ADVERTISEMENT

Greg McElroy calls out UKs D Line and Matt Elam

No, Matt dodged the bullet by not picking Bama, he would be gone, either JUCO or out of football. While he hasn't lived up to expectations on the field, hopefully he has or will shortly get his degree, UK stood by him and giving him that opportunity. Bama would not.

But anyone who watched his tape who knows anything about DL play knew he was very raw and overweight, but felt he was worth the risk of learning the position,, technique and fundamentals pulse getting in shape. None of that really happened, maybe he didn't put the 100% effort in, maybe he just isn't athletic enough, he has very limited flexibility and explosion. Seems like a good guy and if he gets that degree he will be ok.

There are at times (not very often) that he will explode and push back the Center, but he'll run past the play. His biggest issue, other than maybe lack of desire, is probably pad level as he just plays too high, too often and that could come from not having that consistent desire to perform at a high level.

matt gets called out b/c of his size and his star rating out of high school. It's unfair but then life is unfair at times. Why do no other 2nd teamers get called out like that! I didn't hear the thing with McElroy but if he did what people are saying then I don't understand, on SEC TV for all to see/hear, not good.

Nobody outside of practice or the workouts know about the effort he's putting out. The fact that Elam struggles with his weight is one sign of not buckling down. As far as the other issues, it's hard to say what the problem is. Whether he hasn't put forth enough effort or the talent or drive simply isn't there is a moot point. Some guys pan out and some guys don't. I don't attend practices anymore so I won't speculate.

Reactions: Soupbean
Not playing low and poor conditioning are two issues tied directly to effort/desire.

I think he puts forth great effort on game day. But his lack of effort in preparation creates the problems that plague him.

Also, as ive posted many times, i think hes playing out of position.

Im sorry but effort is matts biggest obstacle not talent. The reason Matt was so highly coveted is his athleticism for his size. Even the new dline coach questioned matts motor. He does not play with the necessary effort it takes at this level.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
What!? What!?....feel bad and put yourself in a Matt Elam's shoe! The kid is lazy! No effort what so ever in 3 years!....now year 4, he does something miraculous? Give me a break....we've seen 2/3 stars kids come through the program last 10-12 years, now in the NFL. Why? Because they worked their a arse off! Elam 4/5 star....pass...

"Lazy and no effort"? Easy to see how far advanced your football experience took you. Try to duplicate the effort of three years of football practice at this level. You might adjust your opinion.

I'm disappointed for him but he just wasn't cut out for the position he played or even any position on the roster of a D1 SEC team. But lazy and no effort, not so.

Reactions: Soupbean
The analysis was right, whether anyone likes or wants to admit to it. Elam has all the physical tools, but seems to lack the heart and desire. He should own the line of scrimmage.
I really doubt this will have much affect on him. His own coach has called him out and it hasn't had any affect.

No, Matt dodged the bullet by not picking Bama, he would be gone, either JUCO or out of football. While he hasn't lived up to expectations on the field, hopefully he has or will shortly get his degree, UK stood by him and giving him that opportunity. Bama would not.

But anyone who watched his tape who knows anything about DL play knew he was very raw and overweight, but felt he was worth the risk of learning the position,, technique and fundamentals pulse getting in shape. None of that really happened, maybe he didn't put the 100% effort in, maybe he just isn't athletic enough, he has very limited flexibility and explosion. Seems like a good guy and if he gets that degree he will be ok.

Agree that he absolutely had the potential. You can spend 5 minutes watch tape of him as a high schooler and see that. The problem is he simply hasn't put in the work. To me he looks like his conditioning is actually worse than it was when he was a freshman. At this stage I don't see the potential to improve. You can't lose 60 or more pounds without it making you weaker. He needed to spend the first couple years losing weight and then build back the strength. He can't do all of that in one off season.

Reactions: bluebornwildcat
“It goes against your intuition as an athlete. You want to do as much as you can and punish yourself because that makes you better. But you have to do that in a smarter way now. I do, just going through this rehab process.” - John Toth

It is not easy to be elite.

Reactions: bluebornwildcat
Not a single thing wrong with what GMac said. He's 100% correct. Don't like it DL....sack up!
He is 100% correct on our DL. In fact one year ago coming out of spring I called our DL the worst I have ever seen at UK. It pretty much was. You can argue that some of Bill Curry's DLs were worse but it would be a debate. The only issue I have with what he said is that it was a bit over the top to single Elam out like that. He might be correct on substance but it was over the top and unnecessary. He should have stuck with criticizing the unit as a whole.

There are at times (not very often) that he will explode and push back the Center, but he'll run past the play. His biggest issue, other than maybe lack of desire, is probably pad level as he just plays too high, too often and that could come from not having that consistent desire to perform at a high level.

And playing too high results from not being conditioned, poor fundamentals and technique and lack of flexibility. I have no idea what Matt's level of desire is, just because he is a big kid doesn't mean he is going to be good at football, just like being tall doesn't mean you will be good at basketball. Matt was probably 2-5 inches taller and maybe 100lbs heavier in hs than anyone else on the field. I nor the vast majority know the effort he has put into being a football player at UK or his desire to be successful on the football field, but he has never done anything to embarass UK, UK fans haven't had to defend him, he is a great representative of the university. He just hasn't performed on the football field they way many fans expected. If you haven't been a college football player, or any college athlete you don't know the effort it takes to just remain on the team.

Not playing low and poor conditioning are two issues tied directly to effort/desire.

I think he puts forth great effort on game day. But his lack of effort in preparation creates the problems that plague him.

Also, as ive posted many times, i think hes playing out of position.
I agree Blue but my point is it's not just due to lack of effort. Part of it that you have to factor in is that is really just that much harder for him to do than others. For someone 6-7 with most of his weight on the top half of his body it's really hard to stay low and come off the ball low with any balance and leverage.

Its like us getting on Isaac Humphries because he can't bring the ball up the floor better against the press.

I think we think got fooled into thinking, big huge guy, must be able to be a beast up the middle but that's just not the case.

Now am I frustrated he doesnt' show more effort or fight, yep. Even when he stands up I'd like to see him fight more, throw guys off of him, use his hands and just be more aggressive period and think he could do more. But I now see that some of what we're hoping he would do is just not what he can do no matter how hard he tries.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
Looks like he is still listed as second string, and those guys are needed also, so he is not a ''total waste" of a scholarship, why isn't everyone jumping all over the third string guy for not being good enough to replace him? And of course he might be replaced by the end of the year.

IIRC Saban himself said at the time he was recruiting him that he was the best tackle he had seen (and in light of what has happened I assume he was talking about in that class) so our coaches weren't out of line in wanting to sign him.

And I still say that getting a DL that well thought of helped that recruiting class quite a bit, it was a big win at the time.

I hope he does do his best this year, for himself and the team, whatever that best is.

jauk11 we never really disagree this much, most of the time we usually agree on most things. I was elated Matt signed with the Cats! When he showed up weighing almost 400 lbs I would have Red-shirted him without exception. Put a manager or position coach on him and ran him to he either he got in shape or quite. He had info on what to eat and when to eat it before he got here. He choose not to do it and has never been an asset, just a liability. I feel for him if he had worked he might have Football in his future but after this year you won't here about him anymore!

jauk11 we never really disagree this much, most of the time we usually agree on most things. I was elated Matt signed with the Cats! When he showed up weighing almost 400 lbs I would have Red-shirted him without exception. Put a manager or position coach on him and ran him to he either he got in shape or quite. He had info on what to eat and when to eat it before he got here. He choose not to do it and has never been an asset, just a liability. I feel for him if he had worked he might have Football in his future but after this year you won't here about him anymore!

I don't know this but I think Stoops could have promised him no RS if he came to UK, no doubt he would have if he went to Bama and they would have cut him loose. If he told him that he couldn't RS him without hurting himself with future kids. Now like I said I don't know that but coaches do it all the time. But then again UK was pretty slim and he made have had to play him, but just a thought.

I don't know this but I think Stoops could have promised him no RS if he came to UK, no doubt he would have if he went to Bama and they would have cut him loose. If he told him that he couldn't RS him without hurting himself with future kids. Now like I said I don't know that but coaches do it all the time. But then again UK was pretty slim and he made have had to play him, but just a thought.
Grumpy I for one am so glad you stop over and chat with us regularly . I've said my peace of mind on Matt. I appreciate you opinion and knowledge and you have made some good points. Thank you.

Its not like he said anything that we haven't all thought about Elam. I haven't been as critical on Elam as most since I've always believed they only ask that he occupy 2 two blockers to keep the LB's clean but often we haven't even gotten that. I do hope Elam proves this guy wrong.

Elam sucks and he was spot on with everything said! When your 380 lbs and you get pushed off the L. O. S. 5 yards every play you pretty much suck!

Pretty sure he leads the team in "Opponents helped up".

He just doesn't have the fire.

If McElroy was just being malicious then I don't agree,but if it motivates the D then I'm all for it. Lord knows if we had half a defense the past 30 years we would have most likely been to Atlanta more than a time or two..

The fact is that nothing has worked to develop him into an SEC d-lineman. Now whether that stems from no one having the correct motivational techniques; or it's just the end result of someone better suited to be in FCS level competition, is for someone else to decide. Ky gambled and lost as far as developing him into an consistent SEC caliber player. I think UK has done all it can do for him and I think the coaches have exercised considerable dignity and restraint when commenting on his situation. There are plenty of kids at that height and weight who can play.

He is 100% correct on our DL. In fact one year ago coming out of spring I called our DL the worst I have ever seen at UK. It pretty much was. You can argue that some of Bill Curry's DLs were worse but it would be a debate. The only issue I have with what he said is that it was a bit over the top to single Elam out like that. He might be correct on substance but it was over the top and unnecessary. He should have stuck with criticizing the unit as a whole.
It was over the top but I'm hoping Matt uses it to have the season we all know he is capable of having.

I agree Blue but my point is it's not just due to lack of effort. Part of it that you have to factor in is that is really just that much harder for him to do than others. For someone 6-7 with most of his weight on the top half of his body it's really hard to stay low and come off the ball low with any balance and leverage.

Its like us getting on Isaac Humphries because he can't bring the ball up the floor better against the press.

I think we think got fooled into thinking, big huge guy, must be able to be a beast up the middle but that's just not the case.

Now am I frustrated he doesnt' show more effort or fight, yep. Even when he stands up I'd like to see him fight more, throw guys off of him, use his hands and just be more aggressive period and think he could do more. But I now see that some of what we're hoping he would do is just not what he can do no matter how hard he tries.

6 7 and nearly 400 pounds is a gift, not a curse.

Its harder for him to play low, which makes technique and conditioning that much more important. But if hed put in the time, and could play low, hed be unstoppable

I don't think I can disagree with him.. I love Matt, and was excited as heck and thankful he chose us over Alabama.. That being said, he has been a bit of a disappointment to me.

I think Freddie Maggard said it best on their SEC Media Day 2 podcast yesterday. There is no talk from coaches or players about Matt's effort when he's in the facilities and in practice. He gives a good effort and works hard when he's there. However, once he leaves the facilities he completely derails which makes a lot of sense when you see his struggles with his weight every off season.

I think he just has a self control problem and when he's not supervised he doesn't put the work in. SEC football is a 365 day job, not a part time seasonal gig. He's from Hardin County like I am, so I've always held out hope he can put something together and I want to see him succeed. Hopefully with his back against the wall this season something will finally click because we desperately need it with our DL depth issues

Reactions: BengalWACO
Terrance Cody was a big dude at Alabama at DT.... he did work and made the pros.. I wish our Matt could do the same, he seems like a gentle giant though. Has anyone ever tried him on OLine?

I think "gentle giant" about sums it up. I don't see him play with anything like a "mean" streak.

"Lazy and no effort"? Easy to see how far advanced your football experience took you. Try to duplicate the effort of three years of football practice at this level. You might adjust your opinion.

I'm disappointed for him but he just wasn't cut out for the position he played or even any position on the roster of a D1 SEC team. But lazy and no effort, not so.
This. I don't think being lazy is the problem. I just think he's not very good and not an SEC caliber player.

Elam sucks and he was spot on with everything said! When your 380 lbs and you get pushed off the L. O. S. 5 yards every play you pretty much suck!

You may be right but unless you've ever played against an SEC offensive lineman I'll reserve some doubt about your opinion of Matt. Too harsh.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
What he said was completely acceptable. Matt Elam never tried or put forth any effort in getting better or stronger. Pretty much a waste of size, looks like a pig. Should of switched to OL 2 years ago. Do appreciate him bleeding blue though.

What he said was completely acceptable. Matt Elam never tried or put forth any effort in getting better or stronger. Pretty much a waste of size, looks like a pig. Should of switched to OL 2 years ago. Do appreciate him bleeding blue though.

Crap loser post.

Reactions: Kybluedude
Bama fans certainly know who he is, they talk about him on Bama boards whenever he's brought up. They're very glad he picked U.K. and not them, they think they dodged a bullet. Which they did.

Frankly he would have been discarded and another 5 star brought in.....Bama can overcome misses quite easy, UK not so much

Elam essentially is a one charge rhino and plays in space about 3 yards wide by 3 yards long, no hand movement, no desire to get off blocks, no desire to pursue, well basically no desire at all....::

Reactions: GridCats and KYNC89
Terrance Cody was a big dude at Alabama at DT.... he did work and made the pros.. I wish our Matt could do the same, he seems like a gentle giant though. Has anyone ever tried him on OLine?

Similar to the redshirt issue, I've always assumed part of the deal to get Matt here was that he would get to remain on the D-line. I don't have any insider knowledge regarding that, but have to assume since they never gave that a shot.

Reactions: BengalWACO
Frankly he would have been discarded and another 5 star brought in.....Bama can overcome misses quite easy, UK not so much

Elam essentially is a one charge rhino and plays in space about 3 yards wide by 3 yards long, no hand movement, no desire to get off blocks, no desire to pursue, well basically no desire at all....::
Certain people disagree with you

6 7 and nearly 400 pounds is a gift, not a curse.

Its harder for him to play low, which makes technique and conditioning that much more important. But if hed put in the time, and could play low, hed be unstoppable
Your making my point Blue. It's a gift if your playing a game where your job it to just lean on somebody. You said yourself it's harder for him to play low. I think it's not just harder it's unnatural at his size. Dont you think the coaches have been working and teaching him the proper technique for the past 3 years?

Again Im not excusing that he doesnt' seem to put more effort in, and I do think it would make it easier for him if he lost 50lbs. Just saying I think we are really discounting how hard it is for him to do that. It's not his size it's his build. If he were the same measurements with a big butt and legs and smaller top I think you would see a road grader, but he's not.

If it was just about size and effort would he be any better at nose guard if he were 6-10 and 500lbs. If you cant move your hips and body and create leverage you're just a refrigerator out there.

Your making my point Blue. It's a gift if your playing a game where your job it to just lean on somebody. You said yourself it's harder for him to play low. I think it's not just harder it's unnatural at his size. Dont you think the coaches have been working and teaching him the proper technique for the past 3 years?

Again Im not excusing that he doesnt' seem to put more effort in, and I do think it would make it easier for him if he lost 50lbs. Just saying I think we are really discounting how hard it is for him to do that. It's not his size it's his build. If he were the same measurements with a big butt and legs and smaller top I think you would see a road grader, but he's not.

If it was just about size and effort would he be any better at nose guard if he were 6-10 and 500lbs. If you cant move your hips and body and create leverage you're just a refrigerator out there.

You can teach a kid how to play low. A kid can do conditioning over the summer on their own.

You cant teach the massive size combined with nimble feet that Elam has.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard. Textbook example here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT