ADVERTISEMENT

Huge props to Eddie Gran

Blue63Madison

All-American
May 21, 2002
Savannah, GA
It’s pretty amazing what this guy has done with the UK offense in the wake of losing all of our quarterbacks and having to do the unheard of in using a WR at QB. I don’t think any of us thought this was possible. Yes, we were shut out in the monsoon in Athens and we melted down against UT, but overall we’ve gotten way more offense since TW and SS went down than I ever could have imagined. Seemingly with every snap the playbook opens up a little bit more. It’s getting to the point Lynn Bowden almost looks like a quarterback, and our four-headed rushing attack is a monster. Great job, Coach.

We have beat two teams with a winning record. Eastern Michigan and Toledo. Lost to a 5-5 Tennessee. Lost to Miss State and South Carolina who have losing records. Beat Missouri,Arkansas, and Vandy who have losing records. Lost to Florida and Georgia who have winning records. Play Tenn-Martin (7-4) and Louisville(5-4) next.

We have beat two teams with a winning record. Eastern Michigan and Toledo. Lost to a 5-5 Tennessee. Lost to Miss State and South Carolina who have losing records. Beat Missouri,Arkansas, and Vandy who have losing records. Lost to Florida and Georgia who have winning records. Play Tenn-Martin (7-4) and Louisville(5-4) next.

Reactions: Stoneule
The staff had the right game plan for the right defense. We did what we had to do against VU>

Quit your whining. Missouri was a ranked team. I’m not a big fan of Stoops but this team is grinding out wins after losing the best option at QB. If you can’t be happy after today’s win then maybe you should reconsider your fandom. This year was going to be a step back. 8-4 was a good goal. Still have a chance for 7-5. Support the team or STFU.

So what's your point? The schedule as far as the conference is locked, and you've pointed out 4 of our 4 OOC opponents have winning records.
So do we leave the SEC for what you think is a tougher conference?

It’s pretty amazing what this guy has done with the UK offense in the wake of losing all of our quarterbacks and having to do the unheard of in using a WR at QB. I don’t think any of us thought this was possible. Yes, we were shut out in the monsoon in Athens and we melted down against UT, but overall we’ve gotten way more offense since TW and SS went down than I ever could have imagined. Seemingly with every snap the playbook opens up a little bit more. It’s getting to the point Lynn Bowden almost looks like a quarterback, and our four-headed rushing attack is a monster. Great job, Coach.

1st and goal from the 6 to win the game. Just think about that for a little bit. And btw We have a decent back up but Bowden fits the system better. He’s no chopped liver out there. As long as we give away games by not executing offensively i won’t have a nice thing to say about gran.

Reactions: etowncatfan
1st and goal from the 6 to win the game. Just think about that for a little bit. And btw We have a decent back up but Bowden fits the system better. He’s no chopped liver out there. As long as we give away games by not executing offensively i won’t have a nice thing to say about gran.
Cause gran has so much say so in if we execute or not. You can call the perfect play, but if someone misses an assignment, or a defender makes a good football play, that was the absolute perfect play all. If offense doesn’t execute there is nothing they can do. Sometimes football happens. Tip your hat and go on.

Even more props to whomever decided to actually play Smoke and Rodriguez - they made that offense work so well!

Go Big Blue!

EtownCatFan

What’s your problem? With all the losses from last year and all the injuries this year, we can win 7, 8 games!!

Sound like you just like to poor mouth our team

Not a poor mouth for the team. I was happy that we won and will be bowl eligible again . I was just stating that the win had more to do with Vandy being awful more than Eddie Gran’s game plan. After finally figuring out Rodriguez and Smoke are better running backs than Rose I saw where Stoops says Rose starts next week. I see us get a Lucky TD before halftime with some of the worst clock Management that you could do losing 30 seconds at a time. I see Sawyer Smith throw a pass. Maybe he should have played some the last game to keep defenses honest and not load the box. Don’t get me wrong I am glad we won. You or I could have called plays and we still would win. To the players you guys have given your all to savage the season.

Not a poor mouth for the team. I was happy that we won and will be bowl eligible again . I was just stating that the win had more to do with Vandy being awful more than Eddie Gran’s game plan. After finally figuring out Rodriguez and Smoke are better running backs than Rose I saw where Stoops says Rose starts next week. I see us get a Lucky TD before halftime with some of the worst clock Management that you could do losing 30 seconds at a time. I see Sawyer Smith throw a pass. Maybe he should have played some the last game to keep defenses honest and not load the box. Don’t get me wrong I am glad we won. You or I could have called plays and we still would win. To the players you guys have given your all to savage the season.
I have been critical of some of the Gran/Stoops scheming as well.

But it is 100% unfair to argue "you or I could have plays and still won". UK just didn't hang on to beat a bad team (like Arkansas). UK fully hammered the living daylights out of Vanderbilt on the road like a good team should do vs. a lesser foe. UK's execution up front is amazing right now, UK's has really cleaned up the penalties that this team has to have to stay ahead of chains, the blocking of not just the OL but also the RB are fully committed as well as WR/TE.

The wrinkle to add speed option to stress the edge of defenses, now the two back (almost old fashioned triple option) option look is another nice wrinkle. There has been some good coaching happening to keep this season from spiraling into a 3-4 win season...which is exactly where this was heading.

AJ was taken out because of the fumble. Open the door for the other two.

And he had a very good run, a very high YPC average. All three backs are very fast, but Rose is still "probably" the fastest, but all three are pretty amazing. Then Bowden has some amazing moves and cuts, and just doesn't give up.

Reactions: ekywildcat
While we're handing out praise, how about the receivers? They know the limits our passing game has right now. They know they don't figure much into that offense, and will be fortunate to get a pass thrown their way. Yet they line up and do the things they're asked to do. When Bowden or Rose or whoever gets to the edge or the second level of the defense, they're engaging their man (as much as wide receivers do) or they're looking for somebody to block.

It would be understandable (at least to me) if they, as a group, threw in the towel considering the miniscule returns they're seeing for their efforts personally. So my hat's off to them for accepting their role and continuing to do it without any glory or praise, simply because that's what needs done.

I have been critical of some of the Gran/Stoops scheming as well.

But it is 100% unfair to argue "you or I could have plays and still won". UK just didn't hang on to beat a bad team (like Arkansas). UK fully hammered the living daylights out of Vanderbilt on the road like a good team should do vs. a lesser foe. UK's execution up front is amazing right now, UK's has really cleaned up the penalties that this team has to have to stay ahead of chains, the blocking of not just the OL but also the RB are fully committed as well as WR/TE.

The wrinkle to add speed option to stress the edge of defenses, now the two back (almost old fashioned triple option) option look is another nice wrinkle. There has been some good coaching happening to keep this season from spiraling into a 3-4 win season...which is exactly where this was heading.
K time you are spot on with your evaluation of where this team was headed. Had the switch not been made to Bowden at QB, we may not have gotten another win, maybe Tenn Martin.

Reactions: sefus12
While we're handing out praise, how about the receivers? They know the limits our passing game has right now. They know they don't figure much into that offense, and will be fortunate to get a pass thrown their way. Yet they line up and do the things they're asked to do. When Bowden or Rose or whoever gets to the edge or the second level of the defense, they're engaging their man (as much as wide receivers do) or they're looking for somebody to block.

It would be understandable (at least to me) if they, as a group, threw in the towel considering the miniscule returns they're seeing for their efforts personally. So my hat's off to them for accepting their role and continuing to do it without any glory or praise, simply because that's what needs done.
Daily blocked like a man all night. Couldn’t have done it without him.

If he called games like he did today, I wouldn’t be complaining. Today we threw some short passes and mixed it up. It was refreshing to see.

Agree with this. I know it was Vandy, but we dug ourselves out of the hole pretty quickly. Was fun to watch.

Bowden can do the short throws, need to get the TE's more involved. IMHO. And I love option football, that little pitch out, love it.

Just have to say, I thought Walker Wood looked pretty good, what little time he got. Hope to see more against Tn-Martin. Let LB rest for the dirty Cards.

Stoops and Gran have both did a good job of holding this thing together.

People forget we lost Terry Wilson, I guess. We are 2 wins better at least, if he is healthy.

Reactions: jauk11
Missouri isn't good either. They should have beaten Vandy but they've lost 5 straight for a reason.
You're right about Mizzou. But people forget we were a FG away from beating Florida and Tennessee (if we had a kicker like McGinnis vs UT we win that game too) without Wilson. Most UK teams in the past lose to Vandy and Mizzou without their starting QB.

Some terrible coaching decisions at critical moments to go along with no kicker have turned this season from what could have been a good season to an okay season.

Not having a kicker this year is killing us.

That’s how I feel too. If Austin Maginnis (sp) was on this team UK beats UF and UT. This team is a good kicker away from a possible consecutive 9-3 season after losing a ton. That’s how good these coaches are!

The offense hasn’t been a problem aside from being bad in the RZ in the losses.

Reactions: JStaff2187
That’s how I feel too. If Austin Maginnis (sp) was on this team UK beats UF and UT. This team is a good kicker away from a possible consecutive 9-3 season after losing a ton. That’s how good these coaches are!

The offense hasn’t been a problem aside from being bad in the RZ in the losses.

I get as aggravated as anyone when it comes to short yardage situations and our staff not adjusting. That is one major flaw they seem to have. Against UT when they started stacking 10 in the box, we needed to change something (some passes like the ones against Vandy yesterday would have been amazing) they didn't.

That said, considering everything, they've done a pretty good job. A kicker would probably give us 2 more wins at least. And the kicker isn't the staff's fault. He was highly touted coming out of high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT