ADVERTISEMENT

Gran being considered for Georgia OC

Jesus Christ, you may be the most butthurt I've ever seen an opposing fan. That ridiculous fake punt took some of your soul... apparently. As a UGA fan you should be used to never winning the big one. Congratulations on dominating the east the last 2 years with your stockpile of 4 and 5 star recruits but we all know when they turn bright lights on yall choke like a dog, every single time. See the fake punt.

I see you didn't care for being reminded of a instate and as you say choke job. I have been respectful here for years, and we may very well choke it away again the next 3-4 years, but we will be there.

He's also playing the hand he was dealt not the one he wished he had. If another OC had been running things and attempted to force feed the offense more of a passing attack with an inexperienced QB, and not a particularly strong receiving corp, we would have been lucky to win 6 or 7 games this year.

I don’t have any time for style complainers after a 10 win season.

Not a hater...we run a very conservative offense because it's what the HC wants. WON 10 games so it worked THIS YEAR because of our incredible defense.

And that is the guy (Stoops) who actually had a plan and built toward this year and beyond. I don’t know what you have planned in your life that has worked nearly as well as what Stoops achieved this year. So, my default is to go with the guy who has actually proved his worth.

Special teams play, defense and offense are why we are 10-3. I love what the players said about the last drive that killed the clock. While Snell was Snellicious, the players informed that they used different blocking schemes on that drive. It was probably the difference that caught Penn State off guard and secured that game. Fans can post ignorant comments on a message board. I will stick with Gran.

And, 10 wins is awesome. Crying for a change after the first 10 win season in 41 years is unmitigated stupidity.

You started crying when I said Kirby Smart wasnt infallible. Should have been a non issue but you chose to be butthurt. Screw you and your underachieving team.

Now who has them in a wad? I never said he was infallible, I know it was a bad call, but you felt the need to remind me again, and by your reaction you aren thrilled at getting reminded of your coaches mistakes. Like I said, maybe we choke again in 19, but we will get the chance.

Now who has them in a wad? I never said he was infallible, I know it was a bad call, but you felt the need to remind me again, and by your reaction you aren thrilled at getting reminded of your coaches mistakes. Like I said, maybe we choke again in 19, but we will get the chance.
I felt the need to tell someone, NOT YOU, that he wasn't infallible when they claimed Eddie Gran must be good because Kirby Smart wanted him. You felt the need to be butthurt. It wasnt a shot at him, I was just saying he isnt infallible.

Gran is a damn good coach, good recruiter and has won 24 games the last 3 years, with some limitations in pitch and catch talent and frankly, the head coach has wanted a certain type of game called. If Georgia offers, you gotta take, it's a Natty waiting to happen, but I would hate to lose Gran, we have only seen maybe 50% of his offense so far.

From Seth Emerson at The Athletic:

Smart could also look outside the program: He wanted to talk to Dan Enos three years ago but was denied by Arkansas. Does he try to pry Enos before he’s officially elevated to be Alabama’s offensive coordinator? Does he look at Kentucky’s Eddie Gran, mentioned by multiple outlets as a possibility? Gran is a good recruiter, especially in Florida, and Smart wants good recruiters, so that makes sense.

People wishing Gran to be gone, it could be a lot worse.
In all likelihood it wouldn't be any different. We ranked about 100 out of 120 teams in offense. Not sure it's getting much worse than that. But again this is Stoops and I'm not buying the this is what it takes to win part. Stoops could hire Mumme as an OC and have Peyton Manning at QB with Jerry Rice and Randy Moss at WR and he would still struggle to get 120 yards passing.

Reactions: thepip and Doodah80
In all likelihood it wouldn't be any different. We ranked about 100 out of 120 teams in offense. Not sure it's getting much worse than that. But again this is Stoops and I'm not buying the this is what it takes to win part. Stoops could hire Mumme as an OC and have Peyton Manning at QB with Jerry Rice and Randy Moss at WR and he would still struggle to get 120 yards passing.
Haha. Sounds like what they used to say about Dean Smith; "the only person who ever slowed MJ down."

My issue is and always has been why can't we get a legitimate QB that can do more than handoff, run, and make short passes in 6 years? Mumme used and brought in high caliber QB's that were surrounded by 2 and 3 star players and had record setting offenses. Brooks brought in a 4 star QB and surrounded him with mostly 2 and 3 star players and we had one of the best offenses in the country. Why do we still have mediocre offenses under Stoops every year when we have had 4 star QB's surrounded by 3 and 4 star players on offense?

If we just had an average offense this year we might have finished the regular season with 11 or 12 wins and could have possibly played for the SEC title and been in the playoff discussion. We still finished 10-3 thankfully with a once in a lifetime defense here at UK. With just an average defense we probably would have been stuck at 6 or 7 wins at best with the offense we ran. It would be nice to not be so one dimensional in the future with just a rushing game and hoping to have a great defense. I just don't see us maintaining this level (9 or more wins) doing what we did this year every year.

By the way, I don't want Gran to leave. I just want us to move toward caring more about the offense than we have the first 6 years.
Honestly think we have one in Gilmore and it is going to be interesting with Allen.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Couch, Lorenzen and Woodson were all Kentucky products that had grown up UK fans. This staff brought in 4 star Drew Barker which was one of the best instate QB prospects to come along, but injuries took their tole on the kid.

I hate to bring this up again but the staff was stood up at the alter two years in a row with Jones and Williams, it's not like they didn't try to find a quality QB.
We have had some really good luck with some players especially with the defense overachieving but OTOH we have had some really bad luck with QB recruiting.
Will Allen be next?

But do you know that a fake punt would likely NOT be called by the OC? It would be called by the special teams coach with the approval of the head coach. So you want to blame the most successful OC in Stoops tenure for the decisions that other coaches made? There will be no changing your mind. But Edsie Gran is the best OC we can have and it will set this program back YEARS if we lose him.
What the hell are you talking about? I was referencing the fake punt in the UGA-Bama SEC Championship game. I'm talking about Kirby Smart not being infallible.

Gran is a damn good coach, good recruiter and has won 24 games the last 3 years, with some limitations in pitch and catch talent and frankly, the head coach has wanted a certain type of game called. If Georgia offers, you gotta take, it's a Natty waiting to happen, but I would hate to lose Gran, we have only seen maybe 50% of his offense so far.
He's an awful OC, UGA saw that first hand. There's zero chance they offer him a job as OC.

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
Some accept mediocrity and wonder why we're historically so bad.

LOL

The first day of a new history - 10-3!!! Best record in 41 years and that was not by beating a bunch of scrubs. We beat more ranked teams in one year than we have in a long long time.

In fact, mediocrity existed when we threw the ball all over the field and had people praising our passing game. I would prefer not to go back.

LOL

The first day of a new history - 10-3!!! Best record in 41 years and that was not by beating a bunch of scrubs. We beat more ranked teams in one year than we have in a long long time.

In fact, mediocrity existed when we threw the ball all over the field and had people praising our passing game. I would prefer not to go back.
Good point and excellent point. In 1977 we won ten games. That was an excellent team and went undefeated in the SEC. But our passing game was not as good as this years team. We won games with a running, powerful QB and the best defense in the SEC. Our passing game was pretty much non existent..

I was there for most games ,home and away, in 1977,and can tell you first hand, the defense and the power running game won 10 games! Not fancy passing, not that a good passing game is a great complement to an offense, but the foundation to winning football is, strong defense and running attack. Interesting,we had neither for a long time, and didn’t win many games! Coincidence ?

UK wasn't near the top 50 in total offense production.

We were barely 40th in rushing with an all-time rb, a QB with great running ability, and HC that likes to run, run, run, then run from the Wildcat...

Missouri is ranked higher than us in rushing production...Missouri...the team that passed so much Drew Lock became an all-timer statistically...

people like that nice 10-3 in terms of looks and don't bother to dig a little deeper..."10-3 nanananana boo boo...if you criticize Gran your stupid..."

Defense and special teams are why we're 10-3...slightly worse in either one and we're probably 7-5 or 6-6
Well Missouri's genius play callers forgot to get a first down against us in the second half

For Gran to be considered a candidate, first it would have to mean that UGA, Kirby Smart, was seriously considering and interested in Him..

Just because his name is mentioned by someone doesn’t mean he is actually a candidate for the position...

The fact will come out one way or the other if he is or if he ever was a candidate for UGA...

With that said, it is a fact that 10 wins is great and extraordinary but also a fact that the UK offense had back to back seasons finishing extremely badly in total offensive statistics....

Looking at statistics is what losers do...I've heard some tall ones in my day but that my friend, takes the cake.

Taking a fine comb through the details is exactly what everyone who wins in any sport, business, any aspect of life does.

Nick Saban, Tom Brady, The Hoodie, Kobe, Chip Kelly, Peyton Manning, Bezos, Jobs, Tim Cook, Gates, The Oracle, Martin Scorcese, Spielberg, Denzel, Daniel Day Lewis, all the special forces and Seal dudes you hear about who are going on to a successful life post service...and on and on...

They're fine little detail people. Not one of them would look at a 10-3 season and say "Well our D and special teams were really good so we're not going to worry too much about O"

That "good enough" mentality is what gets you 50 plus years of less than mediocre football...
Fans are not head coaches, athletic directors or general managers that must do those evaluations and have the power and responsibilities to make changes where needed. As the saying goes...Stay in your lane. All contemplated changes have to be weighed against the possible alternatives. Fans calling/wishing for someone to leave/be fired have no responsibility for the changes that follow. Beyond that, you have zero knowledge of the command and control that exists within the organization. If Mark Stoops requires that Eddie Gran be conservative in his play calling and your gripe is with conservative play calling then replacing Eddie Gran isn't going to change that dynamic.

I'm all about continuous process improvement. I have managed departments for more than half my life and we are always self-evaluating and looking for ways to do things better. I know where the strong and weak links are in my organization, I know where the decisions are made and who is responsible for those decisions. Without that knowledge any suggestions for changes are simply blindfolded shots at a dartboard.

My question to you is how do you know who is responsible for the calls that you don't like?

Reactions: NewWildcatOrder
It's hard to argue that we're in the best position as a program since forever with Gran on staff. However, our offense has been piss poor for years. We've had three offensive coordinators since Stoops took over. Each one has had issues with the offense being productive. The constant 3 and outs. The constant pocket collapses and QB getting sacked - a lot of times due to the opposing defense loading up and daring us to throw knowing we can't throw it. It's so frustrating to watch.

I don't know what the solution is. I'll leave that to better football minds but if 3 different offensive coordinators can't put even a half way decent offense in place, then just by process of elimination, it may not be the coordinator. Is it the head coach? Is it the players? Is it all of the above? Why do these coordinators come to Kentucky with reputations of having productive offenses and not produce as we expected?

I do know for a fact that we have yet to have a great QB under Stoops. That problem needs to get fixed or we'll definitely just see more of the same. We need a QB that can accurately throw it and not quit under pressure. Johnson had a lot of heart but he wasn't a great QB. Sometimes heart trumps talent and he was a great example of that. Without a great QB, we're one dimensional and easy to defend.

I think we were very fortunate to go 10-3 this year with as bad an offense as we had. If it wasn't for our run game, that wouldn't have happened. But having such an imbalanced team where the offense is constantly coming off the field quickly only tires out the great defense we tend to have. At some point we have to have balance. When and if that occurs, i believe UK can be a constant contender in the SEC and have years like this one more frequently.

LOL

This.

I see you didn't care for being reminded of a instate and as you say choke job. I have been respectful here for years, and we may very well choke it away again the next 3-4 years, but we will be there.
Grumpolddawg:
Please excuse any rude posters you encounter here. As you know, in all segments of society, some people engage their mouths/keyboards BEFORE their brains.

Your posts here have been nothing but consistently respectful and I for one look forward to your comments as you provide us a different perspective from a fellow SEC East Division member and from a university that's ranked among the top 20 publics in the country.

Keep on posting sir.

Reactions: fuzz77
Fans are not head coaches, athletic directors or general managers that must do those evaluations and have the power and responsibilities to make changes where needed. As the saying goes...Stay in your lane. All contemplated changes have to be weighed against the possible alternatives. Fans calling/wishing for someone to leave/be fired have no responsibility for the changes that follow. Beyond that, you have zero knowledge of the command and control that exists within the organization. If Mark Stoops requires that Eddie Gran be conservative in his play calling and your gripe is with conservative play calling then replacing Eddie Gran isn't going to change that dynamic.

I'm all about continuous process improvement. I have managed departments for more than half my life and we are always self-evaluating and looking for ways to do things better. I know where the strong and weak links are in my organization, I know where the decisions are made and who is responsible for those decisions. Without that knowledge any suggestions for changes are simply blindfolded shots at a dartboard.

My question to you is how do you know who is responsible for the calls that you don't like?

My problem is not Passing vs Rushing nor conservative vs aggressive.

My problem is arguing "Well we were a run and ball control offense" when we were ranked 40th in rush and not in the top 50 in time of possession. So the two things we supposedly were good to great at, we were barely just okay in. Nor were we very good on 3rd down conversions. One would think, with a great ground game and a ball-control style offense we would be decent on 3rd down conversions. We weren't in the top 50.

My problem is saying "We don't have the talent to pass" when we had one of the most accurate QBs in CFB, a top tier TE to boot, and Bowden who is one of the more dynamic talents in CFB.

Now, call me crazy but an accurate QB, really talented TE, and a dynamic perimeter talent like Bowden would lead one to believe that the passing game had the talent and potential to be a bit more than what it was. The fact that UK was 116th seems to indicate that game planning, and play calling played a little bit bigger role in the lackluster passing game and overall dismal offense. It's either an outright refusal to pass when passing is warranted, an inability to draw up the right play, or both.

That poor 3rd down conversion percentage seems to indicate an overall lack of situational awareness. If you're not converting on 3rd down with an all-time SEC RB, a top tier TE, a dynamic talent like Bowden, and QB who is not only amongst the most accurate in the nation but mobile as well, then that seems to be more of a reflection on play calling than available talent. Flat out, run or pass, the right plays are not being called.

I don't need to be an insider or have any knowledge of the inner workings of the team as far as coaching relationships go to know what's going on on the field. I see it every game and in the stats.

If Mark Stoops wants to be a run first, ball control offense. Great, he and Eddie need to greatly improve that because the team was not very good in key running and ball control statistics/indicators.

I don't know who's responsible for the calls, and I don't care. I'm saying they need to improve.

Generally speaking, a balanced offense has proven to be successful at all levels. A 40th ranked ground game needs more than a 116th ranked passing game to compliment and even improve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sluggercatfan
My issue is and always has been why can't we get a legitimate QB that can do more than handoff, run, and make short passes in 6 years? Mumme used and brought in high caliber QB's that were surrounded by 2 and 3 star players and had record setting offenses. Brooks brought in a 4 star QB and surrounded him with mostly 2 and 3 star players and we had one of the best offenses in the country. Why do we still have mediocre offenses under Stoops every year when we have had 4 star QB's surrounded by 3 and 4 star players on offense?

If we just had an average offense this year we might have finished the regular season with 11 or 12 wins and could have possibly played for the SEC title and been in the playoff discussion. We still finished 10-3 thankfully with a once in a lifetime defense here at UK. With just an average defense we probably would have been stuck at 6 or 7 wins at best with the offense we ran. It would be nice to not be so one dimensional in the future with just a rushing game and hoping to have a great defense. I just don't see us maintaining this level (9 or more wins) doing what we did this year every year.

By the way, I don't want Gran to leave. I just want us to move toward caring more about the offense than we have the first 6 years.
Mumme came to UK in 96 when Tim Couch was a sophomore; therefore he did not bring him in, he inherited him and had him through 99. After which Mumme's record began to slip badly. GO CATS!!

I like our coaching staff. I like that they are building a solid foundation on offense and defense, and don't have to rebuild every year. The offense is behind the defense at this point; however, when I look at the talent they are bringing in on offense; the expected growth of T. Wilson; the returning OL; the returning RBs; and the improvement I expect to see at WR (would love to see Lee sign with us), I am excited. - Regardless of the stats. GO CATS!!

Reactions: jof2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT