ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was before my college time, but I bet 96 vs Arkansas at home should be up there with loudest games in the buildings history. Any GYEROers that were there?

All of the UK/ARKANSAS games in that era were insane. I was at UK 92-96 and saw them come into Rupp a few times. Saw them beat us, i think it was 92-93 which was one of the best games I’ve ever seen live. Nolan strutting around in his cowboy boots, Corlis, Scotty Thurman, Alex Dillard, hated them all with a passion.

It was before my college time, but I bet 96 vs Arkansas at home should be up there with loudest games in the buildings history. Any GYEROers that were there?
I was there. KY beat them pretty good (like about everyone else they played that year). Great atmosphere but would not put it up there for being one of the loudest ever.

Reactions: wildcatadam6
I haven't posted on Rupp's Rafters, let alone a GYERO thread, in almost two decades. Almost.

I know it's greater than one decade, less than two. Hell, this is just an account I could figure out how to log in, tbh.

Anyway, the vast majority of you here in GYERO are still asinine morons. Entertaining morons. Lovable morons. But morons, nonetheless, and I've loved reading it all.

Not much has changed there from what I can remember, you were kind of always a bunch of bickering dicks, dickering clicks. But funny. Anyway.

I guess what I'm getting at is that this is the highest level of fan engagement for UK Men's Basketball I've seen in *years.* I've read the posts here with you old salts talking "hey, I haven't seen you post in blah blah ever!" I've seen and felt the excitement here. It's real. It's genuine. It's exciting. And it's not just here.

I'm glad to be able to feel a bit of the engagement I used to feel back in the day.

We all lost that. ALL OF US. No matter the details. It's good to feel it again.

All of the UK/ARKANSAS games in that era were insane. I was at UK 92-96 and saw them come into Rupp a few times. Saw them beat us, i think it was 92-93 which was one of the best games I’ve ever seen live. Nolan strutting around in his cowboy boots, Corlis, Scotty Thurman, Alex Dillard, hated them all with a passion.
The 90's Arkansas/UK games with Richardson and Rick were always must watch. The pace, the execution, the hype. So much fun.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
I was there. KY beat them pretty good (like about everyone else they played that year). Great atmosphere but would not put it up there for being one of the loudest ever.
If I remember correctly we won that one by fifteen but we were ahead by more.

Ha! 88-73. Feels good to have had that one in the memory bank. That was the season that locked me in as a lifelong fan, for obvious reasons.

Adam, how is that vid? Worth the hr watch?
I started in 94 so those yrs were in my wheelhouse.

Reactions: jayroon
Cameron Mills quotes from Tucker's latest on The Athletic:

"Sometimes a great coach just needs the great resources, the great fans, the great tradition of a great program to become a Hall of Fame coach,” Mills said. “I get the people who are questioning the hire, but in a few weeks, in a few months, when they see who he is, he’ll start winning over the doubters pretty quickly. Because this is the guy who outworked everybody, who out-studied everybody, whether we’re talking scouting reports or school. This isn’t the guy you run through a brick wall for; this is the guy you follow after he’s already run through the brick wall for you. He’s the Kool-Aid Man.”

Really not excited about this UK Civil War. But whatever, backs against the wall.

The guy hasn’t even been able to address the media, fans, hire a staff, contact barely any recruits, do anything. I know we live in an immediate gratification instant hot take age but we just need to give it some time. As long as he’s passionate about UK and plays a fun style of basketball that maximizes players he’ll have 95% of the fan base on board by January no matter wins/losses. Now will we lose support of the Ashton Haggins and Chris Livingstons and Shaedon Sharps along the way? Maybe, but who gives a shit.

Right, I just mean among the ex-players. It's frustrating that they are speaking out the way they are and showing their ignorance but oh well.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
Right, I just mean among the ex-players. It's frustrating that they are speaking out the way they are and showing their ignorance but oh well.

It’s actually been pretty eye opening for me, explains why everyone ran out of here first chance they got - Dakari Johnson, Wenyen Gabriel, Issac Humphries, (I could list 25 more guys here). All players that could’ve been great traditional pieces and helped us win that left just to leave UK as quick as possible. The hardest thing to do is grow a traditional program over the course of multiple decades and cal basically seems to have used that for 5% of his pitch which is bewildering. The funny thing is some of my favorite players under Cal that contributed the most to his early success DID come for the program - Darius Miller, Dominique Hawkins, Liggins, Patterson, Harrelson, Reed Sheppard, etc.

We all knew it but it explains the absolute awful culture around our program especially the last 5 years. Not about team or program, just individual goals and the next step. Thanks for the memories Cal, but time for all to move on.

Last edited:
Shoot this one into the sun.
y2zn1A.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT