ADVERTISEMENT

How many freshmen does UK take?

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
We lose a lot after this season but with CMP’s ability to use the transfer portal how many true freshmen do you envision he signs? He’s offered quite few.

He also recruits to a system so that factors in replacing guys. He will want experience in some spots.

Also I think once his 24-25 team gets to showcase his style and along with the excitement that BBN will exhibit I think his phone will be ringing off the hook post season with potential transfers.

I say at least 5, because it’s a deep class. You probably want 5 from ‘25 and 3 from ‘26 rather than 4 from each, if that makes sense. ‘25 is the stronger class, so stockpile more from that class. After this class, only get 3-4 Freshmen a year most years.

Just a guess nothing more I think he gets 4-5 Freshman.
Would be my guess also, but like you said it’s nothing but a guess. My thought is that if UK returns the five guys that can return (which I’m assuming will happen), then I think UK will need a top PG and PF from the portal at a minimum. If UK adds Moreno, Johnson, and a freshman PF and 2G/SF, then that’s 11 guys. The 12th player could be from either the portal or high school depending on who’s available to fill the need, but again I would lean toward a 3rd guy from the portal. I think any more than 12 players would be for future development rather than playing any kind of role next year.

My guess will be 3 or 4. IF retention and development are going to be a strong suit of this program like we expect, it would be hard to go above 4.

Assuming we buy the JJ smoke tonight you could be looking at:
JJ/Perry
Oweh
Chandler/Noah
Empty 4 spot
Garrison/Moreno

We would have already spent some hefty NIL I’m guessing but that’s a great foundation. I think a guy you can theoretically plug into the 4 spot becomes the biggest need and hopefully opportunity for Pope. No competition(yet) at the spot and now recruits could see who they might be playing with a little more, making it even more enticing.

Give me Ament(I can dream) and one of Mullins or Tounde and Pope would be off to a start that truly would’ve felt unimaginable that night the news leaked of his hire.

I say at least 5, because it’s a deep class. You probably want 5 from ‘25 and 3 from ‘26 rather than 4 from each, if that makes sense. ‘25 is the stronger class, so stockpile more from that class. After this class, only get 3-4 Freshmen a year most years.
Agree. But you will never turn away an Elite prospect if they want to attend. Also, it will depend year to year on who plays above expectations and leaves. It is a yearly guessing game, hopefully we will get to where we can depend on 3/4 solid guys, even a couple of leaders from the year before who didn't enter the draft or graduate. If we could have say, 4/5 players who played a significant role the previous season come back, it makes everything so much easier. They are talented, know the system, and takes pressure off of having to sign a huge class whether it be high school or portal guys. I am saying less "guess" work to fill major spots. You are always going to have holes to fill, but the fewer the better. Actual recruit for a want instead of need.

Think 6 is possible this class just due to all the guys we'll lose. I would say 4-5 is likely. Will probably depend on who we can get.

Going forward I'd imagine most will have 2-4 at most.

I think 5-6..

4-5 in fall period and 1-2 in the spring.

Fall
Moreno-100%
Johnson-80% favorite
Yesofou-60% favorite(my guess, no inside info)
Mullins-40% Co-favorite with Indiana/UConn(my guess)
Ament-40% not sure, but love his game/size and I think he is intrigued with Pope’s offense, plus Pope was recruiting him at BYU before he blew up.

Spring
No one or Wilson or Cenac or Magwood(would love to see another Ky kid and pg, but he may not like the crowded room and being a last minute add)

I think 2-3 portal guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT