ADVERTISEMENT

How is the spring depth chart developing?

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
Our spring practices are closed to the public, but I think we are beginning to get an idea how the depth chart may be developing. Let's compare perceptions.

I am not including true freshmen who didn't enroll in January, although several may make the coaches' depth chart by October.

I am not including JJ Weaver because he is recovering from ACL surgery and it's anyone's guess when he will be 100%. Once he is ready, Weaver is one of the best players on our defense.

I am leaving Will Levis off the depth chart because he will enroll during the summer.

I am leaving Naasir Watkins off this chart because Coach Stoops' remarks have suggested Watkins hasn't been healthy enough to compete at his best for the last year. But once September comes, I expect Watkins to be somewhere on the depth chart at one of the OT positions.

So I am speculating about the depth chart right now this spring, NOT the depth chart next fall. How close is the following to the current reality this spring? What am I missing?

QB- Gatewood, Allen

RB- Rodriguez, Smoke

WR- Ali, Thomas

WR- Epps, Cummings

WR- Robinson, Drennen

TE- Upshaw, Rigg

LT- Kinnard, Lewis

LG- Dotson, Horsey

C- Wilson, Cox

RG- Fortner, Burton

RT- Flax, Buford

DE- Paschal, Gibson

DE- Hayes, Abadi-Fitzgerald

NT- McCall, Rogers

Jack- Wright, Dingle

Mike- Jackson, Fulton

Will- Square, Casey

Sam- McDaniel, Davis

CB- Valentine, Geiger

CB- Dort, Phillips

S- Ajian, Robinson

S- Corker, Tisdale

Our spring practices are closed to the public, but I think we are beginning to get an idea how the depth chart may be developing. Let's compare perceptions.

I am not including true freshmen who didn't enroll in January, although several may make the coaches' depth chart by October.

I am not including JJ Weaver because he is recovering from ACL surgery and it's anyone's guess when he will be 100%. Once he is ready, Weaver is one of the best players on our defense.

I am leaving Will Levis off the depth chart because he will enroll during the summer.

I am leaving Naasir Watkins off this chart because Coach Stoops' remarks have suggested Watkins hasn't been healthy enough to compete at his best for the last year. But once September comes, I expect Watkins to be somewhere on the depth chart at one of the OT positions.

So I am speculating about the depth chart right now this spring, NOT the depth chart next fall. How close is the following to the current reality this spring? What am I missing?

QB- Gatewood, Allen

RB- Rodriguez, Smoke

WR- Ali, Thomas

WR- Epps, Cummings

WR- Robinson, Drennen

TE- Upshaw, Rigg

LT- Kinnard, Lewis

LG- Dotson, Horsey

C- Wilson, Cox

RG- Fortner, Burton

RT- Flax, Buford

DE- Paschal, Gibson

DE- Hayes, Abadi-Fitzgerald

NT- McCall, Rogers

Jack- Wright, Dingle

Mike- Jackson, Fulton

Will- Square, Casey

Sam- McDaniel, Davis

CB- Valentine, Geiger

CB- Dort, Phillips

S- Ajian, Robinson

S- Corker, Tisdale

That’s probably a pretty good guess for the most part, but based on what the coaches have said in a few interviews, I’d guess the following:

- SLB: McDaniel, Bembry
Davis has moved back to RB from LB, so I’d pencil in Bembry at SLB

- WR: Robinson, Magwood
The coaches have mentioned Magwood a couple of times as stepping up, and there has been mention of Drennen being behind due to recovering from a minor injury at the beginning

- NB: Tisdale, D Robinson
Due to so many spread offenses, I think this position may be on the field about as much as the SLB, so I think we can consider it almost a starting position.

That’s probably a pretty good guess for the most part, but based on what the coaches have said in a few interviews, I’d guess the following:

- SLB: McDaniel, Bembry
Davis has moved back to RB from LB, so I’d pencil in Bembry at SLB

- WR: Robinson, Magwood
The coaches have mentioned Magwood a couple of times as stepping up, and there has been mention of Drennen being behind due to recovering from a minor injury at the beginning

- NB: Tisdale, D Robinson
Due to so many spread offenses, I think this position may be on the field about as much as the SLB, so I think we can consider it almost a starting position.
McDaniel I believe is back at Jack and Bembry right now is with the ones at Sam. In saying that Vito and Drob will be the starters at Sam.

McDaniel I believe is back at Jack and Bembry right now is with the ones at Sam. In saying that Vito and Drob will be the starters at Sam.
I realize one website listed Vito Tisdale as a LB late last year. But he never played in a game as a LB, although sometimes in some alignments it isn't easy to distinguish between a nickel and a LB. Vito is a nickel and a safety. By 2022, he will be a starting safety.

Last edited:
LG- Dotson, Horsey
You've likely heard some Spring interview I have missed, or other chatter, but I thought Horsey played at a high level last year, and would likely start at a guard spot, again.

Mike- Jackson, Fulton
You just have to love this staff.

D'Erick Jackson was our lowest ranked recruit in '20, slept in his car to attend a camp, here, had a pick against MSU last year, and is slated to play a key role this Fall.

This player will have his name called on a draft day in two/three years, and the football world will shake it's head like they have with Josh Allen and Jamin Davis!

Agree with Sanders.. Nickel Back is basically a starting position like baseball relief pitcher. UK having guys who can match up with different receivers helps. Lot and is a sign of depth. JJ Weaver was a big time prospect. Sure hope he gets healthy and in the rotation. Two Deep looks good. Real SEC Football talent. UK Pro days are going to be more interesting.

You've likely heard some Spring interview I have missed, or other chatter, but I thought Horsey played at a high level last year, and would likely start at a guard spot, again.
My understanding is that the competition between Dotson and Horsey has been neck and neck for a year. Horsey got hurt last year and Dotson got some starts. Comments this spring from Coach Stoops strongly suggest they are very pleased with Dotson now, and that he has really made strides this spring. Plus, he is fully healthy. So I am surmising Dotson is currently ahead in the competition but both will play a lot. If Horsey gets fully healthy again, maybe it swings back in his direction.

You really have to admire Horsey. He has fought through one illness or injury after another. How many SEC football players have to overcome heart surgery?

Last edited:
Heart is hurting for Jackson. Hope we have someone who can step up or we find a transfer quick. If there's some high 3 or 4 star stuck 3 deep on a roster somewhere, maybe they'd take a detour to Lexington
Casey was getting reps there, according to Sumrall. I am not sure Stoops knows exactly who will fill that void.

Reactions: Girthang
Casey was getting reps there, according to Sumrall. I am not sure Stoops knows exactly who will fill that void.

We’re deep enough to shift a body, or two.

But D’Erick Jackson is developing into our next Josh Allen/Jamin Davis story.

I’m sick about the injury, but all doors will still be open for him . . . Covid means last year d/n count, and he can spend a few months on core classes and aim for some post-graduate work, before he’s done.

Selfishly, I wanted to see the biggin’ ramblin’ around in ‘21, but we all get to see him in ‘22, and thereafter.

I realize one website listed Vito Tisdale as a LB late last year. But he never played in a game as a LB, although sometimes in some alignments it isn't easy to distinguish between a nickel and a LB. Vito is a nickel and a safety. By 2022, he will be a starting safety.
You can call it whatever you want but Vito is replacing a bigger Sam and still playing the sam lol. He’s a backer essentially. White has said as much in his interviews.

My understanding is that the competition between Dotson and Horsey has been neck and neck for a year. Horsey got hurt last year and Dotson got some starts. Comments this spring from Coach Stoops strongly suggest they are very pleased with Dotson now, and that he has really made strides this spring. Plus, he is fully healthy. So I am surmising Dotson is currently ahead in the competition but both will play a lot. If Horsey gets fully healthy again, maybe it swings back in his direction.

You really have to admire Horsey. He has fought through one illness or injury after another. How many SEC football players have to overcome heart surgery?
I lik Dotson. got a little Stenberg nasty in him

You can call it whatever you want but Vito is replacing a bigger Sam and still playing the sam lol. He’s a backer essentially. White has said as much in his interviews.

From what I recall his mention of him as a lb was describing the fact that boundary linebacker and nickel back are the same position and concept, just different personnel. Backer when offense has base or heavy/12 personnel. Db in passing personnel or situations

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Agreed...
I think the master plan was to start JJ Weaver at Jack and move Jordan Wright to Sam this year. But when Weaver had an ACL injury...I think that idea went out the window. So I think to get Vito on the field, we'll try to play Bembry at Sam on pure run downs and quickly mix in Vito for a ton of downs as well.

Agreed...
I think the master plan was to start JJ Weaver at Jack and move Jordan Wright to Sam this year. But when Weaver had an ACL injury...I think that idea went out the window. So I think to get Vito on the field, we'll try to play Bembry at Sam on pure run downs and quickly mix in Vito for a ton of downs as well.

Agreed - Davonte Robinson is a guy that will probably alternate a good bit with Tisdale at the NB spot. Plus, DRob is listed at 6'2 213, so it isn't like he is a ton smaller than Square.

With the large number of bodies at safety, I had kinda hoped one of those guys could bulk up and slide into the WLB spot.

In regards to converting a S to LB, last year I had specifically wondered about Moses Douglass b/c he was 6'2 210-215ish when he signed out of high school, which is bigger than Square was when he signed. Plus, he was known as a big hitting safety in high school. Once Moses seemed to fall out of the 2-deep at safety, I wondered if he may be a good candidate to bulk up a little. Honestly, I still wonder why the staff doesn't recruit big, slightly slower safeties for the WLB position as it would minimize mismatches in coverage having the extra speed on the field.

Honestly, if he has the frame to add 20-25 pounds, I still wonder if that may not be the best move for Douglass. He appears to be buried in the depth chart at S, and there isn't amazing depth at ILB. He may not be able to help tremendously for 2021, but it could be a great transition for 2022 and beyond

For 2021
S/NB: Corker, Ajian, DRob, Tisdale, Dodson, Geiger
WLB: Square, Wallace, Douglass
MLB: Casey, Fulton.... I wonder if Torrance Davis may shift back again from RB

For 2022
S/NB: Taj Dodson, Hyatt, Tisdale, Geiger, Joel Williams (or is he still playing CB?)
WLB: Casey, Wallace, Douglass
MLB: Jackson, Fulton

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Truthfully, I wonder if the coaches will now watch the transfer portal to see if there are any good plug and play MLBs for the this fall to add depth.

From what I recall his mention of him as a lb was describing the fact that boundary linebacker and nickel back are the same position and concept, just different personnel. Backer when offense has base or heavy/12 personnel. Db in passing personnel or situations
They call them big and little more than anything. A lot of the same responsibilities. Obviously you want the bigger body to stop the run. I’m saying that if Vito proves to be better in all the phases he will stay on the field. We may have to sacrifice some girth to get our best players out there. Bembry just isn’t a great football player imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT