ADVERTISEMENT

Hmmmm that Oats guy huh

Oats did a good job tonight. I felt like UNCheat should have went inside more to Bacot. Alabama really struggled defending him.

Hubert has a tendency to ride his guards and that has worked in a lot of games but it has bitten him in the NCAA tournament. 2 years ago it cost him a title and last night it cost him an E8. RJ Davis missed every 3 he took in the game.

Oats haters will be grasping at straws to spin this.

My biggest problem with Oats is that he is hot and cold. Right now he is hot. But, Cal has beaten him at Bama 4 times and Oats has won 3. Not ONE of those games was close at the end. The closest game was a 9 point spread. He blew us out in one game by 26 and we blew his team out by 22.

I am impressed with his coaching at Buffalo. He definitely outcoached Hubert last night.

My biggest problem with Oats is that he is hot and cold. Right now he is hot. But, Cal has beaten him at Bama 4 times and Oats has won 3. Not ONE of those games was close at the end. The closest game was a 9 point spread. He blew us out in one game by 26 and we blew his team out by 22.

I am impressed with his coaching at Buffalo. He definitely outcoached Hubert last night.
The flip side would be that he’s doing it with Bama level basketball talent. They kinda have to run hot and cold. Maybe a blue blood level of recruiting gives him more of a floor.

Didn’t like the whole gun thing of course, but it’s clear he can coach.

By gimicky you mean winning? I wish Cowl would buy a gimicky book for dummies then. It’s funny to see people talk smack about a coach that’s won more tourney games this year than Cowl has in last 5 or 6 total.
That winning gimmick...that is funny there.

Cal's gimmick is lose so his draft picks do not get hurt.

Oats needed to prove himself after last years embarrassing choke job with the path he had to the title game. All he had to do was beat 5 seed, 6 seed and 9 seed mid major like teams. He had a very talented team last year and should have taken that team to the title game, drama or not.

This year's ncaa tournament has showed he can learn and improve. Now he needs to finish the job and beat Clemson and make the final four. He will then get the shot at uconn he should have had last season.

I would love Oats at UK but I've always said Barney would never hire him probably.

Reactions: Cawood86
Oats needed to prove himself after last years embarrassing choke job with the path he had to the title game. All he had to do was beat 5 seed, 6 seed and 9 seed mid major like teams. He had a very talented team last year and should have taken that team to the title game, drama or not.

This year's ncaa tournament has showed he can learn and improve. Now he needs to finish the job and beat Clemson and make the final four. He will then get the shot at uconn he should have had last season.

I would love Oats at UK but I've always said Barney would never hire him probably.

Playing the other side, Bama beat a 12 and a 13 before taking on an overrated UNC team coached by Hubert Davis. It took a horrible shooting night from RJ Davis for Bama to win. I'm not bashing Bama or Oats but it hasn't been that difficult of a path compared to what Clemson has done. Again, just playing the other side.

Oats is good but I don't see him ever winning it all with this style. It's incredibly hard to win 6 tough games with 3 point shooting and mediocre defense. First off night you're done.

UNC was massively overrated. The only reason they were good was because they had two good players that played together forever. Has their role players not shot best of their lives, it wouldn't have even been a game.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
The flip side would be that he’s doing it with Bama level basketball talent. They kinda have to run hot and cold. Maybe a blue blood level of recruiting gives him more of a floor.
For the life of me, I can’t figure out how some on here just fail to realize that about coaches the get talked about. Give just about anyone with a pulse the resources Cal had had and you’d get better results than he has the last five yrs.

Oats haters will be grasping at straws to spin this.
Not an Oats hater and I certainly could see him being the coach at UK one day. For the sake of discussion....Bama is currently 24-11 and got their butts kicked by UK earlier in the year and most recently Florida in the SEC tournament. What were your thoughts of Oats then? If he loses in the Elite 8 does he fall from grace again?

For the life of me, I can’t figure out how some on here just fail to realize that about coaches the get talked about. Give just about anyone with a pulse the resources Cal had had and you’d get better results than he has the last five yrs.

There is a BIG difference between saying that a coach can get it done here and saying that a coach would get better results than Cal has for the past 4 years. I want a proven coach who can get it done.

We have been down this path before. We hired Tubby who had a lot of success at lesser programs but after his first year wasn't getting us back to a FF. Then we had the disaster in Billy G who had done a great job at A&M.

Pitino had a FF with a lesser program and built our program from scratch. Cal had a few FF's at lesser programs and we thought we were on the path to greatness until the wheels fell off the past 4 years.

So Oats contract has a buyout clause to protect Alabama if he leaves? Does Kals have one if he were to have left UK? Or just the one way guarantee to Kal?

Alabama, as a team, has actually improved greatly this year. Their defense still isn't stellar, but it's obviously been a focal point the last several weeks. They also have some kind of coherent rotation., other than who their coach has promised minutes.

Oh...and Nelson has one of the best individual performances I've seen down the stretch in this Tournament

NC made the mistake of letting Alabama dictate the pace of the game. I felt UNC could’ve slowed the game down more and used their post presence to win.

I don't know about the out coaching thing. Sears is a great player and Nelson had a great game. Bama hits a decent amount of threes and they usually win.
UNC's best player was 0-9 on threes and 4-20 overall. Ouch.
I thought the big that took the ill advised three late cost them the game.

I wondered if that is where you were going. Neither Arky or A&M was in the SEC at the time and neither Eddie or Tubby was fired. That is why I was confused.

Didn't realize that. Knew aggies were relatively new, never would've guessed Arky wasn't SEC born and bred.

More important than conference and main point I was trying to make is I think folks get hung up on hot names who've done some advancing. Which is great and should be a criterion, but I'm not sure it's an indicator of much when it comes to this specific job.

Eddie was actually a really good coach, had a HOF career going at arky and continued that at Oklahoma State. For whatever reason it didn't work here.

Tubby actually kind of sustained things at that SS-EE level for a large majority of his time here after winning the title. No real highs no real lows though. Wasn't good enough in the end.

Billy, the stage was just too big. He got crushed.

I'm not pro or anti Oates, he's doing well and definitely a guy to keep on the call list.

I just don't think it's wise to be fanatical about 1 guy based on a hot run or two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT