ADVERTISEMENT

Has a coach ever won a championship at the same school he won one as a player?

Feb 21, 2020
Has there ever been a coach that won a national championship at the same school where he won a national championship?

Doesn't count. He quit during the season before they won the championship because he wanted more playing time. Kids back then were lazy and entitled and wouldn't wait their turn and earn it so they took easy transfer route.
Thanks, TusconCat. I appreciate the correction. Though he quit, it was not the season before they won the championship. It was after playing three games in this season...their second consecutive championship season. He was on the opening day roster and the official team picture as Jon Scott captured in the link.

Reactions: chroix
Thanks, TusconCat. I appreciate the correction. Though he quit, it was not the season before they won the championship. It was after playing three games in this season...their second consecutive championship season. He was on the opening day roster and the official team picture as Jon Scott captured in the link.

As far as I’m concerned he was part of the team that won the title. End of story.

As far as I’m concerned he was part of the team that won the title. End of story.
It's an interesting debate. Should a guy who quits a team after the 4th game of the season (in a 34 game season) be considered having won a title with that team?

If Kentucky would have won the title in 2008, would people consider Alex Legion (who quit after the 6th game) as someone who won a title at UK?

It's an interesting debate. Should a guy who quits a team after the 4th game of the season (in a 34 game season) be considered having won a title with that team?
I think nearly everybody’s answer would be a firm “no way” if the person in question wasn’t a beloved figure like Joe B.

Hell, folks here insist that Shaedon Sharpe was never a Cat, but at least he was on the roster/bench wearing the uniform until the season’s end. Joe B didn’t even do that, he was long gone from Lexington when that team won its title.

I actually don't even think the debate is interesting. Dude quit. He wasn't on the team. Period.

That said, there's probably not a more universally beloved figure in UK hoops history than Joe B. Other than Mr. Wildcat.

If Kentucky would have won the title in 2008, would people consider Alex Legion (who quit after the 6th game) as someone who won a title at UK?

I think there’s an argument at least given how rare it is. It’s the closest we’ve seen to a coach winning titles as both. Given the differences in the times I highly doubt the move was as simple as sneezing which is something good enough for players today to transfer over.

I’d say at minimum he’s the closest we’ve seen do it. If Pope does it he’s technically the first. Which would be something else we’d be able to say were the first and greatest at, former players coming back to win titles as coaches.

Reactions: Fox2monk and KFuqua
Given the differences in the times I highly doubt the move was as simple as sneezing which is something good enough for players today to transfer over.
It was even easier back then. Joe B quit UK in December, and started playing for University of the South in January. Kids of that generation just didn't care about the name on the front of the jersey, only the name on the back.

I think there’s an argument at least given how rare it is.
Not much of one. It’s well accepted that after you quit a team you are no longer a part of that team. And Joe B had not only long since quit …he’d already joined another team …when UK won that title.

It takes some convoluted logic to try to credit that title to his resume.

Not much of one. It’s well accepted that after you quit a team you are no longer a part of that team. And Joe B had not only long since quit …he’d already joined another team …when UK won that title.

It takes some convoluted logic to try to credit that title to his resume.

Yea that’s true, I guess it’s just the closest thing we’ve had to actually seeing it so I guess I think that should count for something in the argument. I’m also a Hall fan so I want to edge it over the line.

Reactions: UK90 and chroix
If he’d played in three games and torn his ACL he’d still be a Cat. And he did play minutes on that squad even if it were limited. I think your stuck with Joe B having accomplished this feat already.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Also, can’t imagine what a loser you’d feel like if you were on a team and left and they went on to win it all. Talk about doubting your own decisions. Jeez.

Hate to say it, but Scheyer also has a shot.

Didn't want to say it but thought about it. I am not sold on him winning a title yet though.

I'm basing Popes prediction due to UK elevating coaches and if the coach stays sober they have won a title here. Now winning more than 1 title has been a problem for each coach post Rupp for various reasons.

Reactions: bthaunert
I seem to remember people saying Enes would have been ring eligible despite not playing because of practice as well.

Hall told a good story about leaving UK. Rupp had more talent on his squad than he could play. The team affectionately referred to the roster as the Fab Five and the Sorry Seven, and Hall belonged to the Seven. Before the team departed for SEC play, Rupp told his weakest four players that they would have to draw straws to determine who would make the trip and who would stay home. At that point, Hall approached Rupp about a transfer and Rupp gave his blessing. Rupp then helped Hall find his way to Sewanee. where Lon Varnell was coaching. Hall lost a lot of academic credits when he transferred, so he did not graduate from Sewanee. He returned to UK to finish his degree.

You can hear Hall's account in this long interview with Kyle Macy. If you only have a few minutes to listen, Hall tells the transfer story in segment 2:

Hall told a good story about leaving UK. Rupp had more talent on his squad than he could play. The team affectionately referred to the roster as the Fab Five and the Sorry Seven, and Hall belonged to the Seven. Before the team departed for SEC play, Rupp told his weakest four players that they would have to draw straws to determine who would make the trip and who would stay home. At that point, Hall approached Rupp about a transfer and Rupp gave his blessing. Rupp then helped Hall find his way to Sewanee. where Lon Varnell was coaching. Hall lost a lot of academic credits when he transferred, so he did not graduate from Sewanee. He returned to UK to finish his degree.

You can hear Hall's account in this long interview with Kyle Macy. If you only have a few minutes to listen, Hall tells the transfer story in segment 2:

Hall was leading scorer at Sewanee the minute he got there. Wonder why Adolt Rump didn't play him more? Let Ralph Beards draft position dictate rotation. And Hall was a walk on and not one of Rupps prized recruits, thats why. And what if he got hurt? We couldve used Joe B, but Rump pushing him out. More worried about players getting there's than he was winning championships.

• Haha
Reactions: Bkocats
It was even easier back then. Joe B quit UK in December, and started playing for University of the South in January. Kids of that generation just didn't care about the name on the front of the jersey, only the name on the back.
Why be such a douche ?

Hall was leading scorer at Sewanee the minute he got there. Wonder why Adolt Rump didn't play him more? Let Ralph Beards draft position dictate rotation. And Hall was a walk on and not one of Rupps prized recruits, thats why. And what if he got hurt? We couldve used Joe B, but Rump pushing him out. More worried about players getting there's than he was winning championships.
Again, why the douche baggery?

If he’d played in three games and torn his ACL he’d still be a Cat. And he did play minutes on that squad even if it were limited. I think your stuck with Joe B having accomplished this feat already.
Injured and ending up on another roster entirely are apples and bar stools.

It isn't even close to the same thing.

Reactions: KFuqua
Except Rupp made the right choice, seeing as he won the title that season.

I hope that if a new practice facility is built they name it after Joe B. I think that’d be fitting.

I know all the stuff about money and naming rights but he deserves to be honored because he was a native son who gave his all for UK and coached some great teams in the shadow of a legend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT