ADVERTISEMENT

How is Matt Jones good for our program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2023
He’s going over their case with Higgins for the 72nd time (I guess he’s proud of it for whatever reason) and it got me thinking…how is anything that dude does good for the program itself? I’d argue that other than “keeping fans connected”, almost everything he does and says is negative when it comes to stuff that actually affects the team.

It’s partially because of him that the coaching staff and team have hatred towards the fan base. He also has contributed to referees having a vendetta against us. Say what you want, but Higgins has buddies in the industry and there is no way MJ’s actions and arrogant ways haven’t rubbed some of them the wrong way. Him and Cal have been two of the biggest stains on the program imho.

But stoops “likes” him so I guess it’s all ok.

Last edited:
He’s going over their case with Higgins for the 72nd time (I guess he’s proud of it for whatever reason) and it got me thinking…how is anything that dude does good for the program itself? I’d argue that other than “keeping fans connected”, almost everything he does and says is negative when it comes to stuff that actually affects the team.

It’s partially because of him that the coaching staff and team have hatred towards the fan base. He also has contributed to referees having an vendetta against us. Say what you want, but Higgins has buddies in the industry and there is no way MJ’s actions and arrogant ways haven’t rubbed some of them the wrong way. Him and Cal have been two of the biggest stains on the program imho.

Dude, get a grip. Sounds like you have an unhealthy obsession with Jones. He's no different than any local sports guy on the radio. And he's not responsible for the behavior of other people. And recruits and players are not spending one second thinking about him. You should follow their example.

And yet you continue to listen to him. No one is forcing you to listen or even agree with him. It's like you listen to him so that you can run to a message board to complain about him...

Not really a healthy way to go about things...
I don’t listen to them outside football and basketball season.

I'm actually a KSR fan, I listen nearly every day - I don't have any real problems with any of the crew, to be totally honest.

BUT....

This is the absolutely best time for a competitor to arise and try to knock KSR off the top spot. I listen on podcast, and I'd say about the last 5 episodes (at least) I've had to fast-forward to about 20 minutes in before they actually start talking Kentucky sports. The debates, Matt's vacations, shows they stream, etc - the show has just consistently become less and less about Kentucky sports.

It's clear they have less ties than ever to the basketball program. None of them are actual basketball guys, little real knowledge on the game, nothing of depth. BUT, they always had connections, insider info, recruiting updates, etc. Now that they're losing that edge, man I just think now is a good time for someone else to swoop in.

I'm actually a KSR fan, I listen nearly every day - I don't have any real problems with any of the crew, to be totally honest.

BUT....

This is the absolutely best time for a competitor to arise and try to knock KSR off the top spot. I listen on podcast, and I'd say about the last 5 episodes (at least) I've had to fast-forward to about 20 minutes in before they actually start talking Kentucky sports. The debates, Matt's vacations, shows they stream, etc - the show has just consistently become less and less about Kentucky sports.

It's clear they have less ties than ever to the basketball program. None of them are actual basketball guys, little real knowledge on the game, nothing of depth. BUT, they always had connections, insider info, recruiting updates, etc. Now that they're losing that edge, man I just think now is a good time for someone else to swoop in.
I also listen about every day, mostly because I am living out of state and I like listening to something about Kentucky - the Commonwealth and the University. But the show is becoming increasingly tedious and obnoxious.

No one has more control over this fanbase than Matt Jones. What he says is gospel to many who post on this board especially those Tennessee defending weirdos who prop up UT to forward Matt Jones false NIL narrative.

It’s partially because of him that the coaching staff and team have hatred towards the fan base. He also has contributed to referees having an vendetta against us. Say what you want, but Higgins has buddies in the industry and there is no way MJ’s actions and arrogant ways haven’t rubbed some of them the wrong way. Him and Cal have been two of the biggest stains on the program imho.

So you can't stand him yet listen to his show. I happen to like KSR. IMO, he's hated by the group of UK fans who are mad that they couldn't come up with a website/talk show dedicated to UK sports. It's jealousy.

Hilarious that some posters here get so angry over Jones. He’s a radio personality? He’s not part of the program. He has absolutely no influence on anything concerning the program. He could go on air and say whatever he wants, doesn’t matter. If you don’t like, don’t listen and you won’t have to worry about it.

Funny - he’s accused of being a Cal lover for years and everyone complains about it. Now, he’s a supposed Cal hater and everyone complains? If you don’t like the guy, don’t listen.

There are no recruits or current players listening to his show and deciding to go elsewhere or leave. I promise you that.

Only listen to podcasts occasionally for the past few yrs. Enjoy the banter at times but it isn’t really a ‘sports’ show the way it used to be & he even agrees with that. He has stated on multiple occasions that because the callers aren’t as active towards sporting topics when compared to … let’s say the restaurant bracket … activity or level of caller interest lessens. It’s all for ‘show’ now it seems. It has transformed into whatever drives interest or increased interaction instead of a true sports program.

And yet you continue to listen to him. No one is forcing you to listen or even agree with him. It's like you listen to him so that you can run to a message board to complain about him...

Not really a healthy way to go about things...
I listen because I have to. Trust me, I can’t stand the guy.

Reactions: UKMKG
Dude, get a grip. Sounds like you have an unhealthy obsession with Jones. He's no different than any local sports guy on the radio. And he's not responsible for the behavior of other people. And recruits and players are not spending one second thinking about him. You should follow their example.
You clearly aren’t a regular listener. He is hurting the program whether you want to believe it or not. I know most want to just write it off as ridiculous, but it’s a fact.

No one has more control over this fanbase than Matt Jones. What he says is gospel to many who post on this board especially those Tennessee defending weirdos who prop up UT to forward Matt Jones false NIL narrative.
If it weren't for Matt Jones then Stoops would have a tenth of the amount of NIL money he currently does. A couple of players were making money, but not nearly enough of them were to actually build something around it. There's no collective if KSR didn't voice their (Stoops included) opinion on the subject.

The only reason Matt is all buddy buddy with the football staff is solely out of jealousy and hatred for the basketball staff and for them cutting ties with him. He is a piece of work. And it’s sad so much of the fan base lets him take advantage of them.

If it weren't for Matt Jones then Stoops would have a tenth of the amount of NIL money he currently does. A couple of players were making money, but not nearly enough of them were to actually build something around it. There's no collective if KSR didn't voice their (Stoops included) opinion on the subject.
There is no collective if KSR didn’t voice his opinion? What exactly are you basing this on? I guarantee you can’t say. There are multiple collectives and have been since NIL was a thing. Matt Jones cares about Jones and KSBar profiting. That’s the purpose UK serves for Matt Jones. He even has y’all making up stuff about NIL to forward his agenda. Matt Jones NIL concern is hosting NIL events at KSBar. Matt Jones doesn’t promote any of the multiple collectives we have.

LOL at every KSR sheep claiming that we have one collective. We had collectives in 2021, they think we have one collective that’s new and was started because of Matt Jones. The other KSR sheep claim Mitch Barnhart was forced to start a collective. The AD has a collective. I can’t stop laughing. They think the school created a collective and Matt Jones forced them to. Total ignorance.

Last edited:
Like others have stated above, I listen to the podcast almost every day, seldom if ever live.That way I can fast forward through all of Matt’s self serving BS. He thinks everyone that listens is sitting on the edge of their seats waiting to hear EVERY detail of his life. Then he goes even further BEGGING the listeners to help him promote his OWN various projects.

Then when they take calls, he puts them on hold FOREVER, cuts people off that correct him, don’t agree with him or want to talk about something that he may not have interest in but UK fans DO. And he wonders WHY they don’t get as many callers now than they used to. His cohosts, accept for STD, are all sycophants for Matt.

However, saying all of that, I truly believe he wants what is the very BEST for UK Athletics. Cal stopped giving him information when Matt started being critical of him in 2021. Matt does have the MOST info on UK Football now, which is great. He is CONSTANTLY also promoting the players of both sports and even the non-revenue ones.

But I also agree with @CatsFanIL, NOW would be the PERFECT time for a competitor to Jones to swoop in and take over.

Last edited:

The coaching staff has no hatred for UK fans. To a person they love the UK fans. They probably don't like matt jones. But what rational person would? But MJ is not a UK fan anyway. He's a dookie.

almost a page in and nobody has been able to provide anything good he does for the basketball program. It is all negative thanks to a personal vendetta. Prove me wrong.

Reactions: Big Blue in 502
I'm still waiting for your actual proof he's hurting the program. You said it's a "fact". So....
-Referees hate UK (partly Cal’s fault too obvs)

-Cal hates the fan base *to a degree* in part bc of jones

Two major things that go overlooked imho

Those sound suspiciously like opinions and theories, not "facts".

Cal not liking the fanbase has nothing to do with Jones, or even the fans. He takes shots at fans as a defense mechanism. It's easier to lash out at fans than to accept the reality that he just isn't a good coach anymore. He knows he's been exposed. But, easier to take petty shots at the fans. Ego protection.

You clearly aren’t a regular listener. He is hurting the program whether you want to believe it or not. I know most want to just write it off as ridiculous, but it’s a fact.

What is he saying that’s incorrect about the state of the basketball program? What Cal has done here is unacceptable over the past 4 years. I applaud MJ for speaking up and against the program. He isn’t the typical sports radio homer who acts like everything is fine when the program is in shambles.

Love how people listen, then complain. Nobody is forcing you to listen to him.

There is no collective? What exactly are you basing this on? There are multiple collectives and have been since NIL was a thing. Matt Jones cares about Jones and KSBar profiting. That’s the purpose UK serves for Matt Jones. He even has y’all making up stuff about NIL to forward his agenda. Matt Jones NIL concern is hosting NIL events at KSBar. Matt Jones doesn’t promote any of the multiple collectives we have.

LOL at every KSR sheep claiming that we have one collective. We had collectives in 2021, they think we have one collective that’s new and was started because of Matt Jones. The other KSR sheep claim Mitch Barnhart was forced to start a collective. The AD has a collective. I can’t stop laughing. They think the school created a collective and Matt Jones forced them to. Total ignorance.
The 15 Club is the only UK collective that fans can straight up donate to in order to help NIL. Kentucky was one of the final SEC schools to adopt this. It was not allowed at UK till mid-November. When Stoops went on KSR and said that NIL wasn't where it needed to be. Because before that the only way an average fan like myself who doesn't own a business could help out is by buying stupid ass NFT's or something else like that. If you think the UK collectives are so strong why is the 15 Club the only one that Stoops really cares about? The 15 Club is what could actually keep UK competitive in football. None of the other "collectives" were doing enough for football. That's not a Matt Jones statement. It's a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT