ADVERTISEMENT

Has the UK name (basketball program) lost it's luster?

Is this a serious question?

Vegas just listed you as the faves. Apparently the sharps dont see any lack of luster

Is this a serious question?

Vegas just listed you as the faves. Apparently the sharps dont see any lack of luster

On one hand it is a bit silly.

But the reason why people say this and the reason these threads pop up is because the recruiting has certainly taking a hit post 2015.

Granted we are still getting very good players. We just aren't getting the Davis, Wall, Cousins, Towns, Booker etc etc etc type players anymore.

We’re still Kentucky. That won’t change. Calipari is not the right guy for the job right now and I’m sure even he knows it, but we’re too big to fail long term. Programs like Duke will fade over time. A private school with a shaky hold on the power conference scene and no football. I’m sorry that’s not going to last.

The media has completely given Duke a crazy unfair advantage and even UNC has been complaining about it. Once they begin to lose with Scheyer, and they will, it will wear off.

Kentucky always does one thing, returns to prominence no matter where we are in any given time. That won’t be any different in this era.

Always notice who Duke wants to be, who they imitate, who they try and project themselves as. Kentucky. We’re going nowhere.
Grom I'm usually with you but I gotta disagree. Duke is established and always going to be there for the most part. I know you know this but they were a successful program before K got there. Nothing to special but they made final fours. We beat them in the title in 78 right? I agree we're to big to fail. I agree a couple wrong hirings can really set Duke back but they're recruiting great.

Recruiting freedom. That’s the phrase Rivals’ Travis Graf used to describe what Jai Lucas is getting when he goes to Duke. We all know money was not the deciding factor in this job. Kentucky could match any offer Duke put on the table. However, it appears that Lucas wanted the keys to drive his car where ever he’d like to recruit the best basketball players in America.

That same phrase was used when Joel Justus was pushed out the door last spring. That could have easily been chalked up to sour grapes. The fact that it’s been used a second time is concerning. Justus and Lucas were both the young guys on the staff, using their savvy to create early connections in the process and develop bonds with the 16-year-old prospects. They were in that position to give Calipari insight he cannot see from his perspective as a 63-year-old man.

Most employees believe they deserve more from their employer. This is not a new concept. There may have been nothing that could have stopped Lucas from walking out the door. However, this decision and that particular phrasing makes one question if the controlling head coach needs to take a step back and let his young assistants do what they’re paid to do: recruit the best young basketball players in America.

Has the UK name lost its luster,no. Has the Calipari name lost its luster YES
I wish I could agree ALG. The beef with Nike, downturn in recruiting, and losing games that shouldn't be lost are also diminishing the UK brand. IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT