ADVERTISEMENT

Hoover is done, on to the NCAA

backinky2018

Sophomore
Sep 14, 2021
Positives:

-We didn't go 0-2
-We didn't stress out our pitching staff going into the NCAAT
-Waldy, Nicholson, Pitre, Lopez are on fire at the plate.
-Daly and Mccarthy are tough outs.
-Defense is vastly improved from earlier in the year.
-Top 4 seed is locked down, and the SECT performance should assure us of being ahead of both A&M and Arky in the national seed pecking order. The only two competitors for the top 2 seeds are UNC and UT. Hopefully, UT gets the 1 and A&M gets the 4 so both are on the other side of the bracket.
-Pooser is rock solid.
-Love what I've seen from Cleaver so far.

Negatives:

-Mccoy and Smith and Burkes could not be any worse at the plate right now. Just beyond exasperating. McCoy can't even get a bunt down. Smith is a shell of himself since coming back from the injury. Burkes is increasingly hard to justify at the 3 spot.
-Our pitching staff just struggles to get an out sometimes. O'Brien, Nove, Hummel, the list goes on and on.
-If Niman and Moore can't find their way back to top form, our stay in the postseason will not be long. We need great starting pitching.
-I like the style of UK baseball. but, sometimes Ming coaches us right out of a big inning. I'm sorry, but there is no reason for Ryan Nicholson to be bunting in the second inning, even with 2 on. He has 18 home runs this year and his slugging percentage is through the roof. Give our hitters a chance.

We can still have a great run. It's been a long season, so I'm hoping that getting out of SEC play will be a breath of fresh air after the meat grinder of a season. Draws will be important. Getting to Omaha should still be the realistic goal for this team with the first two rounds going through LEX.

Reactions: dtjr and bluecoon1
Good thoughts.

I was ok with Nicholson bunting in this occasion and it resulted in 2 runs when McCarthy bounced a single.

Not sure about the stolen base attempt late down 2. Ran us out of an inning.

McCoy and Smith need to produce at the plate. Does he sub for McCoy? He’s struggling. Needs a break.

Pitching will be the key. Got to find a way to limit the multi run HRs and opponent’s runs. Can’t give up 5 plus runs every game.

Thought Chris Burke made a good point stating Nicholson should have gone for 3b. Could have made a difference and kept us out of the dp. That was a tough break.

Defense is really good.

A little Frustrating to share a reg season title and then still see mainly the same teams make the semis and finals as usual even in a down year for Vandy/LSU

Hope it’s a silver lining in resting up our spotty pitching rotation and able to save some juice to make Omaha

Reactions: K86
A little Frustrating to share a reg season title and then still see mainly the same teams make the semis and finals as usual even in a down year for Vandy/LSU

Hope it’s a silver lining in resting up our spotty pitching rotation and able to save some juice to make Omaha
LSU caught fire. They are going to be a tough out no matter who they play the rest of the way.

Man, hoping something big happens with our pitching. If I’m Mingione (I know I’m not), I’m putting a pitch count on Moore (maybe 60-65 if possible) and favoring Herrera over Smith (I know that won’t happen). Also understand he’s trying to cover for Burkes by hiding him batting third but I’d move him down to eighth. I’m a football guy that loves baseball so that probably sounds stupid to most of you baseball gurus (who I have much respect for).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT