ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s the reality…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drew Valentine coaching record is 35-29
Rich Riley's coaching record is 127-94
Brian Michaelson has never been a head coach.

Those are the reason's I don't want them as a head coach. If I'm gonna get a young coach I'd want them to at least have a .600 winning percentage. I can't believe I even responded to this thread. I need to ban myself.

There’s no “singular guy” that can come in and replace Cal and be an ostensibly better or even similar fit.

Personally, I don’t want to go after one of the “big name” coaches once Cal leaves. I’d like to go get a younger (mid 30s to very early 40s) coach from a mid-major level that can run some really modern, creative offensive and defensive stuff.

Let Cal take in a GM role where he can help in recruiting and Basketball Operations stuff to ensure the biggest recruits still want to come to Kentucky. Because as much as many of y’all like to bash Cal, I have no doubts that his players (perhaps outside of 1 or 2 over his entire time at Kentucky) want to play for him and trust him to do what’s best for them.

For my “dream list” of candidates that fit this category it would be:

1) Drew Valentine (25 yo, Loyola HC)
2) Brian Michaelson (41 yo, Gonzaga assistant and lead recruiter)
3) Richie Riley (40 yo, South Alabama HC and EKU grad)
I kike it but I also want 3 year deals with Big bonuses for final 4, Like 3 years 12 mil. Then throw in there if you make a final 4 thats an extra mil, win it give them another mil.

My point exactly KY needs a guy from a major program who’s had success knows what they doing and getting into. My Top 3 have and continue to be Vogel Hurley and Oats.

Maybe he figures it out. But Vogel has zero experience as a college coach. He’s never had to recruit. He’s never had to deal with the college rule set like practice time limitations or impermissible benefits etc. There haven’t been a ton of guys go from nba to college that have been successful.

Hurley’s been a college coach for 13 years now and has had one stand out season. And they still lost 8 games.

I’m intrigued with Oats. But i think we could potentially do better. And i’m not completely i convinced he’d take it anyways.

Based on…what? What are you basing that on? The fact that you don’t pay enough attention to CBB to actually know who they are? Pitino was at freaking Providence before he came to UK and he did fine lol. It’s not like Providence is some super high pressure working environment.

Who would you rather have?
Yeah but he'd also been to a final four and spent several seasons with the Knicks. That's a big springboard for recruiting and getting players to buy in when he came to UK.

Maybe he figures it out. But Vogel has zero experience as a college coach. He’s never had to recruit. He’s never had to deal with the college rule set like practice time limitations or impermissible benefits etc. There haven’t been a ton of guys go from nba to college that have been successful.

Hurley’s been a college coach for 13 years now and has had one stand out season. And they still lost 8 games.

I’m intrigued with Oats. But i think we could potentially do better. And i’m not completely i convinced he’d take it anyways.
I think a UK contract offer for Nate Oats would be a leveraging tool to get Alabama to overpay him.

I think there’s room for him in a “GM” type role. I think inside of the next ten years the majority of competitve programs are going to have a position like that. Somebody that doesn’t do the on court stuff but is a “personnel handler”. Somebody who helps out the athletes on the roster as well as is constantly “recruiting” them to not transfer (which you have to do these days).

I just don’t think one person (especially an older coach) has the energy or mental capacity to do EVERYTHING that they have to do these days. Let Cal deal with the kids in terms of keeping them happy and being an NIL liaison (as well as keep an eye on future transfers from other teams) and let the younger head coach do the Xs and Os and be your talent identifier that opens the recruitment of kids. Then the GM steps in and helps close the deal with the NIL stuff.

And yes, I agree that Kentucky is really only a 10 year job. The fan base’s expectations are simply too unrealistic and simply too impatient to last longer than that. Not to mention having dinosaurs for a President and AD that are constantly at odds with your athletic programs can age you quickly too.
There is no room for Cal in any role here once he is done tearing our program down. He needs to move on and get way far away from here.

There’s no “singular guy” that can come in and replace Cal and be an ostensibly better or even similar fit.

Personally, I don’t want to go after one of the “big name” coaches once Cal leaves. I’d like to go get a younger (mid 30s to very early 40s) coach from a mid-major level that can run some really modern, creative offensive and defensive stuff.

Let Cal take in a GM role where he can help in recruiting and Basketball Operations stuff to ensure the biggest recruits still want to come to Kentucky. Because as much as many of y’all like to bash Cal, I have no doubts that his players (perhaps outside of 1 or 2 over his entire time at Kentucky) want to play for him and trust him to do what’s best for them.

For my “dream list” of candidates that fit this category it would be:

1) Drew Valentine (25 yo, Loyola HC)
2) Brian Michaelson (41 yo, Gonzaga assistant and lead recruiter)
3) Richie Riley (40 yo, South Alabama HC and EKU grad)
The reality is just about any coach would be better than Cal. All you have to do is look objectively at how bad the program has performed the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT