ADVERTISEMENT

How Long until UK is seen similarly as Indiana

Dec 9, 2020
From the 50's until 2000 or so, Indiana was seen as the Bluest of Blue Bloods. But extended and continued failures in the NCAA tourney after that has relegated Indiana to a point where they are not generally considered a Blue Blood anymore, after 60 years of huge success and like 10-15 years of what one could describe as average program results. Same thing happened with UCLA and MSU. And to some extent, other programs as well.

Yearly performance matters. History is constantly being created and if a program doesn't continue to succeed at a high level, it can be relegated to a point where it is not really a current Blue Blood anymore.

Considering this run of failures with/by Calipari, how much longer until UK is relegated to the "has been" Blue Blood status?
  • 2018, Kentucky: Lost Sweet 16
  • 2019, Kentucky: Lost Elite Eight
  • 2021, Kentucky: Didn't Qualify for NCAA Tournament -- 9-16 record
  • 2022, Kentucky: Lost first round
  • 2023, Kentucky: Lost second round
  • 2024, Kentucky: Lost first round
I mean if you are 19 years old today, you have to go back to when you were in 6th grade to recall when UK was relevant.

Thoughts?

Reactions: EliteBlue and zcats
From the 50's until 2000 or so, Indiana was seen as the Bluest of Blue Bloods. But extended and continued failures in the NCAA tourney after that has relegated Indiana to a point where they are not generally considered a Blue Blood anymore, after 60 years of huge success and like 10-15 years of what one could describe as average program results. Same thing happened with UCLA and MSU. And to some extent, other programs as well.

Yearly performance matters. History is constantly being created and if a program doesn't continue to succeed at a high level, it can be relegated to a point where it is not really a current Blue Blood anymore.

Considering this run of failures with/by Calipari, how much longer until UK is relegated to the "has been" Blue Blood status?
I mean if you are 19 years old today, you have to go back to when you were in 6th grade to recall when UK was relevant.

Thoughts?

Your use of stats is, let's say, a bit goofy. We lost in the E8 in 2019 and yes we were relevant. We had a pretty good team in 2020 as well. We were 15 and 3 in the SEC in both 19 and 20.

I am not happy at all with the last 4 years but we are still a far cry from IU.

We need to make a change so we don't turn into Archie Miller - Present Indiana. It'll be hard to come back from that.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I

Thoughts?
don't think we are too far off right now. What has Cal done over the last 6 years, basically nothing, but turn UK into and NBA farm team.

Thoughts?
Just reading the last four years is unbelievable.

I've said this for years. It's happening right now. Read the emotions of this board. Apathetic. And many have clung to their diety for far too long. I've grow up in Indiana and saw it first hand. This is the second time I've witnessed a great program crumble due to failure to act. Kentucky basketball needs a lifeline right now. No hyperbole.

Thoughts?
I said the same thing a month or so ago and people bashed me saying we are no where near IU. My point was if we bury our head in the sand we will not realize that we are heading that way swiftly.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
This program will never come back. NIL and transfer portal are game changers. We won’t get a big time coach. We will hire a long shot and hope for best.

Duke, UNC and some others will thrive. Duke gets so much free media. They could hire Kenny billie Clyde and get top recruits

I said the same thing a month or so ago and people bashed me saying we are no where near IU. My point was if we bury our head in the sand we will not realize that we are heading that way swiftly.

I think that is accurate. We are heading that way swiftly. I was hoping that this would be the turnaround year but it wasn't. It is time for a change.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Friend, you won’t want to hear this but we are on the doorstep already and it may be too late to fix it. If Cal stays on next season or if he leaves and we don’t get a home run hire to replace him, that’s it. It’s over.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
I am stunned at the number of people who only get it now after the Oakland loss. It started at IU when IU fans started excusing Knight’s losses in season with “wait until March” nonsense. The IU fans were more loyal to a coach than the program. Now the program is a dumpster fire. No talented kids truly put IU on their list. The Knight loyalists furthered damaged the program by bring in a “Knight guy” because that would be the answer.

Calipari lovers started with the Camp Cal nonsense and then moved to wait until March always citing an underperforming that team caught fire in the tournament. Given the constant roster turnover, what one team did previously is irrelevant to any current team.

The decline has been going on for several years and it is going to get worse, a lot worse, before it gets better.

Your use of stats is, let's say, a bit goofy. We lost in the E8 in 2019 and yes we were relevant. We had a pretty good team in 2020 as well. We were 15 and 3 in the SEC in both 19 and 20.

I am not happy at all with the last 4 years but we are still a far cry from IU.
Far cry from IU? That’s optimistic. We may not be irrelevant but we are certainly dead in the water.

And we’re dead in the water because we can’t remove the problem. A horrible kind of self-inflicted limbo.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
In my opinion the Indiana comparison is foolish. People are taking the lack of success(like Indiana) and translating it to lack of relevance.

Even with all the down seasons we are still one of the most relevant programs. The stat UK tweeted out about 10 of the top 25 most viewed games being UK and no one else being close was telling.

Now where I’d agree with you is if we fire Cal, lose the NBA type talent, and continue losing for an extended time.

Cal’s coaching hasn’t been good but tournament luck is finally catching up to the guy. Those early years had tons of postseason luck that’s finally catching up to him imo.

Reactions: bthaunert
Far cry from IU? That’s optimistic. We may not be irrelevant but we are certainly dead in the water.

And we’re dead in the water because we can’t remove the problem. A horrible kind of self-inflicted limbo.

I agree we are dead in the water and I would even agree with saying that for the past 4 years. But, IU has been dead in the water for a LONG LONG time. In the timeframe listed above IU has 1 NCAA tournament win. We have an E8 and Sweet 16 in that timeframe.

Yes, we are in trouble and we need a change but we have to be honest with the facts.

I am stunned at the number of people who only get it now after the Oakland loss. It started at IU when IU fans started excusing Knight’s losses in season with “wait until March” nonsense. The IU fans were more loyal to a coach than the program. Now the program is a dumpster fire. No talented kids truly put IU on their list. The Knight loyalists furthered damaged the program by bring in a “Knight guy” because that would be the answer.

Calipari lovers started with the Camp Cal nonsense and then moved to wait until March always citing an underperforming that team caught fire in the tournament. Given the constant roster turnover, what one team did previously is irrelevant to any current team.

The decline has been going on for several years and it is going to get worse, a lot worse, before it gets better.
You and I have lived through it. We have seen the blueprint. I remember a few years ago people thought it was crazy talk.

The meal is over folks, time to pay the bill.

I agree we are dead in the water and I would even agree with saying that for the past 4 years. But, IU has been dead in the water for a LONG LONG time. In the timeframe listed above IU has 1 NCAA tournament win. We have an E8 and Sweet 16 in that timeframe.

Yes, we are in trouble and we need a change but we have to be honest with the facts.
We are where IU once was. They didn't think they'd end up where they are now either. Don't think it can get worse? Just ask them.

I have a daily fantasy group that I talk ball with daily. They are from around the country half the group was picking Oakland over UK.

We aren't Indiana yet but we're not as far away as some may think. Personally I think it would take whoever replaces Cal to continue having the same results. Right now it's a Cal problem once it's more than one coach it's a UK problem. Digging out of that gets harder with every year. The next coach has to win big right away.... we can't miss.

I've said this for years. It's happening right now. Read the emotions of this board. Apathetic. And many have clung to their diety for far too long. I've grow up in Indiana and saw it first hand. This is the second time I've witnessed a great program crumble due to failure to act. Kentucky basketball needs a lifeline right now. No hyperbole.
This. My parents moved to Indiana when I was young. Always been a UK fan even though I graduated from IU. Never, ever been an IU fan even while on campus. IU fans thought they were indestructible. Now look at them. The college game is changing rapidly and UK is getting left behind. There are far too many who foolishly believe what happened to IU could never happen at UK.

I tried to tell people was back in 2020 that we were in danger of being like Indiana in a few years. Well, it's happened.

Pretty damn close. I just hope that when this Calipari period of destruction is over the program won't be so destroyed that they can't find a coach to take on the task of rebuilding it.

Pretty damn close. I just hope that when this Calipari period of destruction is over the program won't be so destroyed that they can't find a coach to take on the task of rebuilding it.
We’re not UofL. We’re not under sanction and we still have the second most titles and the most wins. Someone hungry would LOVE this challenge.

Cal has already put us on that trajectory. The question is do we veer off or stay on that path? If Cal is coach next year, we stay on that path. If Cal leaves and we get a bad hire, we stay on that path. A good hire will help us veer off it. I don't trust Mitch to make the right call.

I think we're already there. Four years of mediocrity. Cal is transitioning us to a has been program.
It's actually been at least 10 years of mediocrity (when taken as a whole), with 4-5 years of very poor performance by our standards.

We are not in Indiana territory. Indiana can't even sign any recruits and I don't even recall their most recent success. I'm not trying to prop up kentucky today but I damn sure won't say anything to prop up indiana by extension.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT