ADVERTISEMENT

Hubert Davis is paid $2.6M a year...

Cat Ballou

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 24, 2007
Seriously, the thing I can't get over in all this is what we are paying Pope. Why in the hell would you start a guy like this out with a Top 10 coach salary when he no doubt happily would have accepted $3M.

He's being paid more than Hurley, Drew, Oates, etc.

What's particularly dumb about it is if by some chance he does do well, then his next contract is probably going to make him the highest paid coach in the country. It's just a needless squandering of resources that could have been spent on hiring assistants, etc.

What's particularly dumb about it is if by some chance he does do well, then his next contract is probably going to make him the highest paid coach in the country.

Oh no, hopefully he doesn't do really well, that'd just be awful!!!!

I would agree with this. Even though we’ve saved tons of money from Cal, he was overpaid as well. It’s like when my wife thinks she’s saving money when she buys something on “sale” that she had no intention of buying. Basically what I’m saying is Mitch is bad with money like my wife.

Yeah, the only coaches making more than Pope's 5.5 million deal is Self, Cal, Izzo, Pearl and Barnes. Making double what Few and Davis makes.

Definitely paid him too much but I think the entire contract is less than what Cal’s buyout would’ve been. That’s what happens when you throw out 12mil a year to a coach who will never come here. Once you throw out 12, it’s an insult to call up a former player a day later and be like “wanna do it for 2.5?” Sheesh, Barnhart must’ve got his Graduate degree from Trump University.

Does UK have a class for contract negotiations? Maybe Mitch could audit it or something. I’m totally behind the Pope hire by the way.

Reactions: Lazlo7
I didn't understand that either. I thought 3 Mil a year maybe and build some incentives in the contract. Who knows.

Seriously, the thing I can't get over in all this is what we are paying Pope. Why in the hell would you start a guy like this out with a Top 10 coach salary when he no doubt happily would have accepted $3M.

What's particularly dumb about it is if by some chance he does do well, then his next contract is probably going to make him the highest paid coach in the country. It's just a needless squandering of resources that could have been spent on hiring assistants, etc.
Of all the things to complain about. lol

What does it matter? Is it your money?

Reactions: LincolnBlue

Pope was a Rhodes Scholar and has a real degree. Hubert Davis only gets paid $2.5 because he only has a phony degree.

What was his salary at BYU? Like someone above said, I would’ve started at 3-4 million and load it up with incentives.

I don't understand the salary at all. Read that the reports are that he made around $2 mill at BYU so pay him $3 mill but $5.5mill. Use the other money for good quality assistants or NIL but that price tag for an unproven coach which btw Mitch said he would work to get a proven coach.

Reactions: KYExtemper
I don't understand that salary North Carolina is paying him. He is worth more than that. And I don't think he's that great but he's worth more than that

Reactions: KYExtemper
Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
The contract makes little sense to me either. Pope would have come for less. I am curious about the other details in the contract as well. Is there a buyout. Can he be fired without cause? If the contract is as bad as Stoops and Cals then that would be really bad.

If it’ll make you feel better we can say that Pope is paid $2M/yr to coach and then whatever extra is to deal with the crap from the fans/boosters.

I'm sorry, is it coming out of your pocket? NO? Then STFU

Hubert Davis Contract​

Hubert Davis’ current contract is worth $16.7 million and runs through the 2027-28 college basketball season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT