ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

A new era and a new GYERO. I am here for both.

Not much to say that hasn't been said already, but wow this reminds me of good UK times!!!

Pope has absolutely hit it out of the park so far. Was not sure he would seem so perfect for the job.

And shout out to Matt J. He moves the needle and the Rupp crowd showed him yesterday.

LFG!!!!!

Thoughts?
There's many, but one of the big ones was the constant roster turnover and lack of continuity. From the jump that was a turn-off to Cal's system. It was the exact opposite of the type of Kentucky basketball we all grew up on - seeing players develop, become household names and endear themselves to the fine folks of the Commonwealth.

However, up until 2015, you accepted that as part of the bargain to have teams that constantly knocked on the Final Four door and (sadly) only once, cut the nets.

But each year after '15, it was clear UK and BBN took a backseat to aspirations of the coach and players. Roster movement was more volatile and guys who definitely should have come back were bolting, many times in the waning Calipari years, not for 1st round money, but for G-League or worse - playing / excelling elsewhere in a system that knew how to use them.

The deal between Cal and UK was one-sided for too long and it was exhausting. Huge weight lifted off the faithful's shoulders and thus, the outpouring of emotions yesterday.

Just further proof that Rick Pitino is the MF'ing master at this. He gets a tiny sliver of daylight and steps right in. Meanwhile, Cal is like the ex wife that now lives in a trailer, has a meth habit, and you just saw her mugshot posted online. All that has happened in 3 days time.

💯 , Bonzo. At first we accepted it, as the results justified the mess for a few years.

At end of Cal's first season I knew we'd lose a few guys but it felt like we ended up having to rebuild almost the entire roster. Mass exodus. I'd never seen anything like it, and it was unsettling. That was just s.o.p., except for 2014.

To his credit, he was able to reload the first few years, but no way that could be sustainable, and it wasn't.

I remember driving back from Indy late night on Easter Eve, 2015, with the horrible feeling we'd never have the same golden opportunity that Cal just choked away. And that was it. The Cal Era peaked with about 5 minutes left in the Wisconsin game.

I'd have thought Mr. Cutting Edge would eventually adapt, but he never did.

So, I agree with Bonz and anth. Since about 2017, all we've been able to do is cope and try to be positive. I don't think any of us realized just how much cognitive dissonance we've had to stuff away, and how many traditional UK basketball values we've had to sacrifice, to put up with all the bs.

Now, we're finally free.

I have similar thoughts on Mitch. Either he is a genius who masterminded this entire thing or he is the luckiest sonofabitch ever that we reacted like this. Probably somewhere in between, but leaning towards more of the latter.
I'm with you. I'd like to think he knew just what the BBN needed and played it to perfection. But most likely he ish down his leg after Drew/Hurley, slid in it and while scrambling to get back up fell into a pot of gold.

Enjoyable trip back home....

Keeneland wasn't the best of weather days Friday but being inside was nice... Took the little one for her first time- she was in awe. Loved seeing the horses. She was born on 2/2/22, so on every race i throw $2 across the board just for sentimental sake. Took her to the window with me so she could place the bet with the teller- horses come in to win, and I looked over to see her chewing on a half-torn betting slip. Live and learn. Nice to see some of you guys out there, albeit briefly.

Got to see The Bonz play the drums friday night- they crushed. Cool seeing him let it rip on stage. Was able to catch up with his dad a bit which is always a highlight.

Not much more to say about the new hire and opening presser. Excited about whats to come with the football and basketball programs. Mitch starting off firing from the podium was like he'd just f'ing had enough over the last few years. Time will tell on wins and losses- but nothing will take away that scene from yesterday. Jealous of you guys that went.

Left Louisville after the Masters and pulled into the driveway just after 11 last night. That may be the play going forward for Sunday night trips now. Everyone else dozed off, i ate a bag of sunflower seeds and felt like we made better timing that any other circumstance.

Scheffler- yeesh. Each time someone made a slight push, he just waited them out until they all fell backwards. Steady, methodical, even not at his best. Not sure how Valhalla sets up after the changes but tough to see him not being the favorite- unless his kids arrival interrupts his playing schedule.

I haven't followed who we are bringing in to the MBB team in years- but that switch is turned back on... mixtapes are back.

It was 20 years between the 58 and 78 titles

It was 18 years between the 78 and 96 titles

It was 14 years between the 98 and 2012 titles.

We are on year 12 since the last title.

So, does UK get one by year 14, 18, or 20?

Bottom line to me is Cal had a history of losing games most of us know he should not have lost. Whether that be home games, SEC tourney games, or March Madness games. Not gonna do the research, but I can almost guarantee he lost more games to higher seeded SEC and NCAA teams than he beat lower seeded ones.

And last but not least, when you see a lack of adjustments costing you winnable games, no matter how much talent you have on the floor, it simply became too exhausting for fans that know the game. I don't know any sport that you are 100% guaranteed a good result by having a game plan and never having to adjust.

With that said, Thanks Cal for all you did.
Now the Pope Era begins and I am more excited than I have been in a long time.
And seems like I'm not the only one.

Reactions: jayroon and NW50
Was great seeing all of the former players there in support. Even Rex (glad he wasn’t mentioned by name as Pope rattled importance of jnstate kids). Pope is a conduit to all those guys’ accomplishments and sacrifices…. And, reestablishing their proper place at the table of history.

The Shaedon Sharpe fiasco was the antithesis of everything the program ever stood for.

The pendulum had swung too far in the “one-and-done/players first” direction, imo. Plus, with the landscape of CBB changing - and I am including these younger coaches being analytically inclined in this - Cal seemed a little lost, tbh. The questions on the exam have changed and he hasn’t reacted accordingly.

As far as Mitch goes, I think he really wanted Drew, but I guess God gave the two of them conflicting messages. Getting Hurley seems ridiculous, in hindsight. Oats said he wasn’t interested immediately. I don’t know what the deal was with Donovan, but Mitch had been burned twice by him. If he didn’t want to wait, I kind of get it. So that left him with a group of candidates with baggage (Beard, Pearl, Miller) or take a big swing on a guy who checks a lot of the boxes UK fans were looking for (analytical approach, fun offense, understanding of NIL, an appreciation for what Kentucky is, etc.) even if others aren’t there (high-level recruiting, tournament success). It’s a massive gamble, to be sure. I hope it works.

Was great seeing all of the former players there in support. Even Rex (glad he wasn’t mentioned by name as Pope rattled importance of jnstate kids). Pope is a conduit to all those guys’ accomplishments and sacrifices…. And, reestablishing their proper place at the table of history.

The Shaedon Sharpe fiasco was the antithesis of everything the program ever stood for.
Sat between Wayne Turner and Perry Stevenson. Perry seemed to be annoyed by Luke constantly dropping legos under his chair.

6 pages in and GYERO snobs and entitled already setting the expectations.
It was actually 1 page in, bubby.

Again, if you feel compelled to post, consolidate your thoughts and don't effing suck. I know it's difficult considering you probably don't know or remember how shit used to be on here but traffic has picked up and some old posters are returning - we don't need randos flooding the thread.

When Pope was mentioned I saw a picture of a tall balding white Mormon that was in medical school. I assumed him to be either soft spoken or on the quiet side, maybe a little goofy and nerdy, and would be suffocated by the BBN. Then, for the first time, I saw him speak yesterday and listened to a guy that was as charismatic as Calipari but more genuine and intelligent that didn’t even look like he was the least bit nervous and, like everyone else, fell in love. I mean no wonder Mitch hired him after interviewing. Drew, Oats, even Hurley’s personalities are significantly worse. After reading about his offense I just don’t see how you can’t be excited.

There's many, but one of the big ones was the constant roster turnover and lack of continuity. From the jump that was a turn-off to Cal's system. It was the exact opposite of the type of Kentucky basketball we all grew up on - seeing players develop, become household names and endear themselves to the fine folks of the Commonwealth.

However, up until 2015, you accepted that as part of the bargain to have teams that constantly knocked on the Final Four door and (sadly) only once, cut the nets.

But each year after '15, it was clear UK and BBN took a backseat to aspirations of the coach and players. Roster movement was more volatile and guys who definitely should have come back were bolting, many times in the waning Calipari years, not for 1st round money, but for G-League or worse - playing / excelling elsewhere in a system that knew how to use them.

The deal between Cal and UK was one-sided for too long and it was exhausting. Huge weight lifted off the faithful's shoulders and thus, the outpouring of emotions yesterday.
It was the lack of reverence for the seat, jersey, program and fanbase...we felt it, even those who defended Cal to the bitter end knew it was true.

*My complaints about roster construction/system are well documented, games are won and lost on the margins and Cal had gotten so lazy and stubborn that those margins were costing us seed lines and games in March. The talent couldn't outweigh the poor management.

*Stuff like Sharpe sitting out and the mockery that the Wheeler senior night was just showed zero appreciation for the privilege of playing here...I think it was prevalent early in Cal's tenure and just eroded over time.

*Distain for the fanbase from Cal was absolutely a thing and I think there is something to Wayne's dad's Brad theory. When the fanbase poked fun at Brad (he brought it on himself) and then the daughters started sparring with BBN online I think Cal's attitude towards the fans changed. He started a cold war that festered for years.

Moving on, I couldn't be more excited and BBN showed out yesterday. I was bullish on the hire from the start and I believe he will succeed here...Pope is essentially the antithesis of the above.

there really is no relevant college basketball comparison to make to the Mark Pope hire. I see lames trying to compare it to Juwuan Howard/Kenny Payne/Matt Doherty/Patrick Ewing. I just don’t think any of those work. Even HERBERT and Scheyer aren’t the same, although Scheyer is probably the closest. He seems like he has the intelligence factor that Pope has. Or maybe it’s the glasses. Idk.

But it just feels like it would take a total systems failure for this to not be successful. The dude has the drive, the resources (NIL), the X&O’s. He also has incredible swagger and passion for the program. Keep a couple of the dudes from last year (Z/Adou/Onyenso) and sprinkle in some transfers and let’s see if we can’t make it to the second weekend.

I took 2 of my kids last night. My 12yo son and 10yo daughter. My son is definitely into Kentucky basketball. Has followed it for several years now. But yesterday changed him. He hasn’t seen the faithful like THAT. It’s been said it was like a revival and it was. His entire life all he’d known was OAD, early tourney flameouts. Disappointing seasons. He thanked me for taking him over and over up until bedtime. Was really cool seeing him get that baptism.

My daughter had a blast as well. She has zero idea what’s happening, doesn’t follow basketball at all. Asked me several times who people were, what the words to the chants were, etc. but she joined in all of them. Looking forward to enjoying the real BBN experience w my kids for really the first time in their lives.

My screen time the past week has been atrocious, and I should probably put the phone down some. But you don’t get many weeks like this. Idk how this will all turn out, but I’m excited. And that’s more than I could’ve said in a long time.

Fellas, it’s time for a snus.

Oh, and it’s pretty obvious pope is a giant UK basketball fan. Someone on KSR said somebody must’ve given him notes on hot button topics to hit on (SECT/defensive strategies/wearing the jersey) but I think those are all just things Pope has been texting about w his ‘96 boys. He was just saying what we’ve all been saying bc he loves the program like we do. Hell he might even read GYERO

-Man, when they dropped Sirius as the '96 team got off the bus. Lawdy. I'd be happy if that was our intro forever.

-The 90's era is so crucial to the program, and they've kinda been cast aside for the last 15 years, but it's their time to move us forward. Just as guys like Goose and Pratt have in the past. Pretty good group to do it and should be able to really fire up boosters and the 35+ fan base.

-🤬 @ people wanting to keep Antigua. No. Hell no. I loved the first version of O. Still like the guy. But I don't want a failed HC from Cal's tree on our bench. We've had plenty of that shit. Fresh start.

-Maui, gonna need that to be in '26.

-Scotty Sheffler is just machine. If he could putt, this would be a Tiger like run. Pretty close anyway. Aberg is gonna be a star.

-19nine has a really opportunity to clean up with the 90's throwback.

-Saw Larry F*cking Redmon perform this weekend. He was fantastic. I didn't miss the sticky carpet. Also, I do not care to be in a bar after dark. Just not my thing.

-UFC was AMAZING. Didn't want to stay up to watch it after the week of sleep I had but glad we did. The BMF fight was unreal.

-This weather. Worship. Yesterday was unbelievable.

-Lost in all this is the Bat Cats run. Up to #3 after another series sweep.

-Red legs rolling too. LFG.

Are we just gonna act like the Spring Game didn’t happen? If not then fine by me. Let the other Mark fly under the radar for a little bit.

I'm still trying to reconcile the whole situation. Honestly, BBN filing Rupp for a press conference is the least surprising thing to happen. As soon as Matt told BBN to show up, I thought, "Man, they may want to have this at Commonwealth Stadium." Doesn't take BBN much convincing to buy in.

Last week was an emotional rollercoaster, complete with sleep depravation, coming off 5(?)+ years of anguish. I still feel like the search was probably handled wrong and Pope was a reactionary hire. It's just pretty wild where most of us were at 9p on Thursday to where we were yesterday at 4:30pm with grown men sobbing like toddlers. Was it Mitch's intent or did he accidentally stumble into it? Mitch owes Pitino big time, that video seems to have really turned the tide. I said some things I probably regret but I also don't feel like I'm wrong about them. I just hope it works out with Pope, we haven't had one of ours at the helm in most of our lifetime.

Still not sure I understand how everything unfolded other than I think the mental toll of the last 5-10 years was much deeper than any of us cared to acknowledge. Thoughts?
I think many of us got more healing yesterday than we knew we needed.

^The spring *game* didn’t actually happen.

-Gotta go get some dudes now

So we must be adding a couple of these BYU guys right? Would love to have Jaxson/Hall

Mashburn Jr. Any new smoke with him? UK, UL, Miami..

How about the 4 star BYU recruit who had to go pray for two years and is now back and eligible

Thiero and Z 🙏

there really is no relevant college basketball comparison to make to the Mark Pope hire. I see lames trying to compare it to Juwuan Howard/Kenny Payne/Matt Doherty/Patrick Ewing. I just don’t think any of those work. Even HERBERT and Scheyer aren’t the same, although Scheyer is probably the closest. He seems like he has the intelligence factor that Pope has. Or maybe it’s the glasses. Idk.
The only one of those you mentioned who (like Pope) had been a head coach before was Doherty. But he had only 1 year of head coaching experience, where Pope has paid his dues and built a nice resume.

I do think there is some comparison to be made between the Kenny Payne press conference with all of the 80s U of L guys there on stage with him and what we saw yesterday with the 96 team. All of that nostalgia and good feelings goes away real fast when you start losing.

May have wept.

It's all been said, but man what an incredible thing. I almost feel ashamed that I didn't even really realize this feeling was missing. It was there for the beginning of Cal's era, but had just slowly eroded away, post Wisky.

Gridiron Cats have several studs and several question marks. Front 7 are loaded, but I have almost no faith in Brad White. The overly conservative thing has been exposed, especially in the backfield. We've been cranking out NFL DBs while getting worked by every QB with a pulse. Scheme is an issue.

WRs and TEs should be good to great. QB, RB, OL and OC all major question marks, but potential is there. Can't really get into football at the moment, though.

This is going to feel like to longest BB offseason ever. Elly and the Rally Reds will keep me afloat.

Bat cats are absolutely killing. Strong argument for #1. 14-1 in the SEC? Crazy.

With Cal it was two big things- 1) Losing and 2) Culture- and a million little things that contributed to the two big things:

-Being weird about injuries.
-Being weird about lineups.
-Being weird about Klutch.
-Being weird about threepointers.
-Being weird about his boss.
-Being weird with boosters/NIL.
-Being weird about BBN.
-Being weird about Shaedon Sharpe.
-Being weird about out-of-bounds plays.
-Playing tight in March.
-Choosing to make a political statement in a rural state during our worst season in 100 years.
-Going oppo when it comes to analytics.
-Losing lotto guys is one thing but continually losing non-draftees was weird.
Etc
Etc.

I mean I’ve had friends who were done with Cal 5 years ago. Many in here.

BBN had it.

-UFC was AMAZING. Didn't want to stay up to watch it after the week of sleep I had but glad we did. The BMF fight was unreal

~ Max was a real one for just swinging with 10 seconds left and essentially a 4-1 or 5-0 score guaranteed (apparently someone had it 2-2 going into the 5th which is a crock of shit). I doubt there will be back to back iconic moments like Max pointing to the floor and Poatan waving off Herb Dean after the cup check then immediately sending Hill into orbit in the near future. Unbelievable card from the jump.

~ The Cal news from last Sunday to the presser yesterday was the equivalent of a first child IMO. Time flew by but it also felt like it took a decade to get here. A long week and I'm glad it's ending on a high note.

~ As I said in the previous GYERO, I just feel like the relationship between us and Cal had a dynamic that shifted due to effort. Early on, Cal pulled us out of the malaise of BCG by racking up recruiting classes and making historic runs in the tournament. After Wisconsin, it seems like he was leaning on us to continue to support a sinking ship. We took a little too much and he did too.

~ It likely will be similar to Pitino but I can see Cal making a return to our good graces. He understands his legacy and how he wants to be viewed. Hell, I'm sure he was just as shocked as we were when he found out the door to UK had closed. He just needs to be careful with his former players and things will die down, eventually. Speaking of former players, Kyle hit it on the head. Love your coach and your university. The guys know UK and BBN are an endless stream of love and adulation, no need to burn any bridges along the way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT