ADVERTISEMENT

Here is an impressive Stoops stat vs. top 25 opponents

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
During his career, UK is 14-28 vs. top 25 teams. Maybe that only sounds mediocre to you.

Well per yesterday's LHL, check out the UK coaches going back the last forty years against ranked teams:

Joker 1-12
Brooks 2-25
Morriss 1-7
Mumme 3-16
Curry 1-20
Claiborne 2-22

In short, the last six UK coaches combined to win a grand total of TEN games vs. ranked teams, while Stoops already has 14.

To quote a famous trial lawyer: "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

During his career, UK is 14-28 vs. top 25 teams. Maybe that only sounds mediocre to you.

Well per yesterday's LHL, check out the UK coaches going back the last forty years against ranked teams:

Joker 1-12
Brooks 2-25
Morriss 1-7
Mumme 3-16
Curry 1-20
Claiborne 2-22

In short, the last six UK coaches combined to win a grand total of TEN games vs. ranked teams, while Stoops already has 14.

To quote a famous trial lawyer: "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Stoops' work here is nothing short of incredible. I firmly believe most all his criticism is because some uk fans prefer to be entertained above all else. Winning is what entertains me.

The most impressive part of it, virtually every single one of those wins were straight up. Not like the other team imploded, we ran a bunch of trick plays, etc. We just beat them straight up.

If nothing else, the catwalk alone tells you what stoops did here. The caliber of player we have now is insane compared to before. Thats why we're able to beat these very good teams head up.

During his career, UK is 14-28 vs. top 25 teams.

His numbers against teams ranked 10-25 are more impressive, at or over 50 percent.

And his numbers against top 10 teams is very modest, the only two wins being against U of L and Ole Miss.

But that last stat is almost a “parlor trick.” The vast majority of those Top 10 losses have been to Georgia and Bama, each (or both) steaming their way to National titles, or four-team playoffs. If you exclude only two or three teams, nationally, the whole of college football has modest records against Top 10 competition, especially against Georgia and Bama.

Heck, how many losses do Georgia and Bama have, combined, since 2017, and how many have been to another Top 5 opponent, or to each other? I think Georgia lost to South Carolina in 2017, and Bama got beat by A & M once in regular season play and by Texas once in regular season play. UT beat Bama once the last decade in regular season play. I assume LSU beat Bama in their title run a few years back.

Without looking, I’m guessing Georgia and Bama, combined, have a total of maybe 18 losses the last 7.5 seasons, with almost all coming from losses in the SEC Championship game, in the playoffs, or to one another. Hence, their combined records for the last 7.5 years is in the range of 158-18 . . . . with 3 or 4 real upsets.

Last edited:
You don’t get to the next level without doing what Stoops has done. The culture is solid. Now, the top players who fit that culture need to be recruited. I think he has done that on defense.

I heard a talking head give credit to Pop for bringing the UGA mentality to UK’s defense. That perspective is flawed, I believe, because it denies the top defenses UK has had in the past, especially in 2019. Any NC contender would have taken UK’s defense that year. Not perfect, but good enough.

The stoops era has been a very positive time for UK football. The Caliber of players coming to our program have greatly improved. I’ll take winning football games over being entertained anytime, hell I’m entertained with a win regardless. But there is valid criticism on stoops and where we are at as a program in year 12 under him and how very little has changed in certain areas. Time management at end of halves, not looking prepared at all at least 2-3 games per year, not mixing things up more when plan A isn’t working, punting away chances to win a football game you weren’t supposed to win anyway to name a few and I’m sure there are a few more others could add. I think most any fan could take another 5-7 years of stoops with just some modifications to help us become an even better more consistent football team.

TBH, I have long thought Brooks record at UK was overrated, but even I was surprised at his record vs. top 25 teams. So I went back to check, and the LHL is correct, wins in 2007 over Louisville (who ended up barely over .500 that year) and #1 LSU were his only wins over top 25 teams in seven seasons.

TBH, I have long thought Brooks record at UK was overrated, but even I was surprised at his record vs. top 25 teams. So I went back to check, and the LHL is correct, wins in 2007 over Louisville (who ended up barely over .500 that year) and #1 LSU were his only wins over top 25 teams in seven seasons.
Brooks didn't have the long term success Stoops has had but Brooks was the first phase of getting UK football to a respectable level.

Still he's incomplete until he takes down Alabama and Georgia. Period.
A win against those teams is really the next step for Mark.
Stoops has literally already achieved everything else other than coming in first in the SEC, SEC championship game, and making the playoffs.

Stoops has literally already achieved everything else other than coming in first in the SEC, SEC championship game, and making the playoffs.
Have to start winning regularly against TN first, and I don’t mean every year but cant lose 5 of last 6 including one massive blowout when we were ranked in the top 25.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
His numbers against teams ranked 10-25 are more impressive, at or over 50 percent.

And his numbers against top 10 teams is very modest, the only two wins being against U of L and Ole Miss.

But that last stat is almost a “parlor trick.” The vast majority of those Top 10 losses have been to Georgia and Bama, each (or both) steaming their way to National titles, or four-team playoffs. If you exclude only two or three teams, nationally, the whole of college football has modest records against Top 10 competition, especially against Georgia and Bama.

Heck, how many losses do Georgia and Bama have, combined, since 2017, and how many have been to another Top 5 opponent, or to each other? I think Georgia lost to South Carolina in 2017, and Bama got beat by A & M once in regular season play and by Texas once in regular season play. UT beat Bama once the last decade in regular season play. I assume LSU beat Bama in their title run a few years back.

Without looking, I’m guessing Georgia and Bama, combined, have a total of maybe 18 losses the last 7.5 seasons, with almost all coming from losses in the SEC Championship game, in the playoffs, or to one another. Hence, their combined records for the last 7.5 years is in the range of 158-18 . . . . with 3 or 4 real upsets.

To your point, here are some of those stats:

2013: 0-5 vs #1 Bama, #7 UL, #9 Mizzou, #13 S Car, #20 UF
2014: 0-3 vs #1 MS St, #17 UGA, #24 UL
2015: 1-0 vs #25 Mizzou (man, too bad this schedule wasn't one of Stoops' better years as they only played 1 team in the top 25 all season)
2016: 1-1, loss to #1 Bama, win vs #11 UL
2017: 0-3 vs #7 UGA, #20 UF, #20 Northwestern (bowl game)
2018: 3-1, loss vs #6 UGA, wins vs #14 MS St, #25 UF, #13 Penn St (bowl game)
2019: 0-2 vs #9 UF, #10 UGA
2020: 2-3, losses against #1 Bama, #6 UF, #8 Auburn, wins vs #18 UT, #24 NC State
2021: 2-1, loss to #1 UGA, wins vs #10 UF, #17 Iowa
2022: 2-3, loss to #1 UGA, #3 UT & #14 Ole Miss, wins against @12 UF & #16 MS St
2023: 2-3, loss to #1 UGA, #8 Bama, #21 UT; wins against #9 UL & #22 UF

So, if you consider 5 years to build the roster,
the first 5 seasons (2013-3017) against top 25: 2-12
the following 5 seasons (2018-2022) vs top 25: 8-9 (4 of those 9 losses were to Bama & UGA when each were ranked #1 in the country)...So, 8-4 against top 25 teams NOT ranked #1

This isn't to say Stoops couldn't have improved in some areas mentioned above. However, he has definitely raised the floor considerably.

Brooks didn't have the long term success Stoops has had but Brooks was the first phase of getting UK football to a respectable level.

A stat along these lines: in Brooks final 4 seasons, we were 15-8 against unranked major conference teams. We weren't knocking off GOOD teams much but we were out of the cellar and routinely beating decent teams.

I would love it but these are lofty expectations. Noone else is beating these teams either. It isnt just us. Theyre almost untouchable until the playoffs.

As another poster said, lets get more competitive with UT especially at their place. We compete well in Lexington but there is some large separation at neyland.

Reactions: JasonRDunn

Joker 1-12
Brooks 2-25
Morriss 1-7
Mumme 3-16
Curry 1-20
Claiborne 2-22

Strangely enough, that lawyer was John Adams and not The Hack, though they were classmates in law school.

Strangely enough, that lawyer was John Adams and not The Hack, though they were classmates in law school.

Quote is from Adams' closing argument defending the British soldiers who shot and killed colonists at the Boston Massacre (figured you and Hack knew that, but others might not)

Reactions: Johnfarrel
It's great what Stoops had accomplished here, doing things that his predecessors couldn't...facilities, upgraded stadium, locker rooms, recruiting room (remember the old "Recruiting Room"?! lol). This record speaks for itself. As fans do we want more? Of course, we always will. The only thing that really sticks out to me and I HOPE we improve on is the at home record against SEC teams. 2-9 isn't great and I want to see improvement there. Got to defend the home turf!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT