ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s the cherry on top

drew_ukfan

All-American
Aug 6, 2008
Back in the day, Kentucky would take a hard loss to a UAB or Marquette and it would suck but you knew the underclassmen would be back. I used to sit in my bedroom at age 14 and write future years roster out with the recruits I dreamed of having when I read about them in the catspause newspaper. There was hope, I dreamed what Joe Crawford and Randolph Morris would be and how they’d integrate into our program and state. I lived and died with every game

Well today, I’m 33 and it’s not yet 7am, I’m sitting in my living room after a good nights sleep. And I got to thinking what the worst part actually is for me. There are zero roster guarantees next year

Reed, Dilly, Wagner, Edwards all going to be one and dones? Bradshaw and Ugo and Z and Theiro going to transfer?

The only continuity we seem to have is a coach that is clearly incapable of his job and an AD who gives out contract extensions like they’re butterscotch candy.

I miss the days when you could count on these freshmen coming back and getting better and showing some pride in the jersey, wanting to win for not just themselves but the state. It’s all gone now. Just a free agent carousel. I’d rather get 3 and 4 star players that want to be in our program for multiple years. If one breaks out and is a one and done, fine but I’m tired of this. If Cal continues on, I think I’m out folks.

Think this is a lot of the fatigue with this. A crap loss can happen. But before we had guys you watch grow and invest in.

It’s been like this for a while. Winning covered it up but when it’s years and years of the same losses. The fatigue really sets in.

I am absolutely done until Cal is gone. I’ve had family already committed to that but it was hard for me to give up on the Cats. Now.

Fatigue & Apathy.

Think this is a lot of the fatigue with this. A crap loss can happen. But before we had guys you watch grow and invest in.

It’s been like this for a while. Winning covered it up but when it’s years and years of the same losses. The fatigue really sets in.

I am absolutely done until Cal is gone. I’ve had family already committed to that but it was hard for me to give up on the Cats. Now.

Fatigue & Apathy.
I love the Cincinnati reds and they lose, a lot. But I had Joey Votto to watch for 17 seasons and Brandon Phillips who was there 10 years, etc. there’s always continuity and I love that.

This is just 1 year free agency and fatigue has set in, well said

Back in the day, Kentucky would take a hard loss to a UAB or Marquette and it would suck but you knew the underclassmen would be back. I used to sit in my bedroom at age 14 and write future years roster out with the recruits I dreamed of having when I read about them in the catspause newspaper. There was hope, I dreamed what Joe Crawford and Randolph Morris would be and how they’d integrate into our program and state. I lived and died with every game

Well today, I’m 33 and it’s not yet 7am, I’m sitting in my living room after a good nights sleep. And I got to thinking what the worst part actually is for me. There are zero roster guarantees next year

Reed, Dilly, Wagner, Edwards all going to be one and dones? Bradshaw and Ugo and Z and Theiro going to transfer?

The only continuity we seem to have is a coach that is clearly incapable of his job and an AD who gives out contract extensions like they’re butterscotch candy.

I miss the days when you could count on these freshmen coming back and getting better and showing some pride in the jersey, wanting to win for not just themselves but the state. It’s all gone now. Just a free agent carousel. I’d rather get 3 and 4 star players that want to be in our program for multiple years. If one breaks out and is a one and done, fine but I’m tired of this. If Cal continues on, I think I’m out folks.
Unless we somehow return some good pieces from this team (Reed, Z, Theiro for example) I will not watch next year if cal is coaching. I will take next basketball season off and do something else with my time. As much as I want Z back, cal has no clue how to best use him and basically made him ineffective the last part of the season. Can’t imagine how bad cal would screw him up having a full year plus to get in his head.

This is precisely my thought as well.

We're replacing weak, young undeveloped freshmen with more weaker, younger undeveloped freshmen. Our best player next year is presently only 16 years old.

We're going to get manhandled next year. Cal's stubborn refusal to actually address the issue indicates to me that we're in for more 10 to 13 loss seasons as we close out these last few aimlessly drifting seasons.

Totally right. If there was a sense that there’d be continuity, the March losses would hurt so much less. Most of last night I kept thinking about how good this class could be if we brought back 80% of the team like it was back in the day. We’d be excited about a sophomore Big Z and expect big improvements from DJ and Justin. But no. They’ll all leave and we’ll get some new crop of dudes that won’t get coached up and end up getting bounced early.

With the portal and NIL$$$, now every player can be a one and done, not only Freshmen who leave for NBA opportunities. ANY player who is motivated to leave, regardless of the reason, can exit the program. Roster turnover has been accelerated and maintaining talent continuity has become increasingly difficult, if not impossible. This is the new reality. Hopefully, KY’s NIL$$$ can be strong enough to minimize roster turnover. We’ll see … regardless of who is coach.

With the portal and NIL$$$, now every player can be a one and done, not only Freshmen who leave for NBA opportunities. ANY player who is motivated to leave, regardless of the reason, can exit the program. Roster turnover has been accelerated and maintaining talent continuity has become increasingly difficult, if not impossible. This is the new reality. Hopefully, KY’s NIL$$$ can be strong enough to minimize roster turnover. We’ll see … regardless of who is coach.
My thinking was Kentucky NIL can pay more than a lot of schools. Not going to entice nba picks to come back but players that will be multiple year college guys to stay. You’re right but that was my thinking when I said “recruit 3 and 4 star players”

Having a coach be a dick about all of it really drives it home as well. Like we shouldn’t question anything just be happy he is here.

Had it before you and we will have it after you. Cause this is what we take pride in.
He’s probably already home, going to sleep in late then get up and have a big glass of milk with a plate of Ellen’s brownies. Zero worries about life

I want a coach that can’t sleep after a loss and is hungry for things more than what he can stuff his face with

We were going to donate a couple hundred to both basketball and football NIL funds.

Not anymore we will put it all to the football program. Even though a couple hundred dollars won’t break Cal and the clown gang. They won’t get it from us.

Stoops gets our full donation amount.

Reactions: Jeff2Reed

I’ve always enjoyed your posts. Maybe bc I envision Jim Halpert saying these things per your pic 😂.

UK basketball fans are in a bad place today and feel much like you this morning.

My thinking was Kentucky NIL can pay more than a lot of schools. Not going to entice nba picks to come back but players that will be multiple year college guys to stay. You’re right but that was my thinking when I said “recruit 3 and 4 star players”
I understand your point, but does that mean you do not recruit the best Freshmen you can find ?? Do you look at a player and think … we don’t want him, he’s too good ??

Regards NIL$$$, we’ll see how it works now and what non-NBA players stay …

Unless we somehow return some good pieces from this team (Reed, Z, Theiro for example) I will not watch next year if cal is coaching. I will take next basketball season off and do something else with my time. As much as I want Z back, cal has no clue how to best use him and basically made him ineffective the last part of the season. Can’t imagine how bad cal would screw him up having a full year plus to get in his head.
Same reason I rarely watch any more. Told the wife that I don’t wanna waste two hours knowing Ill probably be disappointed after those two hours. That is what Cal has done to a fan of 60 years.

Reactions: dl51344
I understand your point, but does that mean you do not recruit the best Freshmen you can find ?? Do you look at a player and think … we don’t want him, he’s too good ??

Regards NIL$$$, we’ll see how it works now and what non-NBA players stay …

I wouldn’t take 4-5 clear one and dones on the same roster. I don’t think I’d say “he’s too good” I’d say “he’s got handlers that will push him to leave and he doesn’t look physically mature enough to win in the short time in college and that isn’t how I’m building my program”

We have not seen yet the effect NIL will have

I wouldn’t take 4-5 clear one and dones on the same roster. I don’t think I’d say “he’s too good” I’d say “he’s got handlers that will push him to leave and he doesn’t look physically mature enough to win in the short time in college and that isn’t how I’m building my program”

We have not seen yet the effect NIL will have
I understand your point, but it begs the question: which of the incoming Freshmen do you wish we had not recruited ?? It’s a tough damn issue, fir sure, you are correct.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jeff2Reed
And, back then it was the rare loss to UAB or Marquette, now it's St Peter's and Oakland.

I love the Cincinnati reds and they lose, a lot. But I had Joey Votto to watch for 17 seasons and Brandon Phillips who was there 10 years, etc. there’s always continuity and I love that.

This is just 1 year free agency and fatigue has set in, well said
Right. The Cubs sucking and Kentucky sucking feel so completely different.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
He’s probably already home, going to sleep in late then get up and have a big glass of milk with a plate of Ellen’s brownies. Zero worries about life

I want a coach that can’t sleep after a loss and is hungry for things more than what he can stuff his face with
I guarantee you the bloated ego slept a hell of a lot better than I did last night. I have gone from disliking to actually hating him.

more cherries on top—generational poverty and all…

from espn after the game:
"I've done this with young teams my whole career, and it's going to be hard for me to change that, because we've helped so many young people and their families that I don't see myself just saying, 'OK, we're not going to recruit freshmen,'" Calipari said.
"We've been able to help so many kids and win so many games and Final Fours, national titles and all this stuff, win league championships with young guys.

The guy is delusional—how about focusing on doing your job john—winning games

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT