ADVERTISEMENT

Harrell no longer a UL Captain

Originally posted by cats2010:

Originally posted by IL Wildcat:
I'll say this. Harrell is no first team AA but he gets the most of his ability and he is easily the best player on that team. I don't think Rick should be disciplining Harrell at all. Without that guy, they'd be sitting at about 7-8 losses right now easily.
Not much for basketball evaluation if you think Harrell is easily the best player on the team. Harrell has no true basketball skill whatsoever.
But the poster's point is true.

Without Harrell that team would be doomed. The same goes for Rozier and Jones.

The issue with the team is that once you get past those three guys you run into guys who just can't perform at a high level consistently.

Harrell has some issues and he is definitely not a polished player, but he also has no help inside. That team's 5 spot is a complete and total void.

Originally posted by Joneslab:

According to Drew Deener, this has something to do with "something that happened around the Long Beach State game" and not because of Harrell's play. Which seems bizarre to me, but whatever.

Pitino has a habit of publicly running up against his best player. Did the same thing with Russ Smith: called him out to the media, questioned his shot selection, spent entire press conferences railing against him. Not sure why he does it but it's another example of the stark differences between Cal and Pitino.
Hmmm....the game right after they played UK.

It's pretty clear to me that Harrell hates his teammates and the feeling is mutual. Not exactly captain material.

Pitino has narrowed down his list for Captain Trezz's replacement...
[/B]
Captains.jpg

Joneslab posted on 1/20/2015...

According to Drew Deener, this has something to do with "something that happened around the Long Beach State game" and not because of Harrell's play. Which seems bizarre to me, but whatever.

Pitino has a habit of publicly running up against his best player. Did the same thing with Russ Smith: called him out to the media, questioned his shot selection, spent entire press conferences railing against him. Not sure why he does it but it's another example of the stark differences between Cal and Pitino.
He did this all the time in Boston with Antoine Walker too. But the Boston media caught on and called him on it.
It was one of the things that ultimately got him driven out of Boston. Too bad the UL administration and Louisville media are so far in the tank for him they won't see how destructive this behavior is, especially with college kids. His mind games are old and tired.

Originally posted by *Bleedingblue*:
I wouldn't get to carries away in criticism of his over zealous celebrations. Towns loves to celebrate too, I have no problem with it. I'm not going to be like Vitale and critique players like he did to Terrence Jones.
What he did was just stupid as Jones didn't celebrate that much. Celebrating helps others get fired up as well.
Townes doesn't Flex and Scream like some retard,especially against cupcakes,and Terrence Jones wasn't near as bad as Harrell either.

Harrell is an over-rated,under-sized forward,that will fail like all Pitino's L1C7 players do in the NBA

Originally posted by Kybluedude:
On the way home Lou radio repeated Montez Harrell is no longer a UL Team Captain. Wonder what happened from the start of the season?
Might be transfer to Indiana.

I said at the start of the season that Harrell is no all American. Not even an ACC all American. I was ripped by this board for that prediction.

Louisville is what I said they were. A fringe top 25 team and it's starting to show. Harrell is the most overrated player I think I've ever seen. Kids got small game, he just expresses it in a big way.

Does anyone who debated the issue still think he's all American quality?

Has anyone heard Vitale criticize Harrell's antics? They way he carried on about T. Jones, it seems he would have an opinion on this, since Harrell's are about 3 times more animated.

Originally posted by .S&C.:
I said at the start of the season that Harrell is no all American. Not even an ACC all American. I was ripped by this board for that prediction.

Louisville is what I said they were. A fringe top 25 team and it's starting to show. Harrell is the most overrated player I think I've ever seen. Kids got small game, he just expresses it in a big way.

I tend to agree. I've also thought Harrell was overrated. His stats both last year and this year show he can dominate against weaker/smaller competition but struggles against quality big men. His game translates horribly to the NBA, where ALL big men are going to be bigger than he is. He has a great motor and uses his athletic ability to its max, but he simply can't do too well against great big men. I feel bad for any team using a lottery pick on him and I bet Harrell will regret coming back for his junior year when all is said and done.

This post was edited on 1/20 12:23 PM by sefus12

Originally posted by Patrickwhelan:
It is certainly NOT like Pitino to publicly downgrade a players value in order to lower his draft stock and force one more year out of said player.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

L1C7
He'll do the same thing with Rozier too after the season, just wait and see. He'll feed them and their parents a bunch of BS

to try and convince them to come back. It worked with Earl Clark, Russ Smith, and Harrell. Probably will with Rozier, too.

He knows they will be a borderline NIT team next year without him.

Originally posted by sefus12:

Originally posted by .S&C.:

I tend to agree. I've also thought Harrell was overrated. His stats both last year and this year show he can dominate against weaker/smaller competition but struggles against quality big men. His game translates horribly to the NBA, where ALL big men are going to be bigger than he is. He has a great motor and uses his athletic ability to its max, but he simply can't do too well against great big men. I feel bad for any team using a lottery pick on him and I bet Harrell will regret coming back for his junior year when all is said and done.

This post was edited on 1/20 12:23 PM by sefus12
Think Josh Smith. T Jones is a bigger version of Harrell with more skill and he struggles to cover the big 4s in the western conference. How does MH match up against Aldridge and Griffin. He doesn't. MH's game stinks for the pace and space strategy of the NBA. While Cal forced Patterson to learn to face, RP has kept MH off the ball solely as a finisher near the basket. Cue Bo Diddley with a chorus of "Who do you Love".

Harrell's decline and fall from grace...will be reflected in the NBA draft. He'll fall like a bag of dirt, further reinforcing why L1C4 is nothing more than a "Pitino First" program. Their program is in a death spiral with recruiting and the lack thereof under Pitino. Why would anyone send a 5star player there?

Originally posted by tmuck:
It is certainly NOT like Pitino to publicly downgrade a players value in order to lower his draft stock and force one more year out of said player.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

L1C7
He'll do the same thing with Rozier too after the season, just wait and see. He'll feed them and their parents a bunch of BS

to try and convince them to come back. It worked with Earl Clark, Russ Smith, and Harrell. Probably will with Rozier, too.

I agree with this...

Pitino is just putting things into motion to affect these kid's draft status in a negative way.

That's really a damned shame too because Pitino is FILTHY rich and these kids have nothing.

Harrell should have came out last year...

Oh well, L1C4

Originally posted by stenchymouse:

Originally posted by tmuck:
rolleyes.r191677.gif

L1C7

I agree with this...

Pitino is just putting things into motion to affect these kid's draft status in a negative way.

That's really a damned shame too because Pitino is FILTHY rich and these kids have nothing.

Harrell should have came out last year...

Oh well, L1C7
FIFY

Originally posted by Seth C:
PS - Montrezyzl, you should have entered the draft last year instead of putting your faith in someone who will never show you any loyalty.
Now he is Montfizzle.

I've been squarely in the Harrell and Rozier will be coerced by Pitino to return for another season camp once I recognized how little UofL had returning and coming in to replace them, Jones and Blackshear.

As much as it irritates me that the local media along with his cheerleaders in the national media actually pimp his obvious BS as it being a good choice for those players, I don't really mind it.

Reason being is that his constant manipulation of kids like Russ Smith, Harrell, etc. only works against him when trying to land ELITE guys who have no desire to voluntarily take the slow track to the NBA.

His selfishness only works to feed the narrative used by other coaches who recruit against Pitino for big time recruits. Keep it up Rick. It just makes it that much easier for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT