ADVERTISEMENT

Great Start by Texas A&M

Truth is always in the middle.
We're not a lock down defensive team but they were riding the emotional wave of UK coming to town.
They are a team by Buzz's own admission that has motivational issues.
They will be lucky to make the tournament and UK was definitely they're biggest home game of the year.
UK's issues are just as much leadership on the court as it is defensive x's and O's.
Our seniors, while good players are soft.

A&M isn’t even trying to attack the rim and when they do they aren’t getting ever single whistle. The commentators just said Mussleman said he was gonna take away their two guards and let the other 3 guys try to beat them. I wonder why Cal didn’t try that in the second half.
This is part of why many don't feel like Cal is a great defensive coach.

1. He won't play zone.
2. He states he doesn't scout (at least in regular season) and plays team straight up. Which to your point....why not double off one big man (i.e trap ball screen) and let the big man have lane with Ugo/Mitchell waiting in there to contest with forward helping off his man and thusly leaving the wing shooters open.

Cal simply never tried strategy....it was live/die off high ball screen switching (which we died).

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
I love our freshmen guards. All three will play in the NBA. But when you make DaJuan Harris, RJ Davis and Wade Taylor look like Steph Curry, Dame Lillard and Trae Young—how is it going to look over the next few years when you’re actually guarding Steph Curry, Dame Lillard and Trae Young? I know the NBA is wide open but you have to occasionally stop people.
Dajaun Harris is the outlier for sure- and honestly the way we played him is the way most do-
The other two are actually two of the best guards in the country- its giving up so many easy basket to the other role players that is troublesome .

The real ? did Buzz Williams read any good books? Sure as hell didn't prepare for this game.
But hey, after calling TO with the 1 point lead, he made sure to double team Arky's best player who already had over 30 - to make sure somebody else had to shoot - oops, no he didn't. Guess he didn't read the book on defense. Just being a little sarcastic here.

1. He won't play zone.
2. He states he doesn't scout (at least in regular season) and plays team straight up. Which to your point....why not double off one big man (i.e trap ball screen) and let the big man have lane with Ugo/Mitchell waiting in there to contest with forward helping off his man and thusly leaving the wing shooters open.

Cal simply never tried strategy....it was live/die off high ball screen switching (which we died).
or trap the hot hand to force the ball to another player, or hard-hedge the screen (instead of passively sliding through), or focus on boxing out?

All things that Cal doesn't do. It's really frustrating to see the same offensive sets kill us over and over and over again. Opposing coaches must laugh when they see the same play burning us repeatedly.

Reactions: K_TIME
But hey, after calling TO with the 1 point lead, he made sure to double team Arky's best player who already had over 30 - to make sure somebody else had to shoot - oops, no he didn't. Guess he didn't read the book on defense. Just being a little sarcastic here.
And why wait until the end of the game to even consider it? Why not consider doubling the SEC POY a little earlier in the game? Nah, let's play straight up M2M, get screened at the top of the key, and let him choose which side of the basket to attack.

SMDH

1. He won't play zone.

I almost agree with the No zone in this game. We were already getting killed on the boards and it would have been worse in a zone. But I agree 100% about playing straight up. Cal coaches like he is a general in the revolutionary war. Line up in a field directly across from one another and the best man wins. No strategy.

Reactions: K_TIME
Yeah I tried to warn the gamblers. You got to take the hawgs and deal with the Muss Nip Slip.
When Taylor made the layup with 50 secs to go and tied the game, I "BET" you lost your confidence, huh?

I know I did. I had Arkansas +3
But Overtime was on my mind....

I almost agree with the No zone in this game. We were already getting killed on the boards and it would have been worse in a zone. But I agree 100% about playing straight up. Cal coaches like he is a general in the revolutionary war. Line up in a field directly across from one another and the best man wins. No strategy.
Haha...I like your revolutionary war analogy. Cal does coach kids up individually (the transformation of PJ, Quickley, etc...) is good stuff. But his game prep for most regular season games is non existent. He just either doens't want to break down opponents game film or can't teach to young kids on how to execute a game plan that may differ from game to game.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Don't even get the comparison. Arkansas was at home. Is there any doubt UK wins last Saturday at home or on a neutral acourt? Come on.

Spent all his time preparing for UK and to get that win he forgot to do anything for Arkansas.
We've all seen the Buzz Williams ACT for a while now and it's tired. The White Board. The antics, the build up to the "style choices" both of wardrobe and facial hair. He's just obnoxious and not that good of a coach. He's your typical crybaby in that he wants tight whistle to help his ***tty offense, and then wants to be able to mug you on defense and gets upset when anything is called.

He cried in '22 that they didn't get in NCAA's-they put the team in '23 and they were so dog**** awful they embarrassed themselves. Why? They can't score. Teams like his are reliant on this new trend in CBB and Mega Conferences of just making sure the home team gets every/any call possible and make sure they get every chance to compete. Officials need good reviews from coaches/conferences and the best way is to make everyone happy. It's laughable but it's reality. I say this also not placing blame on officials in the outcome-they helped Kentucky get to OT since Cal pissed away ball and last shot opportunity (yet again).

But seeing the Buzzard eat a bag of D***s after his "big win" was the least surprising thing in the sports world the past 2 weeks and we've seen Saban retire, Carroll and Belichick let go.

If UK isn't everyone's superbowl.. then we should have no problems betting on these teams to win their next game/cover the spread, right?

If they aren't treating UK any different, then these teams should have no problem continuing their performance for the next game, more or less.. but we know that's not the case at all.

We've all seen the Buzz Williams ACT for a while now and it's tired. The White Board. The antics, the build up to the "style choices" both of wardrobe and facial hair. He's just obnoxious and not that good of a coach. He's your typical crybaby in that he wants tight whistle to help his ***tty offense, and then wants to be able to mug you on defense and gets upset when anything is called.

He cried in '22 that they didn't get in NCAA's-they put the team in '23 and they were so dog**** awful they embarrassed themselves. Why? They can't score. Teams like his are reliant on this new trend in CBB and Mega Conferences of just making sure the home team gets every/any call possible and make sure they get every chance to compete. Officials need good reviews from coaches/conferences and the best way is to make everyone happy. It's laughable but it's reality. I say this also not placing blame on officials in the outcome-they helped Kentucky get to OT since Cal pissed away ball and last shot opportunity (yet again).

But seeing the Buzzard eat a bag of D***s after his "big win" was the least surprising thing in the sports world the past 2 weeks and we've seen Saban retire, Carroll and Belichick let go.

I noticed it during our game and Arkansas last night but no wonder they get a shit ton of offensive rebounds. They claw, push, shove, knock over, and anything else they can get away with. Like you said he uses the "can't call em all defense" which I utterly hate. That cancels out elite talent. But I can't stand his act. Anytime he loses I chuckle.

• Love
Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I noticed it during our game and Arkansas last night but no wonder they get a shit ton of offensive rebounds. They claw, push, shove, knock over, and anything else they can get away with. Like you said he uses the "can't call em all defense" which I utterly hate. That cancels out elite talent. But I can't stand his act. Anytime he loses I chuckle.
I don’t mind it if it’s allowed to go both ways. The problem is it rarely ever is. Especially in this conference

Reactions: TriCountyCat
I don’t mind it if it’s allowed to go both ways. The problem is it rarely ever is. Especially in this conference

I just ask for consistency from officials. However they want to call it. Just do it from minute one to the end. The 5 minutes of touch fouls combined with 5 minutes of rugby kills me.

Reactions: bbncal02
Perfectly stated. "They can't call them all"--so brilliantly stated. It's a pathetic way to coach a skill sport but it's what happens when you don't punish rules violators. CBB is the lone sport where violating the rules helps the team trailing. Everything is designed/allowed to help a team that is behind that doesn't involve making shots. Fouling. Clock stopping in last minute (that should only take place if the game is 10 pts or less IMO), timeout for "clock reviews" to help the trailing team who has used them to stop game before the last minute clock stoppage-so a trailing team in most CBB games end up with 8-10 timeouts. To the new and my least favorite "That was not a goal tend-but despite team shooting having rebound/possession and a likely hoop--we just give ball to the team who we though goal tended".

Truth is always in the middle.
We're not a lock down defensive team but they were riding the emotional wave of UK coming to town.
They are a team by Buzz's own admission that has motivational issues.
They will be lucky to make the tournament and UK was definitely they're biggest home game of the year.
UK's issues are just as much leadership on the court as it is defensive x's and O's.
Our seniors, while good players are soft.
LOL Mitchell is not in the least soft. While Reeves will never be mistaken for a bulldog on D he has stepped up this year and at least is giving effort.

Texas A&M will be lucky to beat us again.

And I mean that our defense will be better by then,

Perfectly stated. "They can't call them all"--so brilliantly stated. It's a pathetic way to coach a skill sport but it's what happens when you don't punish rules violators. CBB is the lone sport where violating the rules helps the team trailing. Everything is designed/allowed to help a team that is behind that doesn't involve making shots. Fouling. Clock stopping in last minute (that should only take place if the game is 10 pts or less IMO), timeout for "clock reviews" to help the trailing team who has used them to stop game before the last minute clock stoppage-so a trailing team in most CBB games end up with 8-10 timeouts. To the new and my least favorite "That was not a goal tend-but despite team shooting having rebound/possession and a likely hoop--we just give ball to the team who we though goal tended".

I think Terry Oglesby and Doug Shows had 8 reviews last night. That's entirely too much. The goal tend rule/call is the dumbest thing I've seen. Maybe dumber than the block/charge call. I need someone from the rules committee explain to me how that was fair. Because of the botched call we lost 2 points and then lost the possession because Ugo had an easy put back. How was that fair to us when we violated no rules of the game? And the kicker those 2 points were real valuable at the end of the game. Pat Adams and his crew will face no accountability for their mistake. Only one party was punished in that scenario and it was the team that broke no rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT