to admit it or not thats 5 of the top 10.

Cal has once again struck oil, black gold, Texas Tea.

See you in the FF.
What are you smoking

I agree that you aren’t going to reliably predict anything until new years. Relying on young players especially. Even the unquestionably good teams had a few games against nobodies that made you wonder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT