ADVERTISEMENT

Hot tub time machine recruiting. Who you bringing to UK if you could go back to the past?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
The first rule: be reasonable. Let's say you could take back footage of guys and show Rupp, Pitino, etc. how they turned out. Even so, remember that we were on guys like Webber, and they didn't want to be here. So the first rule is this: who could we reasonably land at UK if we had the time machine?

Here's some of my guys:

I'd show Rupp footage of Oscar Robertson.
I'd show Joe B. Hall footage of Larry Bird.
I'd show Sutton footage of Shawn Kemp (and tell him to turn a blind eye to the jewelry thing). I'm also showing him footage of Gary Payton, who would have been obtainable with major offers only from Texas El Paso, Oregon State, and St. John's. You put Payton and Kemp together at Kentucky?
I'd show Pitino footage of Gary Trent, Kerry Kittles, and my guy Allen Iverson (and press him to stay loyal to AI even after the bowling alley fight). I'd also show Pitino who Ray Allen ended up being, so he would be more humble on that infamous recruiting trip.
I'd show Tubby footage of Steph Curry.
I'd show Calipari footage of Ja Morant.

Reactions: chroix
88/89 would've been so different had Manual and Kemp played and Chapman came back.

Hard to say that Pitino should've done anything different imo.

Tubby's tenure was marked by guys leaving that should've stayed ~ Allison, Parker, Estill (Sr year), Azubuike, Morris (fax issued ruined his sophomore year) Rondo (Jr year), then Morris (Sr year)

Calipari had similar situations with 3 guys like that in Jodie Meeks, Dakari Johnson, and Ashton Hagans.

To your question, I think Tyler Hansborough would've been a great addition to the 05/06 team. The 4-yr drop off from that season until Calipari and Wall joined in 09/10 would've been dramatically different with Hansborough. Likewise, adding Chris Lofton from 04/05 to 07/08, although guards weren't really a big issue during that time.

I'd tell Pitino to make sure Sean Woods doesn't take Clifford Rozier to Louisville for a derby party, resulting in a recruiting violation and Rozier not being able to sign with the Cats, which he was going to. While I liked Rodney Dent, putting Rozier in the middle makes that 1993 team even better.....possibly a national champion.

Only one answer. Larry Bird

Top five player ever, no one else can compare. He carried Indiana St to the title game. At UK he wins

For a player leaving, I have always felt Meeks means we cut the nets in Cal's first year.

Dave Cowens. I think about it every time I'm on Dave Cowens drive in Newport.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I'd tell Pitino to make sure Sean Woods doesn't take Clifford Rozier to Louisville for a derby party, resulting in a recruiting violation and Rozier not being able to sign with the Cats, which he was going to. While I liked Rodney Dent, putting Rozier in the middle makes that 1993 team even better.....possibly a national champion.
Rozier would have been a perfect fit for that team, and would have been competent matchup against Webber. Rozier averaged 16 and 11 that season.

Reactions: Ugoff
The first rule: be reasonable. Let's say you could take back footage of guys and show Rupp, Pitino, etc. how they turned out. Even so, remember that we were on guys like Webber, and they didn't want to be here. So the first rule is this: who could we reasonably land at UK if we had the time machine?

Here's some of my guys:

I'd show Rupp footage of Oscar Robertson.
I'd show Joe B. Hall footage of Larry Bird.
I'd show Sutton footage of Shawn Kemp (and tell him to turn a blind eye to the jewelry thing). I'm also showing him footage of Gary Payton, who would have been obtainable with major offers only from Texas El Paso, Oregon State, and St. John's. You put Payton and Kemp together at Kentucky?
I'd show Pitino footage of Gary Trent, Kerry Kittles, and my guy Allen Iverson (and press him to stay loyal to AI even after the bowling alley fight). I'd also show Pitino who Ray Allen ended up being, so he would be more humble on that infamous recruiting trip.
I'd show Tubby footage of Steph Curry.
I'd show Calipari footage of Ja Morant.
Pitino did recruit Allen Iverson for a while. Until he was involved in a brawl at a bowling alley which resulted in Iverson throwing chairs. Say what you will about Pitino, but while he was at UK he recruited pretty much high character kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT