ADVERTISEMENT

henderson

blufvr4evr

Blue Chip Prospect
Jul 26, 2009
my god get rid of him.....he's the worst coach i've ever seen......his decisions are terrible.....just bad,
furious.r191677.gif

What decisions yesterday were so bad that set you off into starting this thread?

1st few seasons should be enough evidence of this staffs ineptitude......next season will prove me out......
flush.r191677.gif

As in any level of baseball, it all comes down to pitching and defense. Doesn't look as if any pitching is being developed. Wait until next year.

There sure doesn't seem to be much development ^^^^

Plus, the guy makes more head scratching decisions .... I can't stand it!

It's the same story every year ... start strong and get all the hopes up, only to drop like a rock in SEC play, and (if they make the tournament) drop the 1st game of the tournament to an inferior opponent, and have to battle uphill, only to fizzle out in the regional. Enough is enough. Send him packing.

I don't visit this board often so I can't act like I'm a veteran poster here. However; I do pull for all UK athletic teams and love it when any UK team does well. I'm not here to argue with anyone but I watched all of the tournament games and Henderson looks like he's just going through the motions and the team doesn't seem to show much emotion. We may win every game next year and I'd be thrilled but Henderson makes questionable decisions and doesn't seem to be anything other than average. Just my assessment from watching UK baseball for the past few years. Still hope next year is better but I'm not feeling very confident at this point.

Originally posted by CHAMPCAT11:
I don't visit this board often so I can't act like I'm a veteran poster here. However; I do pull for all UK athletic teams and love it when any UK team does well. I'm not here to argue with anyone but I watched all of the tournament games and Henderson looks like he's just going through the motions and the team doesn't seem to show much emotion. We may win every game next year and I'd be thrilled but Henderson makes questionable decisions and doesn't seem to be anything other than average. Just my assessment from watching UK baseball for the past few years. Still hope next year is better but I'm not feeling very confident at this point.
That is the point...What reason is there for any UK fan to feel confident at this point...That is why that when it reaches this stage it is time for a change...

That was something I noticed this season in the Tennessee series. The dugout was pretty damn quiet. Even when winning we were pretty quiet. If you watched the UL game you saw them being extremely pumped. They were acting more like they were the team on the brink of elimination. Playing like their lives depended on it while UK only showed some fire after the UL player took our Bernal's knee. That could be a lack of leadership, but I also think it has a lot to do with Henderson's own personality and coaching style.

One thing I noticed this weekend is that all 3 other teams in the Regional made better strategic moves to advance runners. That field was eating up bunts, and I saw at least 7 or 8 bunts for clean hits. Kansas and Louisville both did very well with strategic bunts. Shelby is a great example. Very good fielder, decent bat, great speed. When he leads off an inning, bunt him to first base. He had one bunt for a hit against Kent State (I think that's when it was), but that's the only other time he tried to bunt. Why? If he gets on, then Cousino could bunt him to 2nd, and possibly beat the throw to 1st. And then you have Kuhn and Reed coming up, with runners in scoring position. I don't get it. This happened over and over this weekend and one of the reasons the offense stalled.

^ we were a horrible bunting team...likely the reason. And the freshmen were especially bad.

We were better push/drag bunting for hits than Sac bunting, so maybe you're right in that we should've tried to lay a few more down for hits.

Originally posted by wildcat1973:
One thing I noticed this weekend is that all 3 other teams in the Regional made better strategic moves to advance runners. That field was eating up bunts, and I saw at least 7 or 8 bunts for clean hits. Kansas and Louisville both did very well with strategic bunts. Shelby is a great example. Very good fielder, decent bat, great speed. When he leads off an inning, bunt him to first base. He had one bunt for a hit against Kent State (I think that's when it was), but that's the only other time he tried to bunt. Why? If he gets on, then Cousino could bunt him to 2nd, and possibly beat the throw to 1st. And then you have Kuhn and Reed coming up, with runners in scoring position. I don't get it. This happened over and over this weekend and one of the reasons the offense stalled.
Very good points. In last night's game the feel was pretty much whoever scored 1-2 runs they would probably win. Yet, anytime UK got on the base they played for the big inning rather than to score a run and get the thing tied up. Even when we tried to play small ball Reida wasn't able to get the bunt down and offered at two balls instead of waiting for a strike. That's just dumb. I know we were an outstanding hitting team, but there are times when you need to manufacture some runs and we definitely weren't able to do that. No one on our team, all season long, looked as though were capable of putting a bunt down when called upon to do so. Maybe that is why our pitchers were so poor at fielding bunts?

Originally posted by Comebakatz3:

Very good points. In last night's game the feel was pretty much whoever scored 1-2 runs they would probably win. Yet, anytime UK got on the base they played for the big inning rather than to score a run and get the thing tied up. Even when we tried to play small ball Reida wasn't able to get the bunt down and offered at two balls instead of waiting for a strike. That's just dumb. I know we were an outstanding hitting team, but there are times when you need to manufacture some runs and we definitely weren't able to do that. No one on our team, all season long, looked as though were capable of putting a bunt down when called upon to do so. Maybe that is why our pitchers were so poor at fielding bunts?
I wish that could be the excuse...but teams run PFP's all the time for pitchers, and that doesn't rely on the success of your bunting in practice...coaches roll the balls like bunts and all that good stuff.

I think we have some spazz's on the mound...also might have some guys that are good pitchers, but weak athletes.

I was pissed at Reida in that moment, because like you said big hitting teams still have to manufacture some runs every now and then...and a lefty senior bat that doesn't hit for a great avg should be the best bunter on the team...

That was something I noticed this season in the Tennessee series. The dugout was pretty damn quiet. Even when winning we were pretty quiet. If you watched the UL game you saw them being extremely pumped. They were acting more like they were the team on the brink of elimination. Playing like their lives depended on it while UK only showed some fire after the UL player took our Bernal's knee. That could be a lack of leadership, but I also think it has a lot to do with Henderson's own personality and coaching style.
I agree, Hendo is the complete opposite of John Cohen. Hendo is the California laid back type, while Cohen is a bubbly, and firey competitor, who has been tossed out of games several times at each school he has coached at.
UK needs more Michael Williams type personalities who showed emotion, and fired up his team mates, although Redia, and Bernal are firey type players on this team, most are somewhat laid back, like their skipper !

Originally posted by CatsFanGG24:

I wish that could be the excuse...but teams run PFP's all the time for pitchers, and that doesn't rely on the success of your bunting in practice...coaches roll the balls like bunts and all that good stuff.

I think we have some spazz's on the mound...also might have some guys that are good pitchers, but weak athletes.

I was pissed at Reida in that moment, because like you said big hitting teams still have to manufacture some runs every now and then...and a lefty senior bat that doesn't hit for a great avg should be the best bunter on the team...
I know that wasn't the reason, but our pitchers really looked terrible all weekend fielding bunts, and often times did a poor job of it during the season as well.

I was pissed at him as well. I was yelling at the tv wondering what he was bunting at when the ball was head high. It was also frustrating because the guys were just up there swinging and not making Rogers pitch, and that was another even more prominent example of that. Shelby and Reida should be expert bunters, but I don't trust either one of them to lay one down when we have to have one.

Originally posted by CatsFanGG24:

I know that wasn't the reason, but our pitchers really looked terrible all weekend fielding bunts, and often times did a poor job of it during the season as well.

I was pissed at him as well. I was yelling at the tv wondering what he was bunting at when the ball was head high. It was also frustrating because the guys were just up there swinging and not making Rogers pitch, and that was another even more prominent example of that. Shelby and Reida should be expert bunters, but I don't trust either one of them to lay one down when we have to have one.
Absolutely.

Coaches can teach techniques and tell you the rules of baseball, but they cant perform for you.

Reida is a prime example on the bunt...Bernal is a great example of players screwing up what coaches teach as well. On 3rd, ball in the air - get back to the bag immediately...he danced around and lost 2 steps, then gets gunned. If he follows a simple baseball rule, he scores and doesn't get tossed.

Now UL had some bonehead plays as well. Guy on 3rd heads home on contact w/a ground ball to 3b with the corners playing in. Just stupid, and no doubt he has been taught the opposite, but he blew it.

Barnhart tweeted this afternoon noting @UKBaseball's "great season". Don't expect a change at the helm of the program anytime soon.

A change WILL NOT happen.

Barnhart has proven that he hates "microwave society" (shudder) thinking. Sadly enough, this season was one of the best in school history so he's goign to stand by that as a testament to what's right (as opposed to noticing painfully obvious things that are wrong).

I think that bottom-line results matter most, but there is also a "feel" to this. Joker was losing, but there was also the feeling around the program that was extremely negative (and the sense that there was absolutely no one steering the ship that was clearly sinking). Even with that obvious peril, it took a TON of pressure on barnhart to get him to fire Joker. This is baseball, so the same pressure simply does not exist at UK (unless, of course, the loss to UL fires up the fanbase and causes our fans to crave more success now that UL is going to yet another super regional).

UK baseball is at a stage ,where there is very little positive momentum to build on.This is a stagnant program ,with not a lot of positive buzz.Henderson does not seem to have the personality,to engage the fans interest,or the players enthusiasm ,for motivated play and following!The program is just not very engaging to us fans and evidently not elevating the players performances,especially pitching,which is Henderson's expertise!!

My guess is that next season will be very ugly and this will really come to a head especially after UL probably make another CWS this year...There is really NO excuse for UK to be in the position vs. Eastern Parkway University right now..
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT