ADVERTISEMENT

Horror Movies

What Ti West has done with his personal Mia Goth triple feature project has been pretty impressive. X is essentially a grimy 70s grindhouse feature, Pearl is a fantastic character study of a trapped and broken young woman, and Maxxxine is a grungy 80s exploitation film reminiscent of Vice Squad and Angel. I'm hoping A24 puts out a 4K boxset of the trilogy soon.

On Longlegs, at some point in the last few years, Nic Cage became somewhat must-see again. Maika Monroe has been impressive since It Follows and Cage is like a creepier version of Tiny Tim here. The more I think about the film, the more I like it.

My coworker liked it. I watched Crawl and loved it. Father and daughter battle gators during a Florida hurricane. Very tense. From 2019.

I still feel like The Thing is largely overlooked by not only film fans, but even a lot of casual horror fans.

I also find Carpenters other two entries in his Apocalypse Trilogy to be very underrated.. Prince of Darkness and In The The Mouth Of Madness.. they both play very well with the themes of The Thing. Body, mind, and Spirit.

Reactions: BC_Wader
I still feel like The Thing is largely overlooked by not only film fans, but even a lot of casual horror fans.

I also find Carpenters other two entries in his Apocalypse Trilogy to be very underrated.. Prince of Darkness and In The The Mouth Of Madness.. they both play very well with the themes of The Thing. Body, mind, and Spirit.
It's a very smart horror movie. I saw this when it first came out on cable not long after it's theater run. Movies came out early on cable back then. My ten year old self knew I was watching something great and it quickly became one of my favorite movies. It's still that way for me. It's the perfect mix of mystery and dread. The fact that to this day people are still arguing if Childs or Macready was the thing at the end speaks to it's legacy.
It was Childs, btw.

I checked out the trailer for "Strangers Chapter 1" last night. It is supposed to be the prequel to "Strangers". Strangers was a very good movie, I can only hope this one is just as good. The trailer gave me hope. If anyone has watched it, simply post "like" or "disliked", no spoilers. Going to try and watch it over the weekend, I will give my review after doing so.

It's a very smart horror movie. I saw this when it first came out on cable not long after it's theater run. Movies came out early on cable back then. My ten year old self knew I was watching something great and it quickly became one of my favorite movies. It's still that way for me. It's the perfect mix of mystery and dread. The fact that to this day people are still arguing if Childs or Macready was the thing at the end speaks to it's legacy.
It was Childs, btw.

Upon a ton of inspection and reading on it, the only strong feeling I have towards the Childs/McReady debate, is that the whole "Look at their breath in the cold" thing. Child's breath isn't visible in the cold because of the light angle, but as I recall if you look closely, you can see it. Where as McReady's based on the angle of the lighting, is as visible as day. That's the only thing I feel like ISN'T true.. every other angle I've read I think "Yeah I can see that".

• Love
Reactions: BC_Wader
Upon a ton of inspection and reading on it, the only strong feeling I have towards the Childs/McReady debate, is that the whole "Look at their breath in the cold" thing. Child's breath isn't visible in the cold because of the light angle, but as I recall if you look closely, you can see it. Where as McReady's based on the angle of the lighting, is as visible as day. That's the only thing I feel like ISN'T true.. every other angle I've read I think "Yeah I can see that".
You sound like a man that has already pre-ordered The Thing Expanded. I'm thinking about it heavily.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
You sound like a man that has already pre-ordered The Thing Expanded. I'm thinking about it heavily.

Ha, RJ MacReady is my Slack Profile picture for work, and I was RJ for Halloween once hahaha. I love all the various one-sheets for it, and can't wait for the remaster of the PS2 game.

I think some of the most wild debates I have seen are about how intelligent "The Thing" is (or isn't) when it's assimilating and has assimilated. The actions that some of the characters take when they may or may not be infected, and if they are doing things as a scared human, a human protecting humanity, or The thing protecting it self. You can really go down a rabbit hole.

Some of my fav posters:

CKG672
s-l1600_701b90f0-6ea5-44c5-a38d-7c3e84abdb11.jpg

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT