ADVERTISEMENT

Goodman rips Cal over Cam Fletcher

Well you pretty much have to address it because everyone is going to notice he isn’t with the team. Not much of an alternative because all kinds of speculative theories would’ve been thrown out. It’s better to get out in front of stuff.

maybe. But there has been a lot of stuff not directly/publicly addressed like this.
Im not disagreeing with the decision or sentiment - just second guessing how publicly it was laid out.
Coaches typically don’t try to get out in front of these type stories. They try to throw water on em.

It’s hard for me to say one way or the other on the situation with Fletcher. To much is unknown for me to say who was in the wrong or right. I think things should be kept in house but if I knew what happened I may feel completely different about it.

Rumors are out there that Cal is having trouble out of multiple players including Clarke who talks back to Cal.

Difference being Clarke is a 5 star on the draft board where Fletcher is not.
Fletcher did issue a public apology and was still shown the door.
Maybe by using Fletcher as his whipping boy Cal feels as if he can show his prized players he means business!

Rumors are out there that Cal is having trouble out of multiple players including Clarke who talks back to Cal.

Difference being Clarke is a 5 star on the draft board where Fletcher is not.
Fletcher did issue a public apology and was still shown the door.
Maybe by using Fletcher as his whipping boy Cal feels as if he can show his prized players he means business!
I seen Kyle Tuckers article that Cal was in a power struggle with players on this team. I hope that all gets worked out

Cal:
Cam’ron needs to go back home and gather himself, get his priorities straight.

Cal Haters:
Cal needs to look out for the players best interests.

Cal Haters:
Cal needs to stop pushing these kids out the door to the NBA.

I personally don’t see anything wrong with what Cal said. If he had kept it all under wraps, people would be hounding him for the truth on the issue. It’s a lose lose situation. And is there a more punchable face in all of sports than Jeff Goodman or Grayson Allen?

It’s a team of young smart ass AAU players but who recruited them? It’s solely Calipari’s responsibility. Did anyone see Askew yelling back at Flint? I’ve seen several from this team with obvious attitude issue.

All on the guy rerouting them.

It won’t get better as long as we throw darts at a top 25 dart board and don’t properly evaluate. Cal is taking whatever he can get in these ranks to simply recruit kids that have NBA measurements.

Goodman is a tool looking for clicks. All beside the point couldn’t care less.

before the start of this season. with covid related restrictions on recruiting. much talk was made on how Cal was reenergized and more focused on this team. can't help to notice his appearance and actions haven't reflected as such. I don't even recall seeing that shit eating grin every now and then. I know a 1-5 start will have an effect on any coach, but I'm talking before the season start. makes me wonder if Cal has some personal issues going on.

Reactions: The Real Hatfield
maybe. But there has been a lot of stuff not directly/publicly addressed like this.
Im not disagreeing with the decision or sentiment - just second guessing how publicly it was laid out.
Coaches typically don’t try to get out in front of these type stories. They try to throw water on em.
Not really. You can’t ignore a player that’s not on the bench. You can keep quiet about a player’s lack of playing time for whatever reason (poor practice habits, grades, discipline, injury, etc.), but you can’t just ignore a missing player. It’s going to be pretty obvious and it has to be addressed.

When I was coaching, I would tell my players that stuff happens in every game, whether with the umpires, other players, coaches, just stuff is going to happen. No matter what happens, it is always your response that everyone will focus on. The center of what happen will be lost in your response.
For Coach Cal to react the way he did, tells me there is much more to this than we may know. Could it have been the "tipping" point for Coach Cal? For all we know, Coach Cal could have been protecting this player up to that moment and just felt he was the center of distraction on the team.
Who knows, but I sure feel there is more to this than we know.

Reactions: Girthang
For cal to be this angry and Fletcher, he must have slept with one of his daughters Lol

Not really. You can’t ignore a player that’s not on the bench. You can keep quiet about a player’s lack of playing time for whatever reason (poor practice habits, grades, discipline, injury, etc.), but you can’t just ignore a missing player. It’s going to be pretty obvious and it has to be addressed.

“Cam is taking time away from the team to consider his plans and future.”

It could have been- and usually is - that simple.

There's only one reason Jeff did this piece. He needs money.
I didn't watch the video and I probably won't. I'm sure he makes good points, but I know he's just looking for hits, so it ain't worth my time.
Like you I don’t waste my time on these pundits. They will say anything to generate clicks.

Fletcher and Allen should transfer they will probably will not get to play at UK.
All they have to do is look at Matthews, Juzang and Baker and see that life for players of their caliber is far better elsewhere. They will have to wait until they are seniors to get any real PT and by that time, they're too old and nobody at the next level wants them.

Baker had to sit behind nba prospects for two years. He'd get in the game, miss a shot and never see the court again. Now he's out in Arizona scoring big points for an even crappier coach.

Cal is too busy trying to prepare AAU players for the NBA to waste his time on non first round kids.

Prove me wrong.

“Cam is taking time away from the team to consider his plans and future.”

It could have been- and usually is - that simple.
And then 90% of people would complain that something is being hidden and that Cal is not being forthcoming. You know how this works. Everyone does. Look at the Brooks situation. There’s theory after theory on his situation just on this board alone. The best route is always honesty. Always. Honesty doesn’t come back to bite you in the ass.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
All they have to do is look at Matthews, Juzang and Baker and see that life for players of their caliber is far better elsewhere. They will have to wait until they are seniors to get any real PT and by that time, they're too old and nobody at the next level wants them.

Baker had to sit behind nba prospects for two years. He'd get in the game, miss a shot and never see the court again. Now he's out in Arizona scoring big points for an even crappier coach.

Cal is too busy trying to prepare AAU players for the NBA to waste his time on non first round kids.

Prove me wrong.
There’s definitely some truth to this. There’s zero doubt Cal gives a longer leash to certain players. I’m sure that doesn’t sit well with those who aren’t given that latitude. It’s human nature to notice and resent preferential treatment when it negatively impacts you. Common sense.

Reactions: Girthang and KFuqua
And then 90% of people would complain that something is being hidden and that Cal is not being forthcoming. You know how this works. Everyone does.
So what? Let them complain.

That’s how we’ve handle these situations in the past. Just release some vague statement along the lines of the player is taking leave for personal reasons, then fans complain and speculate about it, until the issue passes and we find something else to complain about.

But this time Cal handled it differently. I wonder why ...do you think it might have something to do with 1-5?

Last edited:
This is the first time Cal has thrown a player under the bus like this. This is the first time Cal has been one and five. These things occurred at the same time

So what? Let them complain.

That’s how we’ve handle these situations in the past. Just release some vague statement to the public along the lines of the player is taking leave for personal reasons, then we complain about it on our message boards, until the issue passes and we find something else to complain about.

But this time Cal handled it differently. I wonder why ...do you think it might have something to do with 1-5?
None of us know for sure. I would say it has a lot to do with repeated problems from Fletcher. It was made clear that the bench situation is one of several issues with him. You lie in the bed you make. And no, I don’t want some vague bullshit statement. All that does is breed discontent. Let facts be facts.

And no, I don’t want some vague bullshit statement. All that does is breed discontent. Let facts be facts.

A vague statement will only “breed discontent” with fans who want to know more ...but we quickly get over it.

Whereas a more specific statement, such as Cal’s here, can breed discontent within the actual team, and can do real lasting damage to a kid’s reputation.

Which kind of discontent do you think is worse?

There’s definitely some truth to this. There’s zero doubt Cal gives a longer leash to certain players. I’m sure that doesn’t sit well with those who aren’t given that latitude. It’s human nature to notice and resent preferential treatment when it negatively impacts you. Common sense.
Drew Franklin and Ryan Lemond were sitting 5' behind the UK bench in that E8 game against Auburn. They have said repeatedly that Cal went off on Baker after he fouled the 3 point shooter. They said Cal yelled some of the nastiest things at a player that they've ever heard.

2 minutes later, Herro did the same thing. But he didn't get the same treatment

Allen simply missed a three pointer against KU. Cal yelled out "I CAN'T PLAY YOU, GET OUT". Meanwhile, Boston is shooting a cool crisp 21% from 3 point range.

Baker, Juzang and Matthews didn't transfer for no reason.

It was very uncharacteristic for Cal to throw a kid under the bus like this. In the past he’s covered up for players in these situations.

But a lot of his comments this week just seem designed to divert attention away from himself. “Hey, look how bad ESPN is, let’s blame them. Look how bad Cam’ron Fletcher is, let’s blame him. Look how successful and how much money all my NBA players are making, ain’t that great?”

He’s talking about quite a few things, but none of them involve admitting that he’s done a crappy job this year.

Couldn’t have said it better. Hadn’t really set back and thought about what Cal had been saying. Usually don’t pay attention. He talks so much that I just quit listening. But what you say makes sense. It also describes a Narcissistic personality. And I’m not trying to be funny.

So this is was a solid move to dump on an 18 yr ok’d?
Yes sir. He didn’t dump on anyone. Look, you can make your points on how you feel without doing what you are trying to do here. No one took a dump on anyone. Kid cried on the bench and walked out before the game was over. Obviously more going on as well with Cam. In middle school I would have been kicked off the team for doing that. Cal supposed to tolerate it because the fans are pissed about W’s right now? You make no sense.

Goodman's a jackass. Cals's dealt with some crap from players behind the scenes that we never ever hear about it. He's always deflected the media away from them. This is different. Clearly a power struggle going on and what Cam did, I don't blame Cal one bit.
Right. I've been highly critical of Cal in many areas from roster management, slow paste offense to his coachspeak with the media. But in this instance, Cal managed this the right way. If Cam was being an ass and dividing the team then Cal needed to lay the law down and show these lil punks who's in charge. Kudos to Cal.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
And then 90% of people would complain that something is being hidden and that Cal is not being forthcoming. You know how this works. Everyone does. Look at the Brooks situation. There’s theory after theory on his situation just on this board alone. The best route is always honesty. Always. Honesty doesn’t come back to bite you in the ass.

you are right -but such is the life of a college coach.
If you think “honesty is the best policy” - you would be disappointed in Cal and virtually every other coach across the country - all of whom either dilute or withhold information for the purposes of protecting players and program. Cal usually does this to an extreme. This was a departure, and I think a mistake. But that’s just my opinion.

A vague statement will only “breed discontent” with fans who want to know more ...but we quickly get over it.

Whereas a more specific statement, such as Cal’s here, can breed discontent within the actual team, and can do real lasting damage to a kid’s reputation.

Which kind of discontent do you think is worse?
What far too many fail to realize is the program belongs to the fans. It always has and always will if it wants to remain relevant. The fanbase drives all programs, especially this one. It’s what sets it apart. Alienate and piss off the fanbase and you are doomed. That’s the bottom line. These players need to realize it’s not all about them. Cal needs to realize that as well. Sports are entertainment, pure and simple. When it stops being entertaining, when the patients start running the nuthouse, and when the store owner ignores his customers, things go south very quickly.

So this is was a solid move to dump on an 18 yr ok’d?

Based on Cal's track record of hiding issues with players and taking the heat, I'd say it's safe to assume this is a really bad situation.

Dumping on a 18 year old kid? You are assuming he's not given the kid any chance or has been dealing with things over the last few weeks and he's just doing this cold heartedly, at some point the kid needs to be held accountable vs. continuing to let poor behavior (that affects the entire team) go by with no repercussions...this is parenting 101

Reactions: BourbonBalz
Sadly I agree with Goodman on this one

WHAAAAT!!? Now even GOODMAN has turned on Calipari !?

I'm still waiting for the 1 good comment about Cal that usually comes every 200 backhanded comments from Goofman. Dude drinks from the same tit as Tipton, but has some rage issues to make Tipton look kind.

Seriously, why does anyone in KY EVER listen to or read his bs? He's not original nor insightful. He's like an old calendar. Why use it just because it may get a couple months right every 5-7 years?

Reactions: Mulder14
What far too many fail to realize is the program belongs to the fans. It always has and always will if it wants to remain relevant. The fanbase drives all programs, especially this one. It’s what sets it apart. Alienate and piss off the fanbase and you are doomed. That’s the bottom line. These players need to realize it’s not all about them. Cal needs to realize that as well. Sports are entertainment, pure and simple. When it stops being entertaining, when the patients start running the nuthouse, and when the store owner ignores his customers, things go south very quickly.

Maybe.

Maybe fans need to realize it's not all about them either. Pretty sure nothing public is all about one person or group.

Cal's shtick is worn out on me. I like him ok, i just don't care to listen to him deflect and shovel anymore. He might be a superstar coach one day. It's not impossible. I'm just not holding my breath.

He could get this season going the right way again. I'll find out a couple games later than everyone else will. I've gone from attending ffs and socializing/entertaining every game from Pitino through Gillettespy to watching the games on dvr (maybe) as Cal has been here. So what.

I'm not gonna call for his head. I'm just one person who wants a team and a coach with a heart for every aspect of the game. I don't think that's Cal.

The UK job changes people, though. It can bring out their worst. While it can hide their flaws for a little bit, it eventually exposes them in a big way. Some coaches run away and some dig in and double down for a while.

We'll see what Cal is made of the rest of this season. It's not lookin good right now, tho

Drew Franklin and Ryan Lemond were sitting 5' behind the UK bench in that E8 game against Auburn. They have said repeatedly that Cal went off on Baker after he fouled the 3 point shooter. They said Cal yelled some of the nastiest things at a player that they've ever heard.

2 minutes later, Herro did the same thing. But he didn't get the same treatment

Allen simply missed a three pointer against KU. Cal yelled out "I CAN'T PLAY YOU, GET OUT". Meanwhile, Boston is shooting a cool crisp 21% from 3 point range.

Baker, Juzang and Matthews didn't transfer for no reason.

Well put.

Willis was one tough kid to stick it out here. Js. Those are the kids I really appreciate. I don't blame the others for transferring, but I really do appreciate the kids for whom the program means more than the guy temporarily running it.

Cal is basically Tubby, or where Tubby was mentally/emotionally speaking. Full of his own self worth and omnipotence. I know there are differences in recruiting and charitable giving, but in the end they are very much the same towards their players and stubborn in the way they coach only certain things and certain people.

WHAAAAT!!? Now even GOODMAN has turned on Calipari !?

I'm still waiting for the 1 good comment about Cal that usually comes every 200 backhanded comments from Goofman. Dude drinks from the same tit as Tipton, but has some rage issues to make Tipton look kind.

Seriously, why does anyone in KY EVER listen to or read his bs? He's not original nor insightful. He's like an old calendar. Why use it just because it may get a couple months right every 5-7 years?
😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT