ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good lord. Go back and look at Pope's recruiting classes at BYU. They are really mediocre. I mean, they make Tubby's recruiting look world class. I say this only to make this point: How did he do as well as he did with that recruiting base? One four star in four years, and zero signees one year. This guy can CLEARLY coach his ****ing ass off.
Basically limited to recruiting white virgins.

503c217e-966b-462e-a386-9232fd754966-1020x612.jpeg

Mark Pope arriving to Rupp on Sunday, probably

Good lord. Go back and look at Pope's recruiting classes at BYU. They are really mediocre. I mean, they make Tubby's recruiting look world class. I say this only to make this point: How did he do as well as he did with that recruiting base? One four star in four years, and zero signees one year. This guy can CLEARLY coach his ****ing ass off.
I believe the 4 star he got that you mentioned been on a mission trip too but is back now.

Last edited:
We didn't hire an all time great in a hasty manner to bury a pretty disturbing sexual assault article, did we? Because... it is impeccable ****ing timing.
There is ZERO chance Mitch didn’t know it was coming down the pipe. He was definitely aware it was going to be filed.

Also, possibly why he was down to let Cal stay another year and make friends on camera. Maybe Cal got wind of it and that’s why he tried to use Arkansas against us.

Even before we knew this part Matt said everything has been really weird with this.

I don’t think the hire was to bury the story, necessarily. But the hire was probably rushed so the story wasn’t hanging over the search. No coach is stepping into the brightest spotlight next to an AD in the middle of a sexual harassment suit.

It’s February 2015 - UK is undefeated, having beaten Auburn’s brains in 110-75. In the midst of the postgame celebration, I take you aside, buy you a beer, look you dead in the eyes and tell you in 9 years, Kentucky will run Cal out of town and hire Mark Pope as our coach.
And on the day Mark Pope was hired, Mitch effin' Barnhart was named as a defendant in a federal sexual misconduct action...

I mean what were the odds of that? One trillion to one? (And I'm talking just about Mitch being named in a sexual misconduct suit alone, not the rest of the stuff.)

Obviously it all will come down to whether Pope can win big and win when it matters, but aside from the obvious talking points (name on the front of the jersey, Klutch, NBA, listening to Cal’s bullshit, etc), here are some things I’m looking forward to:

- Not start every November off slow with some embarrassing inexplicable loss. This is high for me. I love early season college basketball and Cal routinely has me avoiding all college basketball talk until mid-December because I’m so pissed off.

- Imagine we’ll start back with the preseason tournaments.

- Improvement of my relationship with BBdK.

- Crisp creative offense.

- Recruiting to system as opposed to just signing dudes and figuring it out.

- Embrace of the SEC Tournament as a Mardi Gras for BBN before the pressure, stress and rigor of the Dance.

- A positive attitude from a coach that loves BBN.

- Ingame adjustments and strategy.

- Players actually watching film of opponent.

- Recruits not taking about leaving before they even get to campus.

- Mending some Pitino era wounds.

Imagine seeing a guy develop from year to year and actually seem like he enjoys being a Kentucky basketball player.
Maybe this is the bedrock thing. Calipari made it expressly clear that he regarded UK as a mere stepping stone for his players and, ultimately, him.

Mark Pope may not have been as overwhelmingly qualified as we might have wanted for our new coach but I cannot foresee a situation where he fails to make Kentucky a fun destination where everyone wants to stay as long as possible.

That article seems like total bullshit to me.
I was pretty tipsy reading it but it seemed poorly written. However, it's 4(I think) separate rape allegations that all sound remarkably similar. That dude is toast. Now, to what degree Mitch or UK dropped the ball is another thing. But if they brushed it off and he raped someone after being notified.. not good.

I’m going to be the contrarian and say I expect Kevin Ollie at UConn here. And that could be fine. I’ll take 4-5 years of 11-15 losses with one inexplicable NC.

Being able to recoup/recharge in the summer instead of worrying about who’s going to show up to campus ready, the latest Cal BS, etc. is going to help a lot. Along with having seasons progress in a normal fashion without the wild, unpredictable swings

The 24/7 365 pins and needles of the Cal era has been relentless. We’ve had about 30 years of fan stress crammed into 15 seasons

For me it’s just the fact that I plan to watch and see an actual strategy that resembles basketball and trying to capatilize on whatever strengths we have vs their weakness, and how to stop them from crushing our weaknesses with strategies that push them elsewhere.

Thats all coaching and we had NONE of that since Cal has been here. Just talent and ALOT of it.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that he just got lazy with it. When early returns weren't looking good for the Brandon Knight led team, he started incorporating a two man game with Josh Harrelson which carried us to a final 4. He actually made defensive adjustments during our championship season (he also had the 2 best defenders in the country that year). While not the greatest X's and O's guy, he had a strong staff early on that helped him, and we saw what having Welch did for us this year.

He was capable of adapting the system to his guys but I think he finally got to the point where the "he just rolls the ball out there" guys were correct.

The bottom line is this: I feel hope and excitement for the upcoming basketball season. Knowing full well that it could be a rocky one. But I'm like a kid, waiting to unwrap a Christmas present. I haven't felt this way about UK BBall in a VERY long time...

Last edited:
Imagine having a non single digit graduation rate finally? And players not treating Lexington as a 7 month blip on their NBA radar?

Imagine building a locker room , growing a culture, developing talent, instilling a system and getting buy in for it?

And agents and handlers not throwing tantrums about touches and usage rate?

And players not either trying to 1 and done and going undrafted because in the famous words of Curtis Jackson damn homie in high school you was the man homie what the f happened to you?

Mark Pope played on teams that won titles and put guys in the NBA as team players and not me first prima Donnas.

Dan Hurley’s system and his players having extreme NCAA success, including in March, but also limited NBA success so far proves that this can be a thing here now too and Mark Pope seems like the right guy to coach a winning brand of team first college basketball that emphasizes threes and cutting and screen and roll at levels closer to NBA usage than most college programs currently.

I was ****ing envious watching Purdue getting an opportunity to develop a guy like Edey, him stay four years, get his needs taken care of on and off the court, and watching teams shake with fear knowing they had to play him.

Kentucky is the ultimate place for college basketball players to do what is best for their careers. Calipari has proven he can get 5 stars, but it’s been a lot of years since he’s been able to do anything with them other than prove 2003 Syracuse and 2012 Kentucky were the exception not the rule when it comes to freshmen carrying you to a title.

I’m excited to watch actual college basketball and not an NBA farm team reality tv show.

Last edited:
I was pretty tipsy reading it but it seemed poorly written. However, it's 4(I think) separate rape allegations that all sound remarkably similar. That dude is toast. Now, to what degree Mitch or UK dropped the ball is another thing. But if they brushed it off and he raped someone after being notified.. not good.
The rape allegations have a similar pattern. Woman gets raped at his party, then she starts working for him for several years and gets “violently” raped several times again - but never notifies authorities. But the only tie into Mitch is that some coach at Toledo allegedly told him via email that he used to sleep with one of the players.

By the way, that same coach from Toledo said he had video evidence of the coach having sex with an incapacitated swimmer. But instead of notifying the authorities, he just sent a couple emails to Kentucky just stating that the coach had slept with a swimmer.

As the father of daughters, I’m tired of this bullshit. In no circumstance can the schools be expected to handle this. We have police and a justice system for a reason. This is not Penn St where kids are being assaulted. These are grown adults who are over the age of 22. If you are assaulted call the f’ing cops. If you witness a rape or hear about a rape, call the f’ing cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT