ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here think that Kenny Brooks could become the, “Most Interesting Man In The World”, if Dos Equis remade the character and wanted a DEI hire?

Dude seems smooth.

Reactions: roguemocha
-Saw pti’s IG post and got excited that he had recent neck tattoos but alas it was headphones only.

-Monkey Man was pretty terrible, as expected, just fyi.

-I hope it’s in the stars/storyline for Clark but I’ve never seen a way for them to beat USC, that team is really good.

Don't even know why we're going tomorrow. By the time I drop them off, i might as well turn around to walk in for the toddler, and then get posted in a whole school car line. I trust we'll have 50 more texts about the situation.
Seriously, just keep him home.

Reactions: Kennedy_UK
I may or may not be saying this because Spencer Strider is likely going to have to get Tommy John surgery, but I'm starting to wonder if a certain aspect of baseball is now broken and perhaps not fixable - and that's the elbow injury issue with pitchers.

Somewhere around 26% of current MLB pitchers have gotten Tommy John surgery - and that's starting to trend higher. Although the stupid ass players association says it has to do with the pitch clock, the likely culprit is the focus on max effort pitching and spin speed.

But the likelihood of injury is still infrequent enough where you're not running out of high-talent pitchers. And there's a ton of incentive for marginal guys to put a ton of pressure on their elbow to make the majors (e.g., you could pitch like everybody did 20 years ago and stay in the minors or destroy your elbow to play a few years in the majors).

And I don't see what you can do to fix the problem. Are you going to say you can't throw harder than 95? Are we just going to say we're fine with 1/3 of pitchers getting major reconstructive surgery on their arms?

I'm hoping the answer is that we figure out how the proper mechanics prevent this injury from occurring while also allowing top level pitching to occur, but I don't think that's possible.

Although the stupid ass players association says it has to do with the pitch clock, the likely culprit is the focus on max effort pitching and spin speed.

Agree... with an additional thought that the increase in injuries really heated up upon the elimination of the use of "sticky stuff" (spider tack, etc).

Remember when we were forced to wear masks during COVID to stop the spread, and when that didn't work, the answer was to mask even MORE than before? And when that still didn't work, we need to mask even more than that??

That's what's happening in baseball. The way to protect arms is to limit innings. And when a guy gets hurt, they just limit innings even more. And when that doesn't work, they limit innings even more than that. Turns out the real fix isn't the innings, it's what happens in those innings you do pitch. Every bullpen in baseball has 5 dudes who can hit 98. Several starters can get to or approach 100 with ease.

I really wish more teams would invest in the Greg Maddux types who focus on location and movement more than velocity. It would pay off in the long run.

Shorts;

- Found it pretty problematic- perhaps even toxic and tone deaf, that the women’s championship pregame featured an all-female team in the studio set. Yep - no dudes. Maybe some day these sports producers will wake TF up.

- Name a more overrated human being than Grant Hill.

- My gym happens to be by a very nice soccer complex. They were having kids games starting at what must have been 7am on a Sunday. Seriously F off.

- TJ Maxx doesn’t get enough credit for their tremendous array of snacks.

- “Meets the Parents” is the best comedy of the 21st century.

- These past few years have really shown me how resilient I am as a basketball fan. Never realized how strong I truly am.

- I’ll always fondly remember my teenage iced beer faze where I was just trying to get as loaded as possible with as little $$$, maneuvering or consumption as possible.

- I’m a pretty hilarious dad. When people ask me how old my oldest daughter is, I answer, “She’s 3 … going on 21.” lol Get people every time.

- How underrated a Kentuckian is Keith Whitley?

- PTI’s answer to everything is soft-tossers.

- Traditionally a fall and winter guy but Kentucky athletics has me ready for summer, grilling out, sun, bad country music, the Reds and a little more sleep.

Wow the Italian UK coach on the ‘hot seat’ has turned his lame duck tenure into the hottest program in the sport!!

Good job, Ming. See you Friday v the Vols.

Reactions: Col. Angus
I really wish more teams would invest in the Greg Maddux types who focus on location and movement more than velocity. It would pay off in the long run.

I tend to agree with you, but I also wonder if 1) hitting has gotten significantly better over the last few years due to the technology and having to constantly see dudes throwing 98 all the time and 2) the pitch track thing limits the location first guys; it didn't exist when Maddux and Glavine were likely getting the benefit of the doubt on a wide strike zone.

I grew up watching Tony Gwynn, Pete Rose, Rod Carew, Wade Boggs, and George Brett. Don’t tell me hitting is better now.

Fair. I grew up watching Chipper Jones who is now teaching the Braves how to hit. And you know who is likely better than all those guys? Juan Soto.

That said, I think the increase in max effort pitching has forced guys to get better at hitting. If you are constantly facing top pitching you have to adjust. And they've seemed to done that.

They are hearing it from someone who apparently nailed the Z news the day before and every recruit we’ve gotten the past 2 years the day before.

Back in the day, I got some news from a different source (WLEX) employee that the Kanter news would be coming the next day and shared it on this fine thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Col. Angus
2+ decades of analytics nerds ruining America’s pastime has culminated in the unbelievably complex and complicated advice of “swing as hard as you can all the time and throw as hard as you can all the time.”

Nerds literally ruin everything
Yeah, but whoever put in the pitch clock needs to be sainted.

Reactions: Crystalglass
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT