ADVERTISEMENT

Gosh Almighty: I’m Just SO DAMN Proud of the Inefficiency We Have Achieved With Tech Investment.

The rumor is the scanning of iPhone had a lot of glare off the screens and made getting a good bar code scan more time consuming…hence the longer lines to get in

And to make it worse…the guys scanning are older men and not tech savvy guys to boot

I guess this is progress to lower paper tix but they’ve got to figure out how to scan faster. People missed the kickoff due to being in stupid lines to get in
I missed the first score, have 3 tickets, 2 guests, because the regular ticket holders my Son and Daughter in Law could not attend Saturday's game with me. One of guest was late meeting up with us at Gate 9, 11:30 was our scheduled meet time. Well the third member of our group didn't get to G9 until about 11:55, by then the lines were so long, and several couples (two of which were definitely younger than I) could not FIND their tickets on their iPhones, and had to turn away and do the walk of shame back towards the Parking Lots. I of course had no problems there. My Daughter in Law emailed them to me several weeks ago (they come to her email) and I handed my phone to my Son at the time of the emailing, and he took the emailed tickets from email and put them in the "Wallet" app on my iphone, otherwise I too would have had to do the walk of shame back to the Parking Lots. I gotta admit tho I still felt a lot of pride being able to open the Wallet App, tap on the ticket, and shuffle then one at a time thru the scanner, I looked like a Pro instead of the "66 yr old out of touch with technology" that I really am. It was m y pre-planning that saved the day tho (had Son and Daughter in Law handle most of the technology, I mean I still had to open the App and present the tickets to the scanner didn't I) worked out pretty good, just the next timegotta get that 2nd guest to learn how to be on time, but hey he's only in his early 20's.

I missed the first score, have 3 tickets, 2 guests, because the regular ticket holders my Son and Daughter in Law could not attend Saturday's game with me. One of guest was late meeting up with us at Gate 9, 11:30 was our scheduled meet time. Well the third member of our group didn't get to G9 until about 11:55, by then the lines were so long, and several couples (two of which were definitely younger than I) could not FIND their tickets on their iPhones, and had to turn away and do the walk of shame back towards the Parking Lots. I of course had no problems there. My Daughter in Law emailed them to me several weeks ago (they come to her email) and I handed my phone to my Son at the time of the emailing, and he took the emailed tickets from email and put them in the "Wallet" app on my iphone, otherwise I too would have had to do the walk of shame back to the Parking Lots. I gotta admit tho I still felt a lot of pride being able to open the Wallet App, tap on the ticket, and shuffle then one at a time thru the scanner, I looked like a Pro instead of the "66 yr old out of touch with technology" that I really am. It was m y pre-planning that saved the day tho (had Son and Daughter in Law handle most of the technology, I mean I still had to open the App and present the tickets to the scanner didn't I) worked out pretty good, just the next timegotta get that 2nd guest to learn how to be on time, but hey he's only in his early 20's.
One of the first things I learned in the USN back in 1975. If you're 5 minutes early, you're 5 minutes late. A guide that stuck with me and has served me well.

Last edited:
The rumor is the scanning of iPhone had a lot of glare off the screens and made getting a good bar code scan more time consuming…hence the longer lines to get in

And to make it worse…the guys scanning are older men and not tech savvy guys to boot

I guess this is progress to lower paper tix but they’ve got to figure out how to scan faster. People missed the kickoff due to being in stupid lines to get in
As an elder advocate, I can say that, without a doubt, the problem is NOT the age of the gentlemen assisting with the electronic tickets. Unless there is an issue with a specific gentleman having diagnosable cognitive impairment, it does not take a tech-savvy individual to hold a gadget and point it at a fixed, waist-high device. My experience working with the old timers is that they have better attention to detail, are less likely to get distracted, take a lot of pride in what they do, and are more likely to be courteous and pleasant.

Reactions: Lamar Card
Forty years ago, I walked into a stadium with a paper ticket, one-fourth of which was a perforated, detachable section, and a sixty-year-old man forcefully rendered asunder the two portions by tearing the smaller end off, placing it into a smal trash can located conveniently.

Ten years ago, I had a paper ticket without perforations but with a bold, bar code located near the bottom, and a sixty year old man pointed a small hand-held device emitting a slender red “lazer-like” light, that when properly aimed at the bar code on my ticket, emitted a pleasant “beep,” which (we all assumed) meant “let this SOB in.”

The last 4 years, we have had our tickets on our I-phones, with our “UK Ticket-Master Ap,” installed . . . . we fumbled and bumbled as we limped toward the stadium, nervously glancing about looking for someone less than 40 should we need need tech advise at the last second, finally managing to open our I-phone “wallet,” we expose a square bar code, a 70 year old man (yes, he too has aged) points a hand-held device at our hand-held device, it emits a “ping.” which, again, all involved assume means, “let the b@st@rds through.”

Yesterday, my 68 year old brother and I (now 60) fumble with his I-phone, open his wallet to our bar codes, approach a 73 year old man (yeah) with nary a device in his hand, who assists by taking the I-phone and pointing it to a fixed, waist-high devise, which stands on it own. It emits an arguably pleasant sound, satisfying all.

And this only took, perhaps 15 seconds, roughly doubling the amount of time it once took a sixty year old man to tear a perforated paper ticket, back when Jerry Claiborne coached football, and I was trying to figure out how to make a Commodore 64 and 20 year-old girls emit a pleasant sound.

We’ve come so far!!

We now boldly go (slowly) and stand in line, where none have stood in line before!!
l had no trouble getting 20 year girls to emit pleasant sounds. When I would come near, they would point and giggle.

If you get there at a decent time then you don't have to worry about it. It's really not that difficult. No hurt butt replies needed.

Just be earlier is about the most ass hat reply ever . You shouldn't have to compensate for the idiocy of the system , unless you dont mind crappy products and results . And my butt is fine . What happens when everyone is there " at a decent time" So damn glad the guy above sets the rules !!

Not a fan of the digital tickets. Everyone has to be with me now to enter. Forget transferring tickets at the tailgate. Not possible with the poor cell signal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT