ADVERTISEMENT

Grant Nelson

DaProdigy23

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2012
Really wanted this guy in the portal (along with David Jones) but he’s been flat out terrible. Glad we didn’t pursue and that I was wrong.

Shooting 44% from 2, 25% from 3 on volume. Can’t defend, can’t dribble against elite athletes, always looking to shoot. Crazy to think Bradshaw is a better 4 as of now. Shot Bama out of the game tonight.

I don’t think it’s crazy at all. Bradshaw was an elite prospect. There’s a reason Nelson started out at North Dakota State.
This, this, this, this, this

Our downslide coincided with the fact we relied on players we didn't want originally instead of the cream of the crop. This year, we got the cream of the crop. And if the the great Macho Man ever taught us anything it's...

cream-will.gif

MY GOODNESS the players we were hyped on back then. The aforementioned plus other guys like Dakota Euton and KC Ross Miller and Kevin Galloway. Wow we were truly rock bottom then. It was so bad that we started Mark Coury. Oof!

I wanted him really bad too, I’ll admit it. It was at a time where we really needed an experienced Forward out of the portal and his “versatility” seemed to fit what we were looking for. At the time we had no way of knowing Tre Mitchell would fall in our lap. The difference too is, Bama NEEDS him as their 2nd/3rd option, while Mitchell is our 5th option. Truth is, Bama just isn’t good, they’re not a tournament team. I feel Nelson would’ve been a better fit here, but not nearly as good a fit as Mitchell has been.

Another fact, it’s just a really big step from low major to high major. Look around at how rare it is that low major guys come anywhere close to matching their production from the lower level. Just goes to show how good Cal and the staff’s evaluation of Reeves was, because it wasn’t like he was the hottest name in the portal when he went in (Nelson kinda was). But we’ve also seen his limitations and his tendency to struggle against higher caliber teams. Reeves is basically the best case scenario of what you could get. Grant Nelson is your middle case scenario, he can give you production but it’s not efficient and the holes really really show if you’re asking them to start and play big minutes.

Really wanted this guy in the portal (along with David Jones) but he’s been flat out terrible. Glad we didn’t pursue and that I was wrong.

Shooting 44% from 2, 25% from 3 on volume. Can’t defend, can’t dribble against elite athletes, always looking to shoot. Crazy to think Bradshaw is a better 4 as of now. Shot Bama out of the game tonight.
Props to Travis Graf, he was always adamant that Nelson wasn’t very good and was severely over valued based on some highlights.

Reactions: DaProdigy23
He's a really solid player, I've watched his whole career(even in HS). He would have been a better player here, than at Alabama. No discipline on that team, it's chuck it up and hope something goes in. His defense in the post last night was pretty damn good against Arizona's bigs. Another reason why Nate Oats is garbage.

His numbers dropped drastically when he played power 5 opponents when he was at NDSU. I’m surprised Knecht has has as much success so far.

His numbers dropped drastically when he played power 5 opponents when he was at NDSU. I’m surprised Knecht has has as much success so far.
Knecht is on every mock draft as a first rounder, fringe lotto on some. His physical profile and solid passing ability is in demand at the NBA level. He’s looked at as a 3 and D prospect that you can plug into a lineup right away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT