ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga

And yet still, 3 months from now:

Why is Gonzaga a 1 seed? Who have they beat. They're in the WCC. They don't have to fight through the Vanderbilt, Georgia, Mississippi State gauntlet like we do.

Reactions: TheOtherGreatOne

Why is Gonzaga a 1 seed? Who have they beat. They're in the WCC. They don't have to fight through the Vanderbilt, Georgia, Mississippi State gauntlet like we do.

Without looking.. im gonna guess Gonzaga hasn't played the 11th and 7th ranked teams in their OOC in the last decade. This is an much harder schedule than they normally play.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Without looking.. im gonna guess Gonzaga hasn't played the 11th and 7th ranked teams in their OOC in the last decade. This is an much harder schedule than they normally play.
In the 18-19 season Gonzaga played #1 Duke, #7 Tennessee, and #12 UNC. Plus Texas A&M, Arizona, Illinois, Washington and Creighton.

Reactions: bluegoad72
They definitely benefit from a double standard come selection Sunday. But they've been a better program than us recently. And i like that, unlike at Kentucky, they don’t have to suck in November and December to be good in March.

Reactions: JerseyCat84
I would say that you liked Kansas to beat them. I would also say that you picked West Virginia to beat them too, so your predictions don't mean shit sir.

Never commented on them prior to today. I didn't say Kansas would beat them. Only thing I said about Kansas was that I thought they weren't very good and played a horrible game against UK last night and was an embarrassing loss for Kentucky. I think Zags are very good and good bet for Final Four. Just what I saw the other night from Baylor, I like them more at this point. Could be wrong.

Reactions: john19 and track42
I would say that you liked Kansas to beat them. I would also say that you picked West Virginia to beat them too, so your predictions don't mean shit sir.
[/

Does it offend you that anyone thinks any team could possibly beat the mighty zags?

In the 18-19 season Gonzaga played #1 Duke, #7 Tennessee, and #12 UNC. Plus Texas A&M, Arizona, Illinois, Washington and Creighton.

I meant to say, including what's left. Iowa and Baylor.

So far, it looks like 2, 3, 6 and 11 is the hardest they played. (without going too deep into the non ranked teams). That 18-19 season is the only one close, really. I am a little surprised they had harder OOC schedules than I thought, so I stand corrected there.

Reactions: TheOtherGreatOne
Gonzaga isn’t messing around with their schedule. Nobody can say a word about who they played this year.

Already beat #6 and 11 plus Auburn. Play #2 Baylor Saturday and #3 Iowa in 2 weeks.

Gonzaga isn’t messing around with their schedule. Nobody can say a word about who they played this year.

Already beat #6 and 11 plus Auburn. Play #2 Baylor Saturday and #3 Iowa in 2 weeks.

I agree with you but including auburn as a win worth mention this year is hilarious. They were picked to finish dead last in the sec BEFORE the stuff with cooper hit the media.

I meant to say, including what's left. Iowa and Baylor.

So far, it looks like 2, 3, 6 and 11 is the hardest they played. (without going too deep into the non ranked teams). That 18-19 season is the only one close, really. I am a little surprised they had harder OOC schedules than I thought, so I stand corrected there.
Probably fair. I think it was way easier to schedule great matchups this season too. No worrying about home and homes and what other teams need to get a game in. Literally every team just started from scratch on their scheduling a few months ago.

But regardless, they do schedule aggressively in OOC and its gotten even better lately.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Probably fair. I think it was way easier to schedule great matchups this season too. No worrying about home and homes and what other teams need to get a game in. Literally every team just started from scratch on their scheduling a few months ago.

But regardless, they do schedule aggressively in OOC and its gotten even better lately.

I imagine they're trying to counter the stigma that they don't have a tough schedule. Because when it does come to their Conference games, it's really just St. Mary's. And they don't appear like the St Mary's of the last decade.

They definitely benefit from a double standard come selection Sunday. But they've been a better program than us recently. And i like that, unlike at Kentucky, they don’t have to suck in November and December to be good in March.
Misplaced comma my fellow cat fan

Reactions: Montana81
I agree with you but including auburn as a win worth mention this year is hilarious. They were picked to finish dead last in the sec BEFORE the stuff with cooper hit the media.

Yeah, no they weren’t.

Reactions: Montana81
Because when it does come to their Conference games, it's really just St. Mary's. And they don't appear like the St Mary's of the last decade.

Definitely. Gotta try building up their resume some and scheduling some better teams like they'll face in the later rounds of the NCAA Tournament so they don't just mostly waltz through a conference that won't challenge them for the most part outside of maybe the occasional game here and there where they aren't on their 'A' game and their opponent plays the best it can.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I imagine they're trying to counter the stigma that they don't have a tough schedule. Because when it does come to their Conference games, it's really just St. Mary's. And they don't appear like the St Mary's of the last decade.
The WCC is improving, but so is Gonzaga. St. Mary's used to really challenge them. But now the St. Mary's wins are few and far between, yet they are still a good program. Last year, Gonzaga, BYU and St. Mary's were all going to the tourney. And Byu was going to be a top 4 seed.

I'm seeing more depth out of the WCC this year with USF and Pepperdine. USF has a win over Virginia and Pepperdine just took UCLA to 3OT. But St. Mary's and BYU won't be as good as they were last year. I think you'll end up with just BYU making the tourney this year along with GU obviously.

So they are the regular season champs? Lol. Cause they sure aren't winning any titles.
Won't beat us in March either

So they are the regular season champs? Lol. Cause they sure aren't winning any titles.
Won't beat us in March either

Well, we haven’t won shit in March in nearly a decade either. And we’ve only been “regular season champs“ once ourselves.

Gotta give it to Few. He navigated the new college basketball scene flawlessly. All of the blue bloods went all in on one and dones (especially UK and Duke) while Gonzaga is still building cohesive units filled with experienced talent sprinkled in with a one and done here and there. Few built what most UK fans have been begging Cal to build. There’s a chance the Zags could run the table this year.

Yet those teams still have more talent/better athletes than all but maybe 2 teams in the WCC. I've done research on this, and I believe the SEC in recent years is 2nd only to the ACC in signing 4/5 star talent, and coaching is also pretty decent.

Definitely easier to win with the talent gap Gonzaga faces in that conference.

BYU st Mary's and now San Fran are all pretty solid teams this year. It's not like they aren't gonna be tested some at least in those games

Gotta give it to Few. He navigated the new college basketball scene flawlessly. All of the blue bloods went all in on one and dones (especially UK and Duke) while Gonzaga is still building cohesive units filled with experienced talent sprinkled in with a one and done here and there. Few built what most UK fans have been begging Cal to build. There’s a chance the Zags could run the table this year.

I would kill for mark few to coach Kentucky quite frankly

Reactions: CalipariCapo
BYU st Mary's and now San Fran are all pretty solid teams this year. It's not like they aren't gonna be tested some at least in those games

Pump the breaks on San Fran. Outside of beating Virginia, they’ve lost to Rhode Island by double digits and Umass-Lowell

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT