ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Almost seems like that pic is a photo shopped meme of L's down. Crazy

-Pope will get at least one championship as a coach. Par for course all you have to do is stay sober and we will give you one.

- Is Rick really that great of a bench coach? Cal and Rick both had the unquestionable best teams in the nation when they won. Rick winning one at another school raises him above Cal.

-Can Pope win without having to have the hands down best team in the Nation? Tubby did it but that team was built on winning before him.

-Pope can be on another level if he can win 2 titles.

-With Pope we won't have to worry about humility, work ethic, or sobriety.

Reactions: m080470
Pitino taking Providence to a F4, some of those early UK teams to the records and/or as far as he did, and most of his UL teams as far as he did would suggest that yes he is a fantastic bench coach.

Has he made mistakes? Yes several actually, but so have all the greats!

Kudos to Matt. That was a solid interview, respectful with some hard questions thrown in there.
Interesting that he said he had signed with Michigan initially but ultimately took the Louisville job because his wife said he should because he knew the state and people here better.

I think Pitino thought all the UK fans were Pitino fans and would support him wherever he went. He severely misread what our fans thought about uofl.

Pitino taking Providence to a F4, some of those early UK teams to the records and/or as far as he did, and most of his UL teams as far as he did would suggest that yes he is a fantastic bench coach.

Has he made mistakes? Yes several actually, but so have all the greats!
The job he did with his first team/year here was a good indication of how good of a bench coach he was.

The job he did with his first team/year here was a good indication of how good of a bench coach he was.

Yeah he had some games he had no business winning that's for sure. I just hope that Mark can get multiple championships and surpass them all excluding Rupp. He passes Rupp you can go ahead name the whole damn city after him.

I always felt his bench coaching was was where he was weakest. Game preparation and molding his team physically and mentally into an instrument of fear and dominance, there has never been anyone better but if he didn't overwhelm you early on and the opposing team could absorb those runs, that's when we struggled. He was 1-6 in overtime games when he was here.

• Haha
Reactions: jayroon
I can think of 4 major overtime games where our best player was fouled out, and two of those games we also had other starters fouled out too.

The 1 win was Brassow? That can’t be his only OT win here.

The Brassow game wasn't an overtime game. Three big ones in the tournament, Duke, Michigan, and Arizona. We had the one win against Arkansas in the '95 SEC. I don't remember the other three.

The Brassow game wasn't an overtime game. Three big ones in the tournament, Duke, Michigan, and Arizona. We had the one win against Arkansas in the '95 SEC. I don't remember the other three.
We shouldn't have been within 10 points of that Duke team. Mash "fouled" out on a BS call and we didn't have him for OT. And the coaching job he did to get us to the title game in 1997 after DA (who was a POY candidate) went down was amazing.

Lurked for years and incessantly have read every single word of every post for well over 10 years (partly due to OCD I’d venture to guess) so have always been a big fan of this thread.

Trilly is a good source but there are some other newer UK sports ventures I’ve found really useful recently too (and IMO are better than HOB and KSR+).

Have some friends who have worked in local sports media and have a booster that’s a good friend. They helped me find out stuff before the general public knew like Cal leaving/Kanter news, etc.

I chose to post that stuff here out of respect/admiration for/of you guys and I think this is a great medium for intelligent UK sports discussion (which is hard to find). I don’t regularly post anywhere.
We welcome it, keep rolling. 😎👊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT