ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

This could be good news on the Wilson/Cenac front or he wasn’t interested in being a backup plan.

Last edited:
All of those guy, except Bledsoe, also played more than 1 year which is the normal progression. If any of them had left after their freshman year they would be viewed differently.
I think Cal’s first class put a lot of unrealistic expectations and pressure on Cal and with him putting together future recruiting classes. Those weren’t normal freshman and Cal chased his own tail trying to replicate it every year when it wasn’t possible.

He created a monster unknowingly and then fans had some unrealistic expectations with some freshman as did those players as well who thought if they came here they’d be one and done guaranteed.

Then if they failed to meet the expectations, unfortunately a big chunk of them they still left early although they shouldn’t have or transferred. Part of this cycle caused many guys to leave as they felt they were being recruited over by Cal’s next class.

For those guys I listed, regardless of what year it happened for them, ended up exceeding expectations.

Niko is overrated.
If you miss on Cenac/Wilson (which could very well happen), you could still possibly have Miika possibly as a back up option. And no need to freak out if you miss both because the portal can come to the rescue.

It's really impressive to me how Pope is already doing with next year's class even before he's had a game played here yet. I thought it would take more time for next year's class to come together with recruits wanting to see us in games first.

If you miss on Cenac/Wilson (which could very well happen), you could still possibly have Miika possibly as a back up option. And no need to freak out if you miss both because the portal can come to the rescue.

It's really impressive to me how Pope is already doing with next year's class even before he's had a game played here yet. I thought it would take more time for next year's class to come together with recruits wanting to see us in games first.
After reading a bit more on this, apparently Niko is a headcase who's likely to end up at KU (fitting) and Pope is trying to get both Wilson and Cenac. Doubt it will happen but he's selling them on playing together.

All of those guy, except Bledsoe, also played more than 1 year which is the normal progression. If any of them had left after their freshman year they would be viewed differently.
Yeah I was meaning freshmen only.

I expected Bledsoe to be pretty good. And a lot of others.

I didn’t expect SGA to progress like he did even with whispers of “this guy is being overlooked” and I don’t think anyone with a straight face, including Reed and his parents, could have predicted how effective he was as a freshman. I expected a bench contributor 6/2/2 type thing. Reed is almost hard to explain.

Who is on the Mount Rushmore of gentlemen from UK Basketball? Tubby is a leadpipe lock. So are Goose and Joe. B. What about Cawood?

Turpin is the #1 player in this category. There wasn't a sweeter, kinder, soul that ever wore that jersey. I went to HS with him at Station, and he was the gentle giant from day 1 on the court. For someone who literally came from nothing, and overcame many obstacles, he fought as hard as he could and thanked everyone along the way.

That 18 team is the one that broke me and led to my (in)famous “American Pickers” comment. They were awful fundamentally and just plain hard to watch. That group was also the first one that really had no business leaving early. And speaking of Knox, other than the WV game he pretty much sucked ass too. I hated that team.
Agree. He played in 37 games. Scored double figures in 30 of them. Just a FEW below :
20/7 vs Kansas
25 on 9/9 shooting from 2FG vs UIC
21 v/s Virginia Tech
17/10 vs ETSU
20/7 vs Harvard
16/11 @ LSU
21/8 @ SC
18/8 @ Vandy
19/5 @ Auburn
23/7 @ Arkansas
22 vs Ole Miss
21 vs Mizzou
15/9 vs Georgia SECT
18/7 vs UT SECT
25/6 vs Davidson NCAA
13/8 vs K-State NCAA

51% shooting from 2FG / 25% from 3FG / 77% FT shooter. 1st Team all SEC, SEC freshman of the year, 1st Team SEC Tournament team. 6th in the SEC defensive rebounding (as a Freshman). I mean he didn't score 34 every game like he did vs WVU, but he DID NOT suck in every game other than the WVU game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT