ADVERTISEMENT

Hoak speaks

His dad spoke not him. Only thing complimentary in the piece was the things the author of the article said and a few things the coaches said, nothing complimentary from the Hoak camp.

His dad spoke not him. Only thing complimentary in the piece was the things the author of the article said and a few things the coaches said, nothing complimentary from the Hoak camp.
I didnt specify who was being complimentary, but there were good things said about UK nonetheless. Guess it is all in the interpretation, and if you are looking for something to be pissed off about or not.

I was hoping the article would explain why a very good QB, with only two years to play two, would transfer to a school where he probably will never start, instead of transferring to a school where he has a great chance of being the starter for two years. Has he resigned himself to never playing pro ball, and just wanted to return home?

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I didnt specify who was being complimentary, but there were good things said about UK nonetheless. Guess it is all in the interpretation, and if you are looking for something to be pissed off about or not.

I'm not pissed off in the slightest, your thread title and comment made it sound like Gunnar said something which he did not. Don't get your panties in a wad Francis.

Last edited:
Reactions: gobigblue812
Would love to see Gunner get a chance to get in up there and play well, get his moment in the sun and build some lasting memories before his career is over. We keep looking at it from a fans side but its easy to forget these are kids that came out of high school with stars in their and their families eyes. I'm sure like most they were expecting the next 4 years to be some of the best times and memories they would have together watching their kid play, seeing them on TV, having family and friends see the, just buidling a scrap book of what most high school "stars" dream of after the signign ceremony.

Even if you're not a star but just a bit player it can be some real good memories. So it would be hard to spend 4 years and miss out on most of that. I know he's had good memories being on the team and with his teammates and the teams accomplishments and all, but personally it's a BIG letdown.

Its just a tough position for a lot of QB's as that position is prone to this possibly being the outcome for a lot of former starts because there just aren't enough positinos and playing time around. A lot of good football players end up missing out on chances to play because someone esle is a little better.

So I for one am rooting like heck for him to get his chance and appreciate him hanging with us as long as he did and being a good teammate and part of the Big Blue from all accounts.

If I'm this kid and my dream school comes calling , I'm doing the same thing. I don't blame him. Good luck young man

I hope the dream was to be on OSU’s team and not winning the job. I also hope this is Gunnar’s dream and not his family/dad’s dream.

While I would love for Gunnar to win the job, I wonder if that would be a good experience for him. I would hate for OSU fans to rip into if they perceive him to be the weak link.

I was hoping the article would explain why a very good QB, with only two years to play two, would transfer to a school where he probably will never start, instead of transferring to a school where he has a great chance of being the starter for two years. Has he resigned himself to never playing pro ball, and just wanted to return home?
Who? Who is a very good quarterback?

Gunnar might start for Eastern Kentucky or Jacksonville State. Might. He's also a graduate student. Why get a masters from there as opposed to Ohio State, one of the top public schools in the country?

How are people baffled at the doors that are open to a graduate degree holding quarterback from a prestigious football and business school with alumni all over the nation?

I will be pulling for Gunnar. His father's frustration when TW was struggling was understandable. Would probably feel the same way if my son had been at a school for 3-4 years, wasn't playing because the coaches were playing a player who had just been there only about 6 months and that player was really struggling at the time. I'm all in with TW but he was struggling at the time. If I'm not mistaking, all Gunnar's dad did was"like" or "retweet" a tweet(s). In any event, even if some have a problem with that fairly benign act, it shouldn't be imputed to Gunnar who was always classy here. Hope he does great at OSU and TW does great here. Gunnar's TD pass right before halftime of the first game of the season last year was pretty huge at the time.

The fact remains that Hoak was never able to win the starting job at UK. Frankly, a lot of our fans were not appreciative of having Hoak on our roster, and there were many ugly posts. I didn't expect him to be happy about that, and it doesn't matter now anyway. If Terry Wilson stays healthy, Hoak would have sat on the bench here just as he will sit at OSU unless Fields gets hurt. I wish him the best.

So I guess the spring game was a last ditch effort to keep him but a waste of time.We are so thin at QB we should be in a Weight Watchers commercial.Hope one of the new kids shows up ready to play.

The staff has been very good at most things but QB management isn't one of those things.

So I guess the spring game was a last ditch effort to keep him but a waste of time.We are so thin at QB we should be in a Weight Watchers commercial.Hope one of the new kids shows up ready to play.

The staff has been very good at most things but QB management isn't one of those things.
You realize this is going on all around the country!!

You realize this is going on all around the country!!
It is in some form,but we have only been able to retain one QB with any experience per year over the past 3 years.Our starter for two of the last 3 years would have never seen the field but for an injury.We have been in the position of having to give all the playing time to one guy just to gain experience for him while everyone else is on the sidelines

As I said the staff has done well in most areas but QB has not been a strong suit for them.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
Our starter for two of the last 3 years would have never seen the field but for an injury.

Yes.

In part, rendering QB management problematical. Yet those three seasons are our winningest 3 in forty plus years.

Something got managed better than usual!

Yes.

In part, rendering QB management problematical. Yet those three seasons are our winningest 3 in forty plus years.

Something got managed better than usual!
I couldn't agree more,this coaching has done a fine job overall.I don't see how anyone could dispute that,for what ever reason we have struggled at the QB position.Hopefully Wilson,Gilmore or someone else will change that in the coming seasons

It is in some form,but we have only been able to retain one QB with any experience per year over the past 3 years.Our starter for two of the last 3 years would have never seen the field but for an injury.We have been in the position of having to give all the playing time to one guy just to gain experience for him while everyone else is on the sidelines

As I said the staff has done well in most areas but QB has not been a strong suit for them.

Ohio State has managed their QB roster so well, they were begging our 2nd string QB to come

The only issue I have with Hoak transferring is the impact of losing Wilson to an injury. We’re one play away from either playing Wood, a walk-on, or a true Freshman and that’s not a good place to be imo.

Let’s hope Wilson stays healthy enough to stay on the field.

Reactions: docholiday51
The only issue I have with Hoak transferring is the impact of losing Wilson to an injury. We’re one play away from either playing Wood, a walk-on, or a true Freshman and that’s not a good place to be imo.

Hoak didn't want to be here any longer. Good enough reason for me to have someone who is committed to UK football be TW's replacement even with zero experience.

Gunner will be a forever back up in any power 5 conference school. He's never impressed me in his time here at UK and obviously didn't impress the coaches either.

Reactions: seccats04

That's true, but the horse is out of the barn. Stoops practically begged Gunnar in public to stay. He signed two more QBs. What else could he do? It's a free country.

I think it plays out like this. Our coaches really like Gilmore or else they wouldn't have offered him last summer. Gilmore is athletic, with a big arm. Scalzo is recovering from a major knee injury so he sits this year. Wood and Langhi are strictly emergency QBs. I expect Eddie Gran will get Gilmore some work in September games, a series at a time, but limiting Gilmore to four games to preserve his RS unless TW gets hurt. If we are forced to turn to Gilmore for any reason, Gran would have to cut down the play book but I think Gilmore is a diamond in the rough that could surprise us.

That's true, but the horse is out of the barn. Stoops practically begged Gunnar in public to stay. He signed two more QBs. What else could he do? It's a free country.

I think it plays out like this. Our coaches really like Gilmore or else they wouldn't have offered him last summer. Gilmore is athletic, with a big arm. Scalzo is recovering from a major knee injury so he sits this year. Wood and Langhi are strictly emergency QBs. I expect Eddie Gran will get Gilmore some work in September games, a series at a time, but limiting Gilmore to four games to preserve his RS unless TW gets hurt. If we are forced to turn to Gilmore for any reason, Gran would have to cut down the play book but I think Gilmore is a diamond in the rough that could surprise us.
Gilmore was the most overlooked high school quarterbacks in the nation. When he committed to UK, LSU made a major push to sign him. He has all the tools to be successful in the SEC. If he performs as expected, the sky's The limit for UK.

One has to wonder why they want him if he can't get meaningful minutes here in 2 years?
Ohio State was in desperate need of QB depth. The coaching change and Fields transfer resulted in a QB decommit, 2 QBs transferring, and then Haskins entered the draft after his redshirt sophomore year. So, they lost 4 QBs in about a two month span.

Hoak, having OSU family roots, being from OH, and OSU being his dream school, was an obvious target for some added depth.

MVP of a bowl game Gunnar wasn't MVP of any game he played. Dude might not play but no comparison to Gunnar!!

MVP of a bowl game Gunnar wasn't MVP of any game he played. Dude might not play but no comparison to Gunnar!!
Had not seen the Smith thread,I feel better about the QB spot but Troy to the SEC is a pretty big bump up in class.It is much better to have a guy that has played some form of college football

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT