ADVERTISEMENT

Honestly Hagans can’t hold Water’s Jock

Never got the Hagen love - simply not that good a poor on the ball defender with no offense - yes hesxa first rounder

I love Hagans, but he played tentative tonight. That foul in the first minute of the game just shut him down.

Water was a nuisance and a disruptor. Hagans didn't do any of that on defense tonight, usually his strength.

Kid had an off night...it happens. 3 other players couldn't bail him out

Hagans HAS to be a more consistent shooter for the pick and roll we run to work. Otherwise, they just back off him and deny all entry passes.

He doesnt even have to be consistent. Just hit one or two. I mean hes not even close. The one he hit was even a brick.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
You embarrass yourself when you say he's a poor on ball defender. He has plenty of weaknesses, but that isn't even close to being one of them.
Do you watch the games he got smoked by Peters and again tonight. He made his reputation off steals but he constantly gets beat off dribble. Waters just toyed with him- plus he makes us play 4 on 5 on offense

Hagans has to shoot those 10-15 footer when he gets in the lane. He was wide open a couple of times. The thing that concerns me is he is not disrupting on defense like he was. That is made him so valuable.
Baker and Herro don't get passes either. Hit the wide open 3's guys. Good grief.

It's been reported AH wants to be OAD. That's his choice. He will never play in the NBA unless he can fix his shot.

He certainly won't be in the first round this year. But, unless he plans to spend a great deal of time working on his shot it doesn't matter if he comes back or not.

hagans struggles against smaller quicker guards and is great against bigger guards because he takes advantage of his quickness. there’s not too many guards smaller than him in the league.

Reactions: Catzman
Well I wouldn't say that. Ashton could be a Rondo type, he just needs to hone his passing craft a couple more years.

I love Hagans, but he played tentative tonight. That foul in the first minute of the game just shut him down.

Water was a nuisance and a disruptor. Hagans didn't do any of that on defense tonight, usually his strength.

Kid had an off night...it happens. 3 other players couldn't bail him out
It’s like he realized immediately he couldn’t stay in front of Waters on defense - and instead of understanding that, understanding no one can stay in front of that kid, and figuring out how to compensate and what else he could do to help his team win.....it got in his head. Like “I do one thing better than anything else, and it doesn’t work against this guy.”

As for the thread generally, you know, everyone has a bad game every once in a while. In sports, in any endeavor, there are people who are pretty good at a given thing, and if you see them on a bad day, you can convince yourself they’re not very good at that thing. But that’s not a smart take.

Do you watch the games he got smoked by Peters and again tonight. He made his reputation off steals but he constantly gets beat off dribble. Waters just toyed with him- plus he makes us play 4 on 5 on offense
Hagans denied the ball to waters last possession, waters shot 3-13 and 1 for 5 from 3, 2 to...for the game..if you watched the game you would see that the 2 Ricky touch fouls really impacts his ability to presure the ball. It's ain't on Hagans head, it's on the team.
Miss assignments, ball watching, keldon couldn't stop the ball and EJ didn't put a body on the offensive rebounder...
Missed call etc.
You all are stupid for forgetting who turned the season around, who single handedly beat unc

Yeah, I was loving me some Ashton Hagans in late December/early January. He’s looked more like November Hagans the last couple weeks.

He's not been a scoring machine but his defense and passing have definitely been good. Over the last 4 games hes averaged roughly 6ppg, 6apg, 4rpg and 2spg. Hes out there to be the 5th scoring option while being the facilitator for the other 4 which hes 6 assists per game shows. He just had a bad night where Waters speed combined with his foul trouble kept him out. But before tonight Hagans had been playing very good basketball. No coincidence his scoring went down and assists went up at the same time as PJs emergence.

Reactions: oldfanofuk
This should put an end to any notion that Hagans will go pro. He's not ready at all. Neither is Herro or surprisingly Keldon.

Oh, I'm sure there's some team out there dying to bring in a one-dimensional point guard who can't shoot. I'm serious, too. This kid is gone.

There many guards better than Hagans..Dotson at KU is way better..Cal has to pass on these guys that can't shoot..

Maybe he can get more lethal shooters like Mulder and Baker, who don't make any shots in big games when they're wide open.

Reactions: blubo
Hagans is in a slump.

As for tonight, his early fouls were a big part of it.

Hopefully he breaks out of it soon. Even his defensive confidence is down. And the good shots he’s given, he rarely takes. Gotta knock down a few to get the D honest.

Most importantly for him, has to take better care of the ball. Even when he was hot (UNC up until recently) he turned it over too much.

Not what I recall. He was a 5'11" 4 star guard out of Connecticut. Ranked #40, well behind Quade and Shai and even behind Shai's cousin who plays for VT. And remember UK also offered Trae Young and John Petty in that class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT