ADVERTISEMENT

Hoop Summit Measurements Team USA

Catzman

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 29, 2002
http://www.nbadraft.net/2018-nike-hoop-summit-usa-preview

1) Keldon Johnson Sterling, VA 10/11/99 SF Kentucky

USA October Minicamp Measurements: 6’5 w/o shoes, 6’6 in shoes, 216 lbs, 6’8.5 wingspan, 8’8 standing reach

2) Tyler Herro 1/20/00 SG Kentucky

USA October Minicamp Measurements: 6’4 w/o shoes, 6’5 in shoes, 193 lbs, 6’3.75 wingspan, 8’3.5 standing reach

Few notes. Johnson doesn't have the wingspan I thought he did just by looking at him. He looks like he has freakishly long arms. Glad to see hes every bit as strong as I'd hope. 6'6 and 216 without a college weightroom yet. Very impressive. Herro a legit 6'5 and almost 195, not bad either.

Williamson hasn't lost a single pound since he was last weighed 6 months ago or so. Still 272. He looks incredible for 272, dont get me wrong, but if he thinks thats high D-1 basketball conditioning he's got another thing coming. Very surprised he hasnt done something to lose any weight. Speaks volumes, to me, about his work ethic. Hes about 30 pounds overweight. Almost a 6'11 wingspan and 6'6 in shoes. Gonna struggle to score outside of an open dunk I imagine at this level with limited perimeter offense.

Surprised to see Langford at a legit 6'6 now. He's going to be dangerous. Conversely, Bazley, who I always thought was supposed to be 6'9 or so is actually just over 6'7. Thought he was a long wirey talented power forward. His measurements are that of a 3. Louis King, whos typically listed at 6'8, is "only" 6'6 but he has almost a 7'1 wingspan and has those freakish hops. Really wish we could've gotten him especially since he can shoot but oh well.

USA October Minicamp Measurements: 6’5 w/o shoes, 6’6 in shoes, 216 lbs, 6’8.5 wingspan, 8’8 standing reach

USA October Minicamp Measurements: 6’4 w/o shoes, 6’5 in shoes, 193 lbs, 6’3.75 wingspan, 8’3.5 standing reach

Few notes. Johnson doesn't have the wingspan I thought he did just by looking at him. He looks like he has freakishly long arms. Glad to see hes every bit as strong as I'd hope. 6'6 and 216 without a college weightroom yet. Very impressive. Herro a legit 6'5 and almost 195, not bad either.

Williamson hasn't lost a single pound since he was last weighed 6 months ago or so. Still 272. He looks incredible for 272, dont get me wrong, but if he thinks thats high D-1 basketball conditioning he's got another thing coming. Very surprised he hasnt done something to lose any weight. Speaks volumes, to me, about his work ethic. Hes about 30 pounds overweight. Almost a 6'11 wingspan and 6'6 in shoes. Gonna struggle to score outside of an open dunk I imagine at this level with limited perimeter offense.

Surprised to see Langford at a legit 6'6 now. He's going to be dangerous. Conversely, Bazley, who I always thought was supposed to be 6'9 or so is actually just over 6'7. Thought he was a long wirey talented power forward. His measurements are that of a 3. Louis King, whos typically listed at 6'8, is "only" 6'6 but he has almost a 7'1 wingspan and has those freakish hops. Really wish we could've gotten him especially since he can shoot but oh well.

Maybe KJ still has good arm length, just doesn't have wide body that some people have that adds on to wingspan. Would be nice to see Arm Length / shoulder separated to see.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I have not been overly impressed by Langford. Maybe he will prove me wrong. But, he doesn't look like a great shooter, and keeps the ball in his hands too much. Perhaps he is coachable, but that whole situation with the father makes me wonder if he won't be more of a problematic teammate for the program he goes to.

Williamson is going to be a problem for college players. Not many are as big and physical as he is. Plus, playing for Duke he is likely to get more calls to his favor then elsewhere.

I have not been overly impressed by Langford. Maybe he will prove me wrong. But, he doesn't look like a great shooter, and keeps the ball in his hands too much. Perhaps he is coachable, but that whole situation with the father makes me wonder if he won't be more of a problematic teammate for the program he goes to.

Williamson is going to be a problem for college players. Not many are as big and physical as he is. Plus, playing for Duke he is likely to get more calls to his favor then elsewhere.

Hes incredibly powerful and explosive but if Bam struggled at 6'10 with combo strength and explosion, what's a 4 inch shorter version going to do? Hes going to get away with crap because of Duke but hes going to get charges galore. The game today doesn't benefit the player who wants to backdown a defender. They'll flop or flail and get the offensive foul called 80% of the time. Hes also shown little post moves/play and will just flail and throw up a shot while going against 6'9 plus players. His points will come from the free throw line or open dunks/ally oops. Hes a more explosive, less skilled Grant Williams. Difference being the less skilled part. Id love to see him going against him and Schofield.

Herro managed to have a wingspan shorter than his height. You don't see that often.

I think the Wear Twins were like that. 6'9/6'10 guys who had like 6'7 wingspans. Doesnt need long arms to drain them bombs in peoples faces. Crazy how he doesnt look to have t-rex arms or anything.

Pretty sure these measurements are old, the writer is just giving background information

Could be. Its usually the foreign team that gets measurements first and USA is day before. Some of them are a bit accuare though to be copied. Cant find several of these claims anywhere else. Like reddish at 211 with a 7'1 wingspan. Or Bol Bol with a 7'5 wingspan and 9'6 standing reach.

Reactions: STEVECAT
As for Zion, that kid is a hellacious rebounder and is too quick for anyone strong enough to guard him.

He's a quicker, more explosive Julius Randle in the college game. They aren't going to post him. He's going to face up and drive it. If he were coming here we'd be the title favorite by a good margin.

The bright spot is Duke can't spread the floor around him like they normally do. And honestly, I don't think Coach K can or will win with easy 2's.

If Bagley and Carter shooting like 60% weren't able to get it done, I don't care how effective their big 3 are at driving to the rim. It isn't going to be better than what they just had. And this will have even less shooting around it.

I also don't think you can fully utilize Jones and Reddish. Neither give you much without the ball. Barrett and Zion are high energy and will be a nightmare though. If K is smart he'll play DeLaurier big minutes at the 5. Another guy who is good without the ball.

Herro managed to have a wingspan shorter than his height. You don't see that often.

Among athletes this is true. But among normal people it's far more common. And when you do see it with athletes, it's usually white guys.

But, take heart Tyler, plenty of guys with unusually short wingspan to height ratios have still turned out to be big time ballers (JJ Redick, Cody Zeller and Kelly Olynick being a few NBAers with notoriously short wingspans that immediately come to mind).

Last edited:
As for Zion, that kid is a hellacious rebounder and is too quick for anyone strong enough to guard him.

He's a quicker, more explosive Julius Randle in the college game. They aren't going to post him. He's going to face up and drive it. If he were coming here we'd be the title favorite by a good margin.

The bright spot is Duke can't spread the floor around him like they normally do. And honestly, I don't think Coach K can or will win with easy 2's.

If Bagley and Carter shooting like 60% weren't able to get it done, I don't care how effective their big 3 are at driving to the rim. It isn't going to be better than what they just had. And this will have even less shooting around it.

I also don't think you can fully utilize Jones and Reddish. Neither give you much without the ball. Barrett and Zion are high energy and will be a nightmare though. If K is smart he'll play DeLaurier big minutes at the 5. Another guy who is good without the ball.

Wed use him like Randle. I dont think K will. I see him being forced to park his big butt inside because as of right now, he has no big man to really play. And if you remember, Randle early on struggled against length defending him. Hed do a side push shot that was either wild or blocked. He got better but I dont see Zion as being half as talented in that aspect as Randle. Randle was more skilled. Zion is stronger and more athletic, but less skilled. Hed do wonders under Cal, but does K have a track record teaching a guy like Zion? I can see him using reddish and barrett well, but Zion? I just see him poorly utilizing Zions gifts.

You can look at him and tell he has lost body fat and gained muscle. When you do that you will look thinner but not lose much weight if any.

You can look at him and tell he has lost body fat and gained muscle. When you do that you will look thinner but not lose much weight if any.
Let’s hope Johnson has grown an inch since his October measurement, I think they list him at 6’7 at Oak Hll

My feeling as well. I think Zion is gonna be a ****ing terror on the glass in college. He's like Julius Randle with Vince Carter's athleticism.

Maybe. I think guys who don't have the natural gifts to be a great defender have to learn angles and anticipation. That comes with experience.

We have several very good perimeter defenders next year, and all but Hagans can shoot it. If we add Maxey, that's another great shooter. Fans won't be happy with his minutes even if he plays plenty.

Among athletes this is true. But among normal people it's far more common. And when you do see it with athletes, it's usually white guys.

But, take heart Tyler, plenty of guys with unusually short wingspan to height ratios have still turned out to be big time ballers (JJ Redick, Cody Zeller, and Kelly Olynick being a few NBAers with notoriously short wingspans that immediately come to mind).

You're right. I should have specified among basketball players at this level.

I think Redick is Herro's ceiling. If he can learn to defend like that, he already has a similar handle and is probably a little better passer at the same stage, although I don't remember Redick in high school.

Wed use him like Randle. I dont think K will. I see him being forced to park his big butt inside because as of right now, he has no big man to really play. And if you remember, Randle early on struggled against length defending him. Hed do a side push shot that was either wild or blocked. He got better but I dont see Zion as being half as talented in that aspect as Randle. Randle was more skilled. Zion is stronger and more athletic, but less skilled. Hed do wonders under Cal, but does K have a track record teaching a guy like Zion? I can see him using reddish and barrett well, but Zion? I just see him poorly utilizing Zions gifts.

I think he probably uses him like Bagley. Let him shoot a few open threes, mostly face him up midrange, occasionally post him or use him as a weak side rebounder, which is where I think he'll flourish. Especially as the other guys attack the rim and just put it up on the glass for him to grab.

What will be interesting to see is how many minutes he can play at full speed. K has a short bench and there's not much talent there to sub in this season anyway. If Zion is sucking wind he's a net negative because his game is pure energy.

What will be interesting to see is how many minutes he can play at full speed. K has a short bench and there's not much talent there to sub in this season anyway. If Zion is sucking wind he's a net negative because his game is pure energy.

At 272 pounds, I'd be shocked if he can make it to the first tv time out going full speed. Bagley may have been an awful defender but the kid was in grear shape and was everywhere because he wasn't out of shape. That's like Bagley, since hes taller, trying to play well over 300lbs. Zion hasnt lost an ounce according to this since the last time he was measured. If he's going to play like Bagley, he needs to get into the mid 230s. Get closer to Miles Bridges and farther from Glenn Davis.

At 272 pounds, I'd be shocked if he can make it to the first tv time out going full speed. Bagley may have been an awful defender but the kid was in grear shape and was everywhere because he wasn't out of shape. That's like Bagley, since hes taller, trying to play well over 300lbs. Zion hasnt lost an ounce according to this since the last time he was measured. If he's going to play like Bagley, he needs to get into the mid 230s. Get closer to Miles Bridges and farther from Glenn Davis.

The eyeball test says he's definitely slimmed down. I'm skeptical about these measurements being up to date.

But it's more than dropping weight. It's a long term habit. If you've never gone hard the full game because you couldn't, it isn't as easy as getting skinnier and suddenly doing it.

I'm sure Duke has had him working on that. And it shows in his body. But the kid had dead legs in the McDonalds dunk contest because they had practiced earlier. And now he's sat out for a few weeks.

Will be something to keep an eye on.

Randle is 6’9 250 and Zion is 6’6 270? I think Zion really struggles in the half court next year.

You are underestimating his quickness, explosiveness, and handle. That kid is a load and kinda unconventional.

I'm also not foolish enough to just count on K not getting him to shoot at least acceptably from three which will make him even harder to guard.

I saw that, too. I've noticed in his highlights, he has the ability to shoot a fadeaway on some of his jumpshots... which will come in handy

Interesting note - Bol Bol has a 9'6 standing reach! That's like me dunking on one of the nerf goals hanging on the door frame at home :flushed:

Do they have one of these for arms?

latest

Reactions: jrpross and UK90

I agree. I hate talking up dook, but I think folks are underestimating Zion as a basketball player. He’s pretty crafty and has better body control than you’d expect in that physique. Even though he’s not a threat from deep, his shooting touch in the midrange is solid, and he finishes very well in the lane even when he isn’t dunking. An opponent that writes him off as a dunk-only highlight scorer is gonna watch him drop 30.

People fall in love with measurements. They don't mean all that much to me. Give me players who can play. Don't care if they are 6'5 with a 6'2 wingspan. If you can shoot the ball from 30 feet with efficiency and are an above average athlete, you can throw the wingspan/standing reach out the window, imo. Skal had decent measurements and meh.

It's like quarterbacks with hand size. Scouts love that. A guy has a 9.5 inch hand compared to another qb who has a 9 inch hand. The dude with the 9.5 inch hand can't throw a 10 yard out but by God his hand is half an inch bigger so he is our guy.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
You do know those measurements are from October right? Zion has lost a lot of weight or shifted that into muscle since then based on how cut he looked at the McDonald’s game

With Zion you can’t just look at weight (actually with anyone). He has actually toned up his body a lot compared to last year, watching at the McDonald’s game you could see he’s more cut. You also have to factor in getting into the college system like you did with Johnson, that’s where incoming recruits get in WAYYYY better shape than they did while in H.S

Reactions: 1war
Zion is closer to 250 as of McDonald’s game. I noctice (I’m sure others have) that these are not Hoop summit measurements, even says in bold letters that it’s measurments from October (2017)

You are underestimating his quickness, explosiveness, and handle. That kid is a load and kinda unconventional.

I'm also not foolish enough to just count on K not getting him to shoot at least acceptably from three which will make him even harder to guard.

Zion is closer to 250 as of McDonald’s game. I noctice (I’m sure others have) that these are not Hoop summit measurements, even says in bold letters that it’s measurments from October (2017)

True, seems to be an oversight on my part. Mods can feel free to delete this thread.

Does anyone know what channel this will be on? It is not showing up on my cable at all but I'm sure it must be on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT