ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

New Belgium threw in a Tripel in their fall Folly 12 pack - nice little surprise.

Haven't seen much about pumpkin beers on here but Schlafly has one of the better ones.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
North Coast is a great brewery. Red Seal ale was the best hoppy pale/Amber available prior to sierra Nevadas arrival in KY. Late 90s in KY, only well-hopped ales were Red Seal and Anchor Liberty Ale.

Of course, TONS of great pales/IPAs started arriving in early 2000's

Deschutes Fresh-Squeezed IPA is probably the 2nd best session-able IPA (still fairly high octane, but not Marahaja or something like that)

Drinking a sixer for the win

We've been crushing Founders All-day IPA cans for sometime. It's not the best or hoppiest IPA but it's extremely drinkable and the 15pk cans were 13.99 all summer.

Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest is the best widely available Marzen style beer you will find. Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head are maybe not considered micro anymore because of their size, but they still make great beers across the board.

Had 3 Floyds Alpha King very good, not Zombie Dust, but still very good.
Picked up some Stone Ruination 2.0 world class double IPA
There was a brew pub in the Baltmore airport called DuClaw brewing. That had a beer called Serum. It was 9% and freaking awesome. Also had a stout there called Sweet Baby Jesus. It had peanut butter in it.. They might should rethink that one.

Just bought this and I'm anxious to try it. Anyone here had this? Where's Austin to make a ruling on this one?

3420765304_3a7819957c.jpg

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/112/410/
Just now drank a 12 oz single. Nicely hopped and well-balanced. 3.75 / 5. Good beer.

Reactions: KingOfBBN
Just now drank a 12 oz single. Nicely hopped and well-balanced. 3.75 / 5. Good beer.

Glad you liked it. I wish mine had lasted longer. My buddy drank three of them and my wife wasted one of them (took like two drinks and left it out grrrr).

Keep some suggestions coming. I've got all of the California brewery stuff around me but want some different beers to try.

Heisman, thanks! Breweries in California produce fantastic beer. In April, 2006, I visited our design center in San Diego. Karl Strauss Brewing was located in walking distance just down the street from our facility (Conexant). Awesome restaurant and beer. Heh heh, have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: KingOfBBN
Thanks for the suggestion. Will do.

Haven't tried it yet. I got it for tonight. The wife and I are having some friends over for beer and pizza and always try to find a new beer to try every time they come over. He's originally from German so he loves some beer.

I tried Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest and really liked it. I know that's more of a "mainstream beer" but it was still good. Wife didn't care too much for it though.

Sierra-Nevada-Oktoberfest-960x960.png
Drinking this now. Great finish. Good beer.

Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest is the best widely available Marzen style beer you will find. Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head are maybe not considered micro anymore because of their size, but they still make great beers across the board.

I tried the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest yesterday. Really liked it. Great taste and smooth. I know it can't compete with some of the other beers in this thread but I've been sampling a lot of different beers and the Sierra Nevada was a good one.

I've been trying a lot of new beers. Just posted that I really liked the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest. Just had a question : I've been buying a beer named Mirror Pond. I know it's not an award winner but I like it. Anyone else drink this beer ?

Did anyone mention it in the beer thread you just posted in?

No idea what I drank tonight at Oktoberfest but it still has me buzzed, mofos.

I know it was German so I'm sure Austin could narrow it down.

Went to Against The Grain last night in Louisville. Had the Double IPA which was really well done as there was no fruit flavor, just the hop and it still had a nice malty taste as well. Also had their Abbey Ale which I liked a lot. Nice heavy malt taste and extremely smooth.

Saturday we knocked out some of the New Albanian's Marzen Oktoberfest, it was the best Marzen I have ever had by a wide margin.

No idea what I drank tonight at Oktoberfest but it still has me buzzed, mofos.

I know it was German so I'm sure Austin could narrow it down.
Major German labels distributed here are Warsteiner, Bitburger, Paulaner, Krombacher, Weihenstephaner, Franziskaner, Veltins' Beck's and Erdinger. Lots of minor labels include but not limited to Ayinger, Flensburger, Reissdorf, Licher, Leipziger and Aecht Schlenlerla. Minor German labels, including specialty styles such as Gose, are always expanding their US presence. Any sound familiar?

Ha ha, sounds like you had a good time.

I always have a strong bias towards Vermont beers. They are definitely a top10 state for beer, but they are #1 for me. Drinking Switchback in an outdoor hottub when it's 10 degrees outside in a ski house.. nothing better.

Recently had Shed, which is brewed practically at the base of Sugarbush mtn. Pretty damn good. Nice IPA's and stouts. Heavy beers for cold days on the ski lift.

@HeismanWildcat85 May have been the Spaten Optimator. That's a pretty common beer for Oktoberfests and it absolutely wrecks people.

how do we find out how much the share price is for Ballast Point, Austin?

At $10 a share. What would be a feasible outlook long term?

I mean it can't get up to no $50 a share kinda shit can it?

I heard a few years back that these craft breweries were really just hurting each other, that demographics were showing people still by and large drank the Budweisers of the world and craft beer had a small market share. Any thoughts or truth to this? Seems kind of reasonable.. I find myself just alternating from craft beer to craft beer.

Everyone seems to have a different go to (mine being MagicHat and Saranac, as they are cheap and I can get them anywhere), so how can these craft beer companies really stand-out? Not sure I'd invest in anything other than InBev or heineken.. or another conglomerate buying up craft beer.

If there goal is to get huge market share or grow into multi-million dollar global businesses then they are definitely hurting each other. But they aren't keeping each other from being more-than-just-successful businesses and there is actually even more room for new craft breweries.

A lot of breweries are very local and can survive/thrive just on keg sales to local establishments

At $10 a share. What would be a feasible outlook long term?

I mean it can't get up to no $50 a share kinda shit can it?
Bro, it's hard to say. Ballast Point has a good reach. It's distributed here in Texas. They have some serious competition nationwide. Earnings doubled over 2 years, but so have expenditures. In order to grow like Sam Adams, they need to innovate and also perhaps purchase other small brewers and their recipes.

Definitely keep an eye on it. I'd avoid the IPO and let it settle a bit before diving in. First couple earnings cycles should tell us more.

Cool thing about Sam Adams is one could purchase a few shares of their stock at a time through a Dividend Re Investment Plan (DRiP). Cooler if Ballast Point offers a similar plan.

Below are 5 publicly traded brewers which are NOT either "Big Beer" or Sam Adams, respective ticker symbols and recent share price..

Mendocino Brewing Company - MENB: 0.27
Craft Brew Alliance, Inc - BREW: 7.91
Big Rock Brewery (Canada) - BRBMF: 4.02
American Brewing Co. - ABRW: 0.37
Appalachian Mountain Brewing - HOPS: 3.50

Some contend BREW (Widmer Brothers, Kona, Redhook, Omission) may as well be "Big Beer", as AB InBev owns 32% of the stock. BREW took a minority stake in HOPS, although I'm unsure how much. BREW also distributes beer produced by HOPS.

Ballast Point is distributed in 30 states and 10 countries. When the company goes public, I look for AB InBev to purchase a stake.

Last edited:
Some contend BREW (Widmer Brothers, Kona, Redhook, Omission) may as well be "Big Beer", as AB InBev owns 32% of the stock.
Red Hook Extra Special Bitters is my personal ultimate. To me, it's an all occasion beer. Do you guys know of anything comparable that's local or independent?

BTW, have some Smuttynose chilling based on recs from here and tried, and liked, this with a pizza. It's a sweet, fun beer.
beer_158433.jpg

Red Hook Extra Special Bitters is my personal ultimate. To me, it's an all occasion beer. Do you guys know of anything comparable that's local or independent?

BTW, have some Smuttynose chilling based on recs from here and tried, and liked, this with a pizza. It's a sweet, fun beer.
beer_158433.jpg
Smuttynose = Great!

Red Hook brews decent suds, but I've yet to drink a so-called "knock it out of the park" by those guys. In my humble opinion, their Pumpkin was okay this year, although nothing distinctive.

Lagunitas Sucks = damn good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT