ADVERTISEMENT

Hmm. Hubert in Lexington

If Thiero is still here I’m sure the Vatican is in his ear. The Vatican is Coach Pope and his assistants so maybe just maybe they convince him to stay

Thiero is familiar with Lexington and the awesome facilities we have. He's not a terrible 3pt shooter. Why does it seem like he's not even giving UK the time of day?

Mutual split? I figure any team in America could use Adou's motor – especially with how high his ceiling is. Just seems odd to me.

If Thiero is still here I’m sure the Vatican is in his ear. The Vatican is Coach Pope and his assistants so maybe just maybe they convince him to stay

"The Vatican" as a nickname is not gonna happen, please stop trying to make it happen.

Fetch Jonathan Bennett GIF by Hallmark Channel

Thiero is familiar with Lexington and the awesome facilities we have. He's not a terrible 3pt shooter. Why does it seem like he's not even giving UK the time of day?

Mutual split? I figure any team in America could use Adou's motor – especially with how high his ceiling is. Just seems odd to me.
I think UK would love to have him back. So it isn’t a mutual split. But Thiero’s family were vocal about their discontent last season. Even though Calipari is gone I think they just want a new start.

Hooking for Lookers
I think UK would love to have him back. So it isn’t a mutual split. But Thiero’s family were vocal about their discontent last season. Even though Calipari is gone I think they just want a new start.
Playing under Calipari most definitely would be a new start. As new as it would be anywhere else. But Thiero's results weren't entirely Cal's fault. Maybe they're not realistic?

Tried to go to UNC board to see what they were discussing and apparently I am banned there for rules violations? Weird cause I don’t remember ever going there in the past? Strange?
That board is horrible. They have a couple of mods who will call you names and bait you into saying something back and then ban you. I haven't been there but it seems like Hellisheel and Gunslinger Dick are the worst ones.

Tried to go to UNC board to see what they were discussing and apparently I am banned there for rules violations? Weird cause I don’t remember ever going there in the past? Strange?

I hate the Internet police.

I am not allowed to post comments at The Athletic ($1/mo.) because I supposedly violated some rules once upon a time that they never told me about and say they cannot tell me about now.

But it happened. Believe us.

I don't really understand why Pope and Adou can't make this work:

Adou seemingly didn't like Cal or the situation. And now, there's clearly a spot for him in a team with 3 freaking players right now. He's at UK, he's been here for 2 years already. He got minutes last year.

As for Pope, I don't think he has any room to be "choosey" over his players at this point. I know he wants all positions able to hit 40% of their 3s.. but he's not exactly lining them up right now. Save me the whole "this guys doesnt fit" stuff. And you mean to tell me Pope can make a bunch of Mormons into a 6-seed, but he couldn't work with Adou, who isn't a deadly, but is improving his shot making and does everything else very well?

I think we should be doing whatever we can to keep a guy like Adou, even if he's not the exact type of player Pope wants.

I don't really understand why Pope and Adou can't make this work:

Adou seemingly didn't like Cal or the situation. And now, there's clearly a spot for him in a team with 3 freaking players right now. He's at UK, he's been here for 2 years already. He got minutes last year.

As for Pope, I don't think he has any room to be "choosey" over his players at this point. I know he wants all positions able to hit 40% of their 3s.. but he's not exactly lining them up right now. Save me the whole "this guys doesnt fit" stuff. And you mean to tell me Pope can make a bunch of Mormons into a 6-seed, but he couldn't work with Adou, who isn't a deadly, but is improving his shot making and does everything else very well?

I think we should be doing whatever we can to keep a guy like Adou, even if he's not the exact type of player Pope wants.
I do think Adou got passed over for a lot of minutes to Edwards and whoever else. Would love to see him in an actual system. I think he would explode in a good way. Those blocks he got and just his energy, definitely a place for that, right???

Imagine living with and making relationships with a number of teammates and friends and then they all depart. How would that make you feel about staying? As fans we would love for him to stay and in some ways it would seem in his best interests. But, other than Perry who is new and a Kentucky kid, none of the ex-players seemed to have any appreciation or feeling any belongingness for the program itself. That is going to be a huge difference in focus between Cal and Pope.

Are they meeting for lunch?

And... if a player who is still on campus and under scholarship...and who (I assume) lives in Wildcat Lodge......I wouldnt think it would be allowed for another college coach to 'recruit' him there. Plus it seems to me, that if a player is still under scholarship for the year, and the school year is not over, that it would be a violation to 'recruit' them. But....all the rules have changed.

Imagine living with and making relationships with a number of teammates and friends and then they all depart. How would that make you feel about staying? As fans we would love for him to stay and in some ways it would seem in his best interests. But, other than Perry who is new and a Kentucky kid, none of the ex-players seemed to have any appreciation or feeling any belongingness for the program itself. That is going to be a huge difference in focus between Cal and Pope.

But many of them were leaving anyways. Reed, Dilly, Edwards, Reeves. Adou had to know that there was an exodus coming, even if Cal stayed.

I mean, I guess this does make it easier to cut ties and go elsewhere.. but idk, sure seems like a pretty decent situation for him here. I actually think this is more Pope as the hold up. Doesn't seem to want him. And I would be OK with that, IF Pope was actually getting some of these guys.. but he's really not yet.

So If I were Pope, knowing how tough this job is, I'd be trying to get a fan favorite back like Adou, and if that means your team's 3pt shooting takes a hit.. oh well, they will be a better rebounding and defensive team for it.

I don't know.. I'm kind of mixed on my grade for Pope so far. Don't really love this whole "I need my system guys" thing in his first year, seemingly turning many guys down. I think the goal needs to be more realistic and saying "I really just need to field a team at this point, we can work on my system as the year goes". I don't think the coach from BYU is in any real position to be turning guys down (if what we are hearing is the case).

The only way to get market value in NIL is to enter the portal. I'm sure there is a large part of this that has to do with NIL too, not just best fit for basketball.

He very well might not fit Pope's system but I am convinced that he is going to be, not solid, not a piece, not a role player, but a star for somebody. If the kid from Oklahoma visiting is a fit, Adou would be also.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Are they meeting for lunch?

And... if a player who is still on campus and under scholarship...and who (I assume) lives in Wildcat Lodge......I wouldnt think it would be allowed for another college coach to 'recruit' him there. Plus it seems to me, that if a player is still under scholarship for the year, and the school year is not over, that it would be a violation to 'recruit' them. But....all the rules have changed.

How do you think the transfer portal works?

Reactions: HeelVol
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT