ADVERTISEMENT

How much longer does K stay at Dook?

Orville Boggs

Junior
Dec 5, 2012
Thousandsticks, KY
What else does he want to accomplish? He was gift-wrapped a N-title this year! With the gold medals, rings and shield from the NCAA. What else is he missing a fur-coat? Bo Ryan says he's a rent-a-player coach now along with the raping, pillaging and has destroyed college basketball.

They'll have to remove both him and Vitale kicking and screaming.

Im afraid he's not going anywhere. He's got quite the bright few years ahead. I think Luke Kennard is going to be one of the greats before its all said and done. Not a better "basketball player" in his class. Several better "athletes" but he's a phenomenal "basketball player" and I hate it and I wish he were ours.

I'm just glad that it's getting close to the end. We'll have to deal with the favoritism, bad calls, and gimme-brackets for a few more years, but not many. I personally think Duke falls harder than a lot of people believe. Not only is Coach K an irreplaceable talent and leader, but NO coach is going to get his treatment. The next coach will neither have his talent, recruiting, or those.. ahem.. "intangibles".

Duke was gift-wrapped a title? We played a much harder tourney lineup than UK. Per Kenpom, in every round but 1 (WI > MSU) we played the harder opponent and we then beat WI anyway. Given how well Duke played in the tourney (better D than UK), you could make the argument that the best team won this year.

Re: Coach K, he said last year that he wanted to coach 5 more. On the Duke boards, a lot of folks think that K retires from the NBA gig after winning the Olympics in 2016, and that if a stacked Duke wins the NCAA title two years from now, that might be the perfect time to move on.

Agree there will be a let down no matter who replaces him. Capel is driving a lot of our recruiting, but I don't know how good of a head coach he would be - other than Blake Griffin he didn't do much at OK. Like UK we Duke fans will be hoping Brad Stevens gets sick of the NBA around the time we lose our HOF coach.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that. And even if it were true.. There is no one in their right mind that thinks Duke had a hard road to the title... Certainly not harder than Kentucky.

ND, Cincy, WVU, Wisconsin..
Utah, Gonzaga, SDSU, MSU..

Not a chance a Duke fan would rather play the first lineup.. With ND waiting for them..

Last edited:
Reactions: Brando Mac
Im afraid he's not going anywhere. He's got quite the bright few years ahead. I think Luke Kennard is going to be one of the greats before its all said and done. Not a better "basketball player" in his class. Several better "athletes" but he's a phenomenal "basketball player" and I hate it and I wish he were ours.

Based on WHAT?

How are you not banned? You're one of the biggest trolls to date. Jesus.

Had UK got Kennard, there is no way on this planet that you would be telling us that he would be one of the greats here. Mods, do you exist?

Reactions: LineSkiCat
I highly doubt that. And even if it were true.. There is no one in their right mind that thinks Duke had a hard road to the title... Certainly not harder than Kentucky.

Not a chance a Duke fan would rather play the first lineup.. With ND waiting for them..

Utah's rating was a joke. Look at their schedule. Their only good win all year was Wichita State.

I think coack k is half elf half hitler. He maybe around a bit since he's only 192 yrs old and still looks the same as he did in 1992. I wonder if painting was his first love? As for Benedict, who cares. We have no luck with sharp shooting white guys.(that's no slam, it's just saying the truth, the proof is there)

Look for Duke to make final 4 this season, next with Giles and Tatum and maybe Smith he will win another championship. Not a fan of Duke but he is the best coach ever.

Coach K will leave after he draws his last breath. Watching him deliver a speech to the home crowd after the 1000 win, he truly loves Duke basketball, Duke fans, and the university......I just don't see him leaving.

He has the media, the ill informed fans that refuse to admit that he and Duke have a history of cheating. All the top teams have things in the closet that they have admitted to doing. I have no respect for Duke or UNC when they think they are above the rest and deny, deny , deny. I will never respect K or any of his cheating records he has, he and the program are non-existent in my eyes. That is why they SUCK...

Last edited:
Coach K will leave after he draws his last breath. Watching him deliver a speech to the home crowd after the 1000 win, he truly loves Duke basketball, Duke fans, and the university......I just don't see him leaving.

Agree with you, look at all the top players next couple years the all have Duke at the top. It sucks right now, Heels cannot sign anyone and Duke is coming in and getting the kids we would get. I say he will win 2 more championships, next 5 years and he will go.

Here are the Kenpom ratings: UK (239,34,26,9,3) and Duke (176,27,8,7,15,3). If you remove Hampton and Robert Morris, the average is 18 vs. 12. I agree on ND, btw, but even adjusting for that, at worst Duke's and UK's 'degree of difficulty' seem very similar. So if we had a cake walk, so did UK. If UK didn't, then Duke didn't either. Now if you're a UW fan, then I think you have a legit complaint, their path was friggin hard.

Duke was gift-wrapped a title? We played a much harder tourney lineup than UK. Per Kenpom, in every round but 1 (WI > MSU) we played the harder opponent and we then beat WI anyway. Given how well Duke played in the tourney (better D than UK), you could make the argument that the best team won this year.

Re: Coach K, he said last year that he wanted to coach 5 more. On the Duke boards, a lot of folks think that K retires from the NBA gig after winning the Olympics in 2016, and that if a stacked Duke wins the NCAA title two years from now, that might be the perfect time to move on.

Agree there will be a let down no matter who replaces him. Capel is driving a lot of our recruiting, but I don't know how good of a head coach he would be - other than Blake Griffin he didn't do much at OK. Like UK we Duke fans will be hoping Brad Stevens gets sick of the NBA around the time we lose our HOF coach.

Not usually a conspiracy theorist, but this is my theory.

I think Duke was given the easiest path.

The NCAA and their sponsors were chomping at the bit at the idea of a Duke/UK final. I don't think they were as confident in Duke getting to the title game as they were UK, so they made the path a little easier for Duke.

They knew Duke and UK would both breeze to the Elite Eight. The other two games were iffy. Both UK and Duke were given good matchups for the Regional final. UK was suppose to play a KU team they already throttled. Duke was given a glorified mid-major Gonzaga.

Now the other regionals were set up to make sure Duke survived to the title with the idea that UK would be there no matter who they played. So Duke would play a weak opponent in the national semis. So the East bracket had Nova, which had no business being a 1 seed and a limping UVA team as the 2, keeping Duke's path to the title wide open.

It's either that or the NCAA selection committee buys into the computer ranking crap so much that they couldn't tell who was for real and who was a fraud.

Nova should not have been a 1 seed. No way. They did not pass the eye test and in the end they fell hard.

Zona was more deserving of the 1. Everyone knew this that actually watched the games and did not get wrapped up in the whole RPI, SOS, CRAP stuff.

And it was obvious that UK was #1 and Duke and Wisconsin were 2A and 2B.

The tourney should have been set up like this:

Midwest- UK/KU vs. West- Zona/Zaga.
East- Duke/Nova vs. South- UW/UVA.

Everyone of the 1 and 2 seeds would have been pretty close geographically except UW and they would still be closer than they ended up being playing out West.

With that set up, we likely get the four true contenders in the Final Four.

So Zona gets robbed of a Final Four, Michigan St. lucks into that spot. UK has to play a revenge minded UW in the semis, UW puts everything they have into beating the Cats and have nothing left for Duke, the Devils get a team that had no business being there in MSU (which they breezed through) and the Dukies win the title.

Just my theory. I don't think they meant to hand the title to Duke, I just think they wanted a Duke/UK matchup in the title game and thought that the way they set it up really gave that the best chance of happening. Unfortunately, it didn't work out.

A friend of mine has a different theory, he says the NCAA wanted UW to win the title because they wanted to reward Kaminsky for coming back and saying NBA bball wasn't as exciting as NCAA hoops. He says they do not want OAD players to win it all, they want four year guys to win it. They want to reward those teams that keep their kids in school. He says Duke just got in the way.

It's all about money, though, so I can't see them wanting a Wisconsin team in the title game. That doesn't scream ratings bonanza like UK/Duke would. My theory is driven by money, which is why I think it's more feasible.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Here are the Kenpom ratings: UK (239,34,26,9,3) and Duke (176,27,8,7,15,3). If you remove Hampton and Robert Morris, the average is 18 vs. 12. I agree on ND, btw, but even adjusting for that, at worst Duke's and UK's 'degree of difficulty' seem very similar. So if we had a cake walk, so did UK. If UK didn't, then Duke didn't either. Now if you're a UW fan, then I think you have a legit complaint, their path was friggin hard.

Its good to know that Notre Dame was a great team because when Duke beat them by 30 in February, this forum was hardly impressed. The comments were things such as: "Notre Dame plays no defense", "Notre Dame can't guard anybody" etc. etc. They give Kentucky a huge scare and all of a sudden the Irish are UNLV ala 1991 or something. Interesting how that works.. Most of us knew the Irish were very good, way before they played Kentucky.

Kentucky hardly had a murderers row to get to Indy, outside of their regional final it was smooth sailing. Duke didn't either for that matter, though Gonzaga with one of the best offenses in the nation put up a good fight but they could not score down the stretch against Duke's defense. In fact, a team averaging around 80 per game didn't score the last six minutes of the game. Utah did give Duke a tough fight because midway through the second half they started mixing up defenses like crazy, it did cause some disruption a nd the game tightened up but nobody in Houston had an answer for Justise Winslow as he came up with big plays every time they were needed.

You don't get extra stars on the banner for who you played, if you did then Wisconsin's Runner Up Banner would be full of stars as they played UNC, Arizona, Kentucky and Duke. You have to win 6 games to win a National Title, that's the only requirement. 6 wins. Duke was in the final waiting for Kentucky or Wisconsin.

As to OP, probably another 3-4 years for K, or unless the formaldehyde runs out. LOL.

Reactions: CUT-NETS
Not usually a conspiracy theorist, but this is my theory.

I think Duke was given the easiest path.

The NCAA and their sponsors were chomping at the bit at the idea of a Duke/UK final. I don't think they were as confident in Duke getting to the title game as they were UK, so they made the path a little easier for Duke.

They knew Duke and UK would both breeze to the Elite Eight. The other two games were iffy. Both UK and Duke were given good matchups for the Regional final. UK was suppose to play a KU team they already throttled. Duke was given a glorified mid-major Gonzaga.

Now the other regionals were set up to make sure Duke survived to the title with the idea that UK would be there no matter who they played. So Duke would play a weak opponent in the national semis. So the East bracket had Nova, which had no business being a 1 seed and a limping UVA team as the 2, keeping Duke's path to the title wide open.

It's either that or the NCAA selection committee buys into the computer ranking crap so much that they couldn't tell who was for real and who was a fraud.

Nova should not have been a 1 seed. No way. They did not pass the eye test and in the end they fell hard.

Zona was more deserving of the 1. Everyone knew this that actually watched the games and did not get wrapped up in the whole RPI, SOS, CRAP stuff.

And it was obvious that UK was #1 and Duke and Wisconsin were 2A and 2B.

The tourney should have been set up like this:

Midwest- UK/KU vs. West- Zona/Zaga.
East- Duke/Nova vs. South- UW/UVA.

Everyone of the 1 and 2 seeds would have been pretty close geographically except UW and they would still be closer than they ended up being playing out West.

With that set up, we likely get the four true contenders in the Final Four.

So Zona gets robbed of a Final Four, Michigan St. lucks into that spot. UK has to play a revenge minded UW in the semis, UW puts everything they have into beating the Cats and have nothing left for Duke, the Devils get a team that had no business being there in MSU (which they breezed through) and the Dukies win the title.

Just my theory. I don't think they meant to hand the title to Duke, I just think they wanted a Duke/UK matchup in the title game and thought that the way they set it up really gave that the best chance of happening. Unfortunately, it didn't work out.

A friend of mine has a different theory, he says the NCAA wanted UW to win the title because they wanted to reward Kaminsky for coming back and saying NBA bball wasn't as exciting as NCAA hoops. He says they do not want OAD players to win it all, they want four year guys to win it. They want to reward those teams that keep their kids in school. He says Duke just got in the way.

It's all about money, though, so I can't see them wanting a Wisconsin team in the title game. That doesn't scream ratings bonanza like UK/Duke would. My theory is driven by money, which is why I think it's more feasible.

Seriously though isn't it what fans do POST-NCAA Tournament? ? they blame how the regions were set up. THREE # 1 seeds made the Final Four, first time since 2008. What has been some of the complaints in recent years about the NCAA'S? one major one has been about how the elite teams in any given year aren't making it to the Final Four and people aren't getting exciting matchups to watch. People got greater matchups and a Final Four full of name teams and three # 1 seeds in 2015 so apparently the committee got something right. For all the whining about regions, Duke 's region except for Iowa State held together. The # 1 and # 2 seeds played for the Final Four. As for the East Region, well it was a red hot mess but wasn't many on this board high on Virginia most of the year and there were comments made that they even deserved a # 1 seed. Michigan State beat them and beat Louisville so the Spartans made some of their own luck. (Neither Villanova nor Arizona had a resume of wins that blowed anybody away. )

I am curious to see what happens to Duke after K retires.

I suspect a UCLA after Wooden type demise. They will still be relevant, but will find Final Fours and titles fewer and farther between as they search for the next legend to be their coach.

I think K will do everything in his power to make sure they hire one of his former players to replace him. That way if they are successful he can still take credit and if they fail he can just say that no one could replace him anyway at least one of his guys got some cash out of it.

I think he's much closer to the end than commonly believed. He'll be 69 during the next season. Not many coaches push it past 70, and those who do don't fare very well. I can't see him there more than another 2-3 years, tops.

His pattern for the past 15 years has been 2-3 early flame outs then a break-through year.

Duke has only been to the Elite Eight or beyond 3 times since the 2004 season -- to their credit they've won it twice, but they've also lost in the first round three times and the second round a time or two.

Duke's day is coming to an end. The rest of K's tenure will be about the transition. Their team doesn't scare me. Only Rupp Rafter's resident Clown-in-Chief sees Luke Kennard as the next great player.

I don't agree with this whatsoever. I don't think that's even on his radar as of yet, he's recruiting with the full intention to go after it. A couple of years from now that may be more applicable.

And I would take a National Championship in exchange for a few flameouts. (And certainly 2 Natties for that matter)

Seriously though isn't it what fans do POST-NCAA Tournament? ? they blame how the regions were set up. THREE # 1 seeds made the Final Four, first time since 2008. What has been some of the complaints in recent years about the NCAA'S? one major one has been about how the elite teams in any given year aren't making it to the Final Four and people aren't getting exciting matchups to watch. People got greater matchups and a Final Four full of name teams and three # 1 seeds in 2015 so apparently the committee got something right. For all the whining about regions, Duke 's region except for Iowa State held together. The # 1 and # 2 seeds played for the Final Four. As for the East Region, well it was a red hot mess but wasn't many on this board high on Virginia most of the year and there were comments made that they even deserved a # 1 seed. Michigan State beat them and beat Louisville so the Spartans made some of their own luck. (Neither Villanova nor Arizona had a resume of wins that blowed anybody away. )

I had UK, UW, Duke, and Zona as my 1 seeds before the tourney began. I heard all the arguments against Zona and for Nova and I disagreed. I did not see them being on the same level.

Nova was a weak 1 seed and they were suppose to be the #2 overall no less. That was a bone head move, IMHO. At least put them as the last 1 seed and Zona as their 2 and settle it on the court. Why not? It puts Duke and UW on the same side.

I stand by my 1 seeds. It's a moot point, but I believe that regardless of the reason the committee did a horrible job seeding the top line.

I thought this from the start and it played out to support my beliefs. The best regional final besides UK/ND was UW/Zona. Zona was clearly the best 2 seed and should have been a 1. UW was definitely not the worst 1 seed.

ND probably deserved a 2 seed, but it was a hard call between them and KU and in the end being one line lower did not hurt them.

I think he's much closer to the end than commonly believed. He'll be 69 during the next season. Not many coaches push it past 70, and those who do don't fare very well. I can't see him there more than another 2-3 years, tops.

His pattern for the past 15 years has been 2-3 early flame outs then a break-through year.

Duke has only been to the Elite Eight or beyond 3 times since the 2004 season -- to their credit they've won it twice, but they've also lost in the first round three times and the second round a time or two.

Duke's day is coming to an end. The rest of K's tenure will be about the transition. Their team doesn't scare me. Only Rupp Rafter's resident Clown-in-Chief sees Luke Kennard as the next great player.

I think 70 is no longer the magic number. More and more people are still active and many are still able to work well into their 70's.

I give him about five more before his family finally tells him to give it up and enjoy his golden years.

They'll have to remove both him and Vitale kicking and screaming.
coachk.gif
276b4e2cb166c8ed64c19132d8780fb0_i.jpg

Reactions: Smashcat

Again, Utah finished one ahead of ND in Kenpom despite the amazing dearth of quality wins.

ND beat Mich State, UNCheat (twice), NC State, Duke (twice), and Louisville
Utah beat Wichita State and UCLA

I wonder who most teams would rather face?

Reactions: LineSkiCat
K will be 69 next winter but it won't matter.

I could see him coaching well into his seventies. The man lives for his legacy and simply doesn't know how to do anything else. He basically is the personification of Duke basketball, and I feel he'd wither away if he stepped down.

On a related note, he's more of a self promoter than Cal could ever dream of being, only without the flare. He's discreet in his self-promotion, so the media rarely paints him that way, but it's unmistakable to the outside observer who actually watches how he degrades officials, condescends to opponents by venturing in their locker rooms for speeches, or talks down OAD for years, only to change course entirely. He is cushioned, protected, and he understands the landscape he currently operates within. As a result of his near-legendary status, K will continue to woo the Jayson Tatum's of the basketball universe - the OAD pedigree types who don't want the amplified recruiting stigma that comes with what Calipari's detractors are offering on the recruiting trail. With USA Basketball firmly entrenched beneath his vice grip, K will continue on and play the "We do OAD the right way" card; and you know what - it will work for him.

Those of you expecting a retirement anytime soon from K will be sorely disappointed. The man lives for his job. He literally can't operate any other way. The question will ultimately become whether studs will want to play for a crusty old Midwesterner pushing into his eighties, even if that coach is a living legend. I think a certain type of kid - OAD guys who think they're better than Kentucky and Cal - will continue to flock to K up until the point when health issues force him out of the game. That could be some time.

Last edited:
I'm sure he wants to pass Wooden and the NCAA seems like they're willing to help him do it...

There's no question that everyone who presses the meaningful buttons of influence - media, NCAA, corporate sponsors - want K to win a few more titles and remain the face of college basketball until he's rotting on the pine as a virtual skeleton.

K will be 69 next winter but it won't matter.

I could see him coaching well into his seventies. The man lives for his legacy and simply doesn't know how to do anything else. He basically is the personification of Duke basketball, and I feel he'd wither away if he stepped down.

On a related note, he's more of a self promoter than Cal could ever dream of being, only without the flare. He's discreet in his self-promotion, so the media rarely paints him that way, but it's unmistakable to the outside observer who actually watches how he degrades officials, condescends to opponents by venturing in their locker rooms for speeches, or talks down OAD for years, only to change course entirely. He is cushioned, protected, and he understands the landscape he currently operates within. As a result of his near-legendary status, K will continue to woo the Jayson Tatum's of the basketball universe - the OAD pedigree types who don't want the amplified recruiting stigma that comes with what Calipari's detractors are offering on the recruiting trail. With USA Basketball firmly entrenched beneath his vice grip, K will continue on and play the "We do OAD the right way" card; and you know what - it will work for him.

Those of you expecting a retirement anytime soon from K will be sorely disappointed. The man lives for his job. He literally can't operate any other way. The question will ultimately become whether studs will want to play for a crusty old Midwesterner pushing into his eighties, even if that coach is a living legend. I think a certain type of kid - OAD guys who think they're better than Kentucky and Cal - will continue to flock to K up until the point when health issues force him out of the game. That could be some time.

Well put. Very well put. This is the reason I want Coach K gone as soon as possible. Dude operates on a different level than everyone else. People can scoff at Cal for his recruiting. Well he has to work his ass off to get these guys. He takes lots of personal time for these trips, and probably sacrifices a bit of coaching as well. Coach K is afforded things that none of the other 350 coaches get. I don't mind losing to WVU in 2010 or Uconn in 2011. I don't mind UNC winning it all in 2009. Despite hating them, that team was STACKED. They all earned it. It sucked. But they deserved those wins. It's just hard to look at Duke sometimes, seeing what they get gift-wrapped every year, and say "Yeah, they deserved that win/title".

With out Coach K, I don't think Duke gets the calls and I don't think they get the same help from the NCAASC.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
K will turn 69 during next season. He seriously doesn't have many years left, unless he wants to be coaching well into his 70's, but my guess is that we see him wind down in the next few years, and likely gone within 5. All of his contemporaries like Rupp, Knight, Smith, and Wooden - none of them coached past 70 or so.

So Duke fans think ND sucked? After losing to them twice? It goes to show you when they play good they could beat anybody and when they couldn't hit broad side of a barn they will lose. They played well against Duke twice and won and they played well against UK and almost won.

Face it Duke played several mid major esque programs on their way to the FF and got a program (Mich St) that was very lucky to even be in the tourney for how they played during most of the year. You can put up numbers on a team all you want but if that team plays nobody all year and has never even accomplished anything for its entire existence how can you proclaim them to be this and that? Murray St is a mid major that was left out but yet they didn't play anybody and thats why they were left out.

Duke gets the benefit of the doubt on any call, has been that way for years. I doubt that Duke would have won the title if it wasn't for the refs bailing them out and calling everything on Wisconsin. When they got up big on Duke thats when the dynamics of the game changed with the refs.

I think that is what most UK fans are pissed at. We do not get the treatment that Duke gets and we got it handed to us by the refs in our game.

So Duke fans think ND sucked? After losing to them twice? It goes to show you when they play good they could beat anybody and when they couldn't hit broad side of a barn they will lose. They played well against Duke twice and won and they played well against UK and almost won.

Face it Duke played several mid major esque programs on their way to the FF and got a program (Mich St) that was very lucky to even be in the tourney for how they played during most of the year. You can put up numbers on a team all you want but if that team plays nobody all year and has never even accomplished anything for its entire existence how can you proclaim them to be this and that? Murray St is a mid major that was left out but yet they didn't play anybody and thats why they were left out.

Duke gets the benefit of the doubt on any call, has been that way for years. I doubt that Duke would have won the title if it wasn't for the refs bailing them out and calling everything on Wisconsin. When they got up big on Duke thats when the dynamics of the game changed with the refs.

I think that is what most UK fans are pissed at. We do not get the treatment that Duke gets and we got it handed to us by the refs in our game.

Just one correction. They didn't play mid-major-esque programs... they played full on mid-majors. Utah, SDSU, and yes Gonzaga. These are mid-majors by the very definition. They have far easier schedules as a whole and will never start 4-5 players that could make it in the NBA. Anyone that thinks Gonzaga is better than ND is an idiot. You could even make a good argument for WVU over Gonzaga (despite the fact they we smoked them after they poked the beast).

The times I watched Gonzaga I was not impressed at all. They really struggled in long stretches of the game and their players were not athletes. They had some good players no doubt but they would not come close to beating Witchita St of last year.
Their star player would of been coming off the bench here.

ND was a matchup nightmare for us and most of the other teams.

I think if ND would have been the 3 seed in the West, they probably beat Zona and give Wisconsin fits as well.

Zaga was a great matchup for Duke. Duke's guards were better and their bigs were more athletic.

UK would have destroyed Zaga, IMHO.

The other three games before the Elite Eight were formalities.

I think K will overstay his time at duke but no one will tell him to leave.

By overstay, I believe his health, family, etc., will pressure him to retire but it's not in his makeup to do it.

It is going to be damn near impossible to get anyone a tenth as good as K.

Duke will turn into an Indiana type program. Which makes me glad to be a kentucky fan where no coach, player, etc., is bigger than the program.

Also think he really wants one last crack at the gold medal. After that then the countdown is on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT