ADVERTISEMENT

Horse Race Handicappers

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
Since we are getting closer to the Derby, thought I would start a thread for handicappers. Rebel Stakes today at Oaklawn, but I have not looked at the form yet.

I did have a question about how I played a race yesterday at Turfway. I bet a race where a friend had an entry, which ran like crap, naturally, so the scenario below remains a hypothetical.

Horse was 15-1, in an 11 horse field. Initially, I played a $20 win ticket, assuming if I won, would make $300. But then, I cancelled, and took the same $20 and played a $2 exacta, my horse on top of the rest of the field, thinking it was more likely than not that if my horse won, the exacta would pay more than $300 on the straight win ticket, maybe a heck of a lot more if another longshot ran second. There was no overwhelming favorite in the field, so almost all the exacta payouts were pretty good.

I looked at the exacta odds before the race, and from what I could tell, seems like the exacta was the better play, but wondering if any of you guys have a different thought on how to play that type of situation.

Forte looks to be the Derby favorite - you can do the future bets and get him at 8-1 - if he wins the Florida derby he will likely be the betting favorite for the Kentucky derby

If you're convinced your pick is winning, the exacta is the better bet. Track takes a lower percentage out of exotics.

Reactions: Tskware
If you're convinced your pick is winning, the exacta is the better bet. Track takes a lower percentage out of exotics.
Is it? Most don't play stone cold straight exactas. If you don't like the favorite, shouldn't that pay better than a boxed exacta with the favorite in there for a piece? Just checked, PARX, 1st race today. 7/1 winner across, paid more than over 3/2 favorite.

Saw one of the tvg guys nailed the Saudi cup - impressive - 2 dollar win bet paid 34 bucks
P0
Is it? Most don't play stone cold straight exactas. If you don't like the favorite, shouldn't that pay better than a boxed exacta with the favorite in there for a piece? Just checked, PARX, 1st race today. 7/1 winner across, paid more than over 3/2 favorite.
Sure, in my example above if the favorite runs 2nd you're better off betting the $20 on the 15 to 1 shot, maybe if the 2nd and 3rd choices finish 2nd as well, but if anything more than 5 or 6 to 1 comes in I'm thinking the exacta would pay better. And if a real long shot comes in a second it would pay way better

Reactions: CAT Scratch FVR
But that's three bets vs. two.

TSK, rereading, I see your point and would agree for the most part but it's rare you'll get that opportunity, right? Most races do have a betting favorite, multiple even, low odds, that if they place, would not return what the Win bet would. But, if you're looking and the math makes sense, you do it.

TSK, rereading, I see your point and would agree for the most part but it's rare you'll get that opportunity, right? Most races do have a betting favorite, multiple even, low odds, that if they place, would not return what the Win bet would. But, if you're looking and the math makes sense, you do it.

Of course that is why they call it gambling not investing after all. LOL

Reactions: CAT Scratch FVR
Man this tapit trice went from dead last and demolished the field down the stretch in the Tampa bay derby - probably second lowest odds come derby day!

Forte didn’t have the best race in the Florida derby but finished strong and likely sealed his derby favorite status

3 big derby prep races this weekend - interested to see how tapit trice does this weekend

Forte didn’t have the best race in the Florida derby but finished strong and likely sealed his derby favorite status

3 big derby prep races this weekend - interested to see how tapit trice does this weekend
I only watched the race once but it looked like Ortiz knew he had the best horse and just decided to stay out of trouble. He won't have that luxury in the Derby. He very well may be the best horse but we know how that goes.

Reactions: Wesley91581
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT