ADVERTISEMENT

NIL = No Scholly

It may already be the case, but i am wondering how long before schools that have athletes earning over a certain amount in NIL revoke the full scholarships and start having kids pay for their school. This would essentially make them a walk-on and allow scholarships to be used for incoming freshmen developmental players.
I believe UCLA bumped one guy off scholarship with a corresponding increase in his NIL in order to fit another guy on the team. They basically have 14 scholarship players this year. An unavoidable loophole it would seem, but one that I don't think will become an issue in the NIL age because most coaches don't seem to want 13 guys even, let alone 14 or more.

That may not be your concept but several have stated the scholarships impacted could be given to others and that won't likely fly at all.

The whole idea is counterproductive at any rate, we are trying to provide incentives to attract players not invent ways to "punish" them in a snit for accepting the inducements.
NIL is going to destroy college sports, NIL has made college sports a minor league system for the NBA and NFL and has created a monster in the portal. I think NIL contributors will become tired of the year after year contributions and scale them back in the next few years. I personally do not care how much they get, but, basically the athletes have become independent contractors and feel if they are going to get paid then money received over a certain level should require the athlete to pay his own way. The level and rules should apply to all schools

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT