ADVERTISEMENT

How would we guard ..

kgargus

Junior
Gold Member
Apr 15, 2007
Azubuike from Kansas and Toppin from
Dayton ? These two players seem to present the biggest two individual unique challenges in the tournament . Run doubles at both ?

Azubuike- Make him move on the defensive end to wear him down and stay between him and the goal but I wouldn't double him when KU has the ball, then foul the crap out of him at the end of the game.

Toppin- Like Azubuike, make him guard on the perimeter to wear him down. When Dayton has the ball, deny him the ball and double him on the block and make him shoot jumpshots.

The same way we guard everybody, man to man and switching on the ball screen allowing a mismatch/blow by more times than not.

Go at Azubuike and get him in foul trouble. Richards fouls a lot but he also draws a lot of fouls.​

Reactions: Cats192
Cal is proven good at limiting one great player with defensive game planning. This might work against Dayton, but Kansas has several really good players.

Cal is proven good at limiting one great player with defensive game planning. This might work against Dayton, but Kansas has several really good players.

This is why I would NOT double Azubuike and I would Toppin.

Our guards would cut off the passing angles to Azubuike, and Nick would front him. He’s not mobile. Deny him the ball and make him come out from under the basket to get open.
And run him like heck whenever possible. He’s close to 300 pounds and not as well conditioned as Nick or EJ. He’d hopefully be nice and winded by the end if the game.

Reactions: catben
And run him like heck whenever possible. He’s close to 300 pounds and not as well conditioned as Nick or EJ. He’d hopefully be nice and winded by the end if the game.
Got to run him .. but this is not same guy as last year . Lost 30-40 lbs and is pretty chiseled . Played 34-35 minutes against Baylor if i recall

Hack-a-Shaq Azubuike late. He’s a friggin’ 44 percent FT shooter.

Azubuike we can handle.
Toppin would be a tougher matchup. if we are clicking, then let him get his. Toppin is the best player on the court, but top to
bottom we have better players than Dayton.

Got to run him .. but this is not same guy as last year . Lost 30-40 lbs and is pretty chiseled . Played 34-35 minutes against Baylor if i recall
Yeah he was huge. He’s transformed his body.

Azubuike we can handle.
Toppin would be a tougher matchup. if we are clicking, then let him get his. Toppin is the best player on the court, but top to
bottom we have better players than Dayton.
I would actually go the other way, I think we put EJ on Toppin and his length along with Richards helping at the rim would make it tough on him to get his. Add to that the fact that they dont play anyone major minutes taller than Toppin at 6'9" and our bigs assuming they don't no show should be able to eat on the offensive end. Azubuike on the other hand I think they key is pressuring the ball and don't let them throw entry passes to him in deep and then use richards ability to run the floor to wear him out and hopefully pick up some cheap fouls on Azubuike in transition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT