ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley’s record

The biggest difference I see is the fact that Hurley won both a Conference Regular Season Championship and a Conference Tournament Title as well as 2 NCAA Tournament wins before UCONN hired him. Had Pope managed to have at least one of those Conference Championships or an NCAA Tournament win, I would be more convinced of his resume. It is what it is at this point. Just hope those are to come in abundance with Pope now in the SEC.

And he took Rhode Island to the second round twice. That's two more tournament wins than Pope has.
He also didn't want to be at UK so he's not really that relevant to the discussion anyway. I was just pointing
out that he wasn't born as a 2 time national champion. He didn't start out on top. Most come up the ladder like him and Pope.

He also didn't want to be at UK so he's not really that relevant to the discussion anyway. I was just pointing
out that he wasn't born as a 2 time national champion. He didn't start out on top. Most come up the ladder like him and Pope.
Yeah, but he actually climbed the ladder through some success. Pope has NO SUCCESS. He has none to speak of. There's not a single NCAA Tournament win on his resume. He's not some great recruiter either. He has been a head coach for nine years and got two NCAA Tourney appearances and lost to an 11 seed both times and he somehow gets named UK's coach?

Reactions: bookerfan66
Yeah, but he actually climbed the ladder through some success. Pope has NO SUCCESS. He has none to speak of. There's not a single NCAA Tournament win on his resume. He's not some great recruiter either. He has been a head coach for nine years and got two NCAA Tourney appearances and lost to an 11 seed both times and he somehow gets named UK's coach?
If you don't want to give the guy a chance why in the hell should I care? I don't.
Also, if you don't want to watch any more UK basketball, if you're even a UK fan as
you seem to be more proud of your FSU fandom, I also don't care.

To be fair to Mark. There was no Gonzaga in the A freaking 10. Hell, most of the programs, aren't even St. Mary's.

Just saying Dayton, VCU, Richmond are no Gonzaga.

Pope is one of us and was a Captain of that 1996 team! He is a smart dude so let’s get behind him and let him put staff together and recruit!! 🤷‍♂️

How do you know if he is a great recruiter or not. For the past 5 years he’s had to recruit 17-18 year old kids to play basketball who also agree to abstain from having sex. Then managed to finish 5th in the big 12 this year with that caveat. How big of a pool has mark had to recruit from compared to the rest of college coaches. How much bigger does that pool get now that he can actually recruit anyone for the most part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT