ADVERTISEMENT

Have you noticed how Pope keeps mentioning #9?

Cal started doing that before 2015. Remember the infamous May 2015 tweet.

''I know I'm gonna drive you traditionalists crazy, but we started this year not with the goal of winning a title, but to get 8 players drafted''.
I really don't remember that. If true, it was a stupid statement. That team did have that many talented players but even still, the statement was not good in any way. Again, if true.

I will say that our transfers are receiving great reviews from very knowledgeable people on this board. I also admit to never seeing any of them actually play. If the players are as good as advertised, Pope is expected to be in the mix for the title.

If Pope wasn't pursuing number 9 in year one then he's not the right coach for the job. Will we be the most talented team next year? No. Does the most talented team always win the championship? Also no. I don't expect a natty but I expect the pursuance of one. Thinking it's impossible is a loser's mentality.

He immediately said from the beginning of his press conference his goal was to win championships. Cal in the beginning said he was here because he could recruit the best of the best. Cal was correct in his goal, it just didn’t align with the fans goals of actually winning. Let’s hope Pope is also correct in his goals, as it aligns perfectly with the fan base.

I really don't remember that. If true, it was a stupid statement. That team did have that many talented players but even still, the statement was not good in any way. Again, if true.

Made me search...

It’s like he’s instilling it in the team from the start, we’re going for the title year one. I don’t think I’ve seen a first year coach do that before. I love it!
It's been so long we just aren't use to a lot of things Pope is bringing here. Feel like a new man with Kentucky basketball back.

"If true?" You make it sound like Cal writing or saying something so imbecilic is below him. He said stupid stuff like that all the time.

Last edited:
Something the previous coach stopped doing after 2015.
“Wahhh!!!, I blew my perfect season and now I’m going to spend the rest of my tenure never trying to do it again because I was so close and it’s not fair!!”

“Sending kids to the NBA is easy at this point so that’s what I’m going to make this program all about”

~~ John Calipari (2016 - 2024)

So… if you have a really sharp and large smart tv and you zoom in on the sports book in the “Back to the Future” movie, it says the 2025 National Championships are… JK

Reactions: sportspm
🐄 did his best coaching job in 15 to me. The platoon squad won 38 straight effing games. He tightened up against ND and certainly Wisconsin. Came out and said immediately, we'll never do that again. I thought he had really cracked the code. We were dominating teams, to the point of embarrassment. He also hated us.
Bad take. He ruined that team. Went away from the platoon and started leaning on KAT. Went from blowing teams out to squeaking out wins.

🐄 did his best coaching job in 15 to me. The platoon squad won 38 straight effing games. He tightened up against ND and certainly Wisconsin. Came out and said immediately, we'll never do that again. I thought he had really cracked the code. We were dominating teams, to the point of embarrassment. He also hated us.
Until he fell in love with tossing the ball to the damn post on every single possession. It bogged down the offense, instead of just playing. Also, fell in love with getting KAT drafted number one. Ruined the season.

He said platooning hurt recruiting 🙄

Cal started doing that before 2015. Remember the infamous May 2015 tweet.

''I know I'm gonna drive you traditionalists crazy, but we started this year not with the goal of winning a title, but to get 8 players drafted''.
Unless you're one of the chosen ones who're on draft boards, why would a player play for a coach who says something like this? No wonder the clown couldn't build a team w/ quality depth

Unless you're one of the chosen ones who're on draft boards, why would a player play for a coach who says something like this? No wonder the clown couldn't build a team w/ quality depth
Cal's ego was so big he thought elite recruits, who live for competition. Didn't care about winning. Only getting to the NBA. Duke outpitched him by pitching both.

Ummmm, it’s kind of Kentucky’s standards. A lot of our fans aren’t putting championship expectations on this team but don’t tell Pope, because he is! We finally have a guy who wants/prepares to win at all and any cost!
Every year. Remember, he one of us. He gets it. When anyone says this is unrealistic, then you don’t belong in the BBN. Will we win it every year,. Of course not but that has become our goal, not how many we send to the NBA. Refreshing to say the least.

So… if you have a really sharp and large smart tv and you zoom in on the sports book in the “Back to the Future” movie, it says the 2025 National Championships are… JK
Not possible. Marty bought the book when he was in the future, which was 2015 in the movie.

Mark Pope has brought excitement back to the program, and has united the fan base once again.

Cal had me so apathetic it was incredibly depressing, but it also enraged me what he did to our beloved KENTUCKY WILDCATS!!!! He literally destroyed the program, and now it's time to return it to glory. I honestly believe Pope will be the coach to do just that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT