ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

I recently figured something out that was so simple to implement. When I go over the top, it's because I rotate too far and don't have time to get my lower body in place and my fast hands just take over from there and it's gone.

I've kept with a slow takaway but now as soon as my chin touches my shoulder, I start my downswing. It's kept me from lifting up and coming OTT. It's also helping me keep my balance so less fatties.
That's really an excellent tip. I've always noticed that when I shorten my backswing I tend to hit more draws. Getting my hands around has been a problem with my driver but I just ordered a new driver with an R shaft instead of Stiff. Should help me get back on track. I used to hit my driver 270-290 and it's dropped into the 230s for some reason, and I think it's because I switched to a S shaft.

I will tell you who makes a very good, underrated golf ball, Slazenger. I probably have 8-10 in my bag. Mostly play the Calloway Chrome and what I buy most, but I ain't mad at using a Slazenger.

Last edited:

Maybe the outside the box, not in the club type of guy will be a fit. I guess Jordan will be an assistant.

^^^ Typical Beall/Ryan column, who will throw as many digs as possible towards anything PGA tour related, but still a few "nice" things to say to keep it from appearing one sided. Were this a PGAT vs. LIV event, they would have their "Aces" hats on immediately.

^^^ Typical Beall/Ryan column, who will throw as many digs as possible towards anything PGA tour related, but still a few "nice" things to say to keep it from appearing one sided. Were this a PGAT vs. LIV event, they would have their "Aces" hats on immediately.
It was a pro and con article, not sure how you could find fault in one guy saying its a good idea and one saying its a bad idea. Par for the course with you though.

It was a pro and con article, not sure how you could find fault in one guy saying its a good idea and one saying its a bad idea. Par for the course with you though.

Which is exactly what I said....

who will throw as many digs as possible towards anything PGA tour related, but still a few "nice" things to say to keep it from appearing one sided.

Sorry I didn't keep it on a See Spot Run level for you, as you always fail at reading comprehension.

Funny how you never responded to my post about your own complete and total failure in reading comprehension on a different thread, yet here you are on your BS with other people about it once again.
🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: cawoodsct

who will throw as many digs as possible towards anything PGA tour related, but still a few "nice" things to say to keep it from appearing one sided.

Sorry I didn't keep it on a See Spot Run level for you, as you always fail at reading comprehension.
About as fair and balanced article as you can get, yet you complain. Par for your course.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.

No you are insinuating they are one sided, but say things just to not look one sided. You do not even know the BS you post sometimes. You just have to be that contrary asshole in EVERY thread, no matter the topic.

In Florence for work and tried out the World of Golf. It’s not much but it’s fun. Was 3 under after 5 holes and finished the front 9 1 over.

Ordered a new Bagboy bag. Saw one at Golf HQ and loved it. Found a better design for $30 less on eBay.

-ProV1x is the best ball there is for overall performance tee to green. I love putting the triple track though.

In Florence for work and tried out the World of Golf. It’s not much but it’s fun. Was 3 under after 5 holes and finished the front 9 1 over.

Ordered a new Bagboy bag. Saw one at Golf HQ and loved it. Found a better design for $30 less on eBay.

-ProV1x is the best ball there is for overall performance tee to green. I love putting the triple track though.
In terms of golf bags mine have gotten smaller through the years.

Got a short game pro demonstration while walking scorer for the ISCO yesterday.

Was in the group with Josh Teater and Scotland's Russell Knox (really nice guy, by the way) and a huge guy from South Africa named Kriswyck (not sure of spelling). They were all good dudes, had an enjoyable day with them.

Anyway, Knox barely saw the fairway all day, but still shot a 68. On three straight holes (12-14), he either severely short sided himself, or left it way short of the green. In sum, was in jail three straight holes . . . and was -1 on those three. 🤣 Got 2 up and down and chipped in for birdie on the third.

Felt bad for Teater, had 50 or 60 family and friends following him, including Nick Mingione, and missed the cut by one. Caught a terrible break on #9 (our last hole) when his tee shot plugged and almost buried about 4 inches from the lip of the greenside bunker, and about all you could see of his ball was the numeral. His bunker shot barely got out the sand, then missed his 3rd shot to miss the cut by one.

The scores are ridiculously low. We have had very little rain in weeks, so the rough is a non-factor unless you get really unlucky, and the ball is rolling on the fairways a long way. On Thursday, I was with Daniel Berger (US Ryder Cup team in 2021) whose drive on #5 was measured at 380. As an aside, Berger could not putt for jack squat and did not come close to making the cut.

Reactions: parrott
Shocked cut was -8. Feel bad for Teater it was -4, then -5. I go to Reds game and look at leaderboard at midnight and I was stunned it got to -8. Not sure I’ve seen a -8 in my life. I know he thought he made it by 1,2

Shocked cut was -8. Feel bad for Teater it was -4, then -5. I go to Reds game and look at leaderboard at midnight and I was stunned it got to -8. Not sure I’ve seen a -8 in my life. I know he thought he made it by 1,2
Was lowest in PGA history

Looked at the website and Hurstbourne CC measures 300 yards shorter than Champions. Surely they will have to build additional tees like we did or the pros will shoot forty under

-8 cutline is the highest EVER in a PGA event. Not a great cosign to keep the event there. No elite players in the field and still set the highest score under par cutline in history. They gone.

Was lowest in PGA history

Looked at the website and Hurstbourne CC measures 300 yards shorter than Champions. Surely they will have to build additional tees like we did or the pros will shoot forty under

Distance is irrelevant between the two courses if the course is fast. Hurstbourne is a tougher course in general.

Champions held up pretty well....fairways and greens were great. Shocked that rough around the greens did not have any water applied or very little, as this affected quite a few chips off the hardpan.

Galleries were sad, even yesterday. Cawood and I were the only 2 people on a few holes early afternoon, of course, we had ventured quite a ways from the drop off. TV shots for the leaders showed the same, however.

Marshals...if the tourney ever comes back here, they have to do something to get more people. Tee boxes w/ no marshals, no one watching hazards near greens or potential areas that balls could get lost in, half a dozen marshals congregating on greens w/ 10 fans, etc.

I know the heat affected things, however, the tourney in general here has lost it's luster, and there are very little promo's of the event. It will be interesting to see how Louisville runs a second tier event next year.

Distance is irrelevant between the two courses if the course is fast. Hurstbourne is a tougher course in general.

Champions held up pretty well....fairways and greens were great. Shocked that rough around the greens did not have any water applied or very little, as this affected quite a few chips off the hardpan.

Galleries were sad, even yesterday. Cawood and I were the only 2 people on a few holes early afternoon, of course, we had ventured quite a ways from the drop off. TV shots for the leaders showed the same, however.

Marshals...if the tourney ever comes back here, they have to do something to get more people. Tee boxes w/ no marshals, no one watching hazards near greens or potential areas that balls could get lost in, half a dozen marshals congregating on greens w/ 10 fans, etc.

I know the heat affected things, however, the tourney in general here has lost it's luster, and there are very little promo's of the event. It will be interesting to see how Louisville runs a second tier event next year.

There definitely was a lack of enthusiasm this year, probably because everyone knew it was the last event. Heat was insufferable over the weekend, my wife and I only stuck it out for a couple of hours yesterday. After walking on Wed-Friday and attending for a few hours Saturday, I was beat, did not have the heart to walk much at all.

Champions played over par for the weekend, if you take out the par 5s (two of which should be par 4s). But having been to Valhalla in May and now the ISCO, I have come to the conclusion that the modern pros just hit the ball out of sight, and unless you make a course ridiculously difficult, e.g., US Open or British Open with bad weather, there are not many courses that can stand up to 325+ yard drives and 180 yard 7 irons which is nearly a given for most of the younger pros. It will take WAY under par to win almost any pro tournament these days.

For the first time though, I got to watch it live on TV. Say what you will about the course and the overall tournament, we produced an exciting finish every year, never had a single tournament where anyone won by more than a shot, and three times ended in playoffs, including the crazy 5 way deal last night. Thought Hall played the best this week and deserved to win, but I would like to see him try to make that chip again over the hog's back on #9. 🤣 Conversely, Coody barely looked at his attempt and hit a pitiful shot. Weird. Kid has a LOT of game though, I expect to see him on TV soon.

Reactions: parrott
Randoms post Scotland:
- An amazing country for golfers. Simply magical.
- The Old Course is an unforgettable experience to play, and to just hang out around and watch.
- A different type of golf style, but not the end of the world for hackers.
- Wind and rain are indeed the courses number one protection. Wind changes everything.
- Doesn't take much to spend a lot of money on Swag.
- 90% of bad scores on holes had something to do with my caddy. Give me a forecaddie in the future.

- Food was unexpectedly excellent.
- Lagers and Scotch's were excellent.
- Lassies looked very good as well. Not sure if they were all from Scotland, but the scenery was excellent.
- Not even close to being a third world country, but wow, I have seen much better roads up EKY hollers.
- Must not have much criminal activity, cuz I never saw a police officer the entire time I was there.
- Everything smaller. Hotel rooms have 2 single beds for adults.
- Elevators might hold 3 adult men.
- Pint is better than 12 ounces

If you are a golfer, don't ever pass up a trip to Scotland.

Champions played over par for the weekend, if you take out the par 5s (two of which should be par 4s). But having been to Valhalla in May and now the ISCO, I have come to the conclusion that the modern pros just hit the ball out of sight, and unless you make a course ridiculously difficult, e.g., US Open or British Open with bad weather, there are not many courses that can stand up to 325+ yard drives and 180 yard 7 irons which is nearly a given for most of the younger pros. It will take WAY under par to win almost any pro tournament these days.

WAY under par is an exaggeration....lol. -12 to -16 for example, is fairly normal. Sure, you get the 20 something under, but when you get the hard and fast conditions, then you will have low scores. These guys are that good.

Scottie's scoring avg this year is 68.48
Rory's scoring avg 10 years ago was 68.8.
Tiger's stupid 2000 year he was 67.8

Overall scoring has barely changed.

Courses have been lengthened to the point of stupidity, and now they want to roll the ball back. People are too caught up in distance when strategic changes to course designs will offset a lot of that. Simply put....make courses harder and make the golfers hit tougher shots.

Contract or no contract, pro's are gonna hit the best driver for their game....there isn't a "best driver" to fit all. Scottie and Rory both use the TM Qi10, for example, and they are probably the two best off the tee in the world for distance/accuracy combined. You will also see at times a pro who has a contract w/ a company for logo only, and they will have a Titleist headcover on another brand's driver.

Here is the driver used for each winner so far this year....

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-every-winning-driver-2024-season
A lot depends on if you want to draw it, fade it, hit it straight, mainly concerned with distance, mainly concerned with accuracy/consistency, what your swing speed is, and other factors, many of which are different for most of us compared to a pro.

Finally got off my ass and got productive during my summer off. Built myself a golf net. Had a bunch of 2x6s and 2x4s lying around the garage. Got the net with a golf mat and some carabiners included for $25 shipped from Temu. The crossbar is the rail for a barn door assembly I also had lying around the garage. Yeah it's a little chunky but I'm more interested in form over function. I'll dress it up as I go. I thought about using PVC pipe but damn that stuff is expensive these days. It would have cost me $100 in pipe alone.

I wanted to build it so I could disassemble it and put it away in the garage since it rains so much here in Florida. It's three pieces and it's very lightweight to carry.

I have some canvas tarp lying around so I'm probably going to cut and paint a target which will also protect the net from real golf balls. I'm using foam ones atm.

Here are some pics. It works great!

IMG-4669.jpg

IMG-4673.jpg

IMG-4672.jpg

IMG-4671.jpg

IMG-4670.jpg

IMG-4674.jpg

Finally shot under par last Saturday. 67 (-3) at Diamond Caverns. Easy and short course but still made the shots. Followed by 81 at Lafayette then 73 and 76 at Shady Hollow. Feels easy right now. These are the moments we dream about, fellas. I’m trying to enjoy it before things go awry!
I play Diamond Caverns along with Shady Hollow. Love the short Par 3 on the back and the dog leg 18th with the pine trees at the end of the fairway before it dog legs left (I think) ? Like I said in my earlier post, I haven't played up that way in a while, does Diamond Caverns have the little Par 3 over the gorge (very narrow but depth but also very long ? I can't remember if it is there or Shady Hollow ? Also, the Par 4 with the Gorge about 20 yards short of the green ? I hit a shot that was literally right on the edge of that hole. Was not taking any chances, I placed my ball about 2 yards back. Rules or no rules, my ass is not going to fall into a 60 foot or so gorge trying to comply with the rules of golf. Did NOT take a penalty, LOL. Treated it as a health hazard in my rule book.

I play Diamond Caverns along with Shady Hollow. Love the short Par 3 on the back and the dog leg 18th with the pine trees at the end of the fairway before it dog legs left (I think) ? Like I said in my earlier post, I haven't played up that way in a while, does Diamond Caverns have the little Par 3 over the gorge (very narrow but depth but also very long ? I can't remember if it is there or Shady Hollow ? Also, the Par 4 with the Gorge about 20 yards short of the green ? I hit a shot that was literally right on the edge of that hole. Was not taking any chances, I placed my ball about 2 yards back. Rules or no rules, my ass is not going to fall into a 60 foot or so gorge trying to comply with the rules of golf. Did NOT take a penalty, LOL. Treated it as a health hazard in my rule book.
Stupid golf rules are for pros.

Question:
When competing/gambling with handicaps, do you allow a max handicap score, or do you allow a max score?

In other words, if I am a 5 handicap, on the 1-5 handy holes my worst score can be triple. On the other 13 holes my worst score can only be double. Can pick up when you are at that bad number even if you are 100 yards from the flag.

Call me old fashioned, but especially in net games, I think you should have to write down a 10 if that's what you got.

Courses have been lengthened to the point of stupidity, and now they want to roll the ball back. People are too caught up in distance when strategic changes to course designs will offset a lot of that. Simply put....make courses harder and make the golfers hit tougher shots.

Yet you cry and moan like a little hypocritical contrarian bitch every US Open. 🤡

Yet you cry and moan like a little hypocritical contrarian bitch every US Open. 🤡
Everyone agrees, you can't just keep lengthening golf courses. There's no room to do so.

You could do what Adam Scott suggested and just roll back the driver limit to 300-325 cc or so, and limit shaft length as well. Problem solved.

As example, pros tried a persimmon club at British Open and Dechambeau hit one 288 carry, longest of any of the pros that tried. That is a huge drive with a persimmon driver, but some 40 yards short of his current max length.

Everyone agrees, you can't just keep lengthening golf courses. There's no room to do so.

You could do what Adam Scott suggested and just roll back the driver limit to 300-325 cc or so, and limit shaft length as well. Problem solved.

As example, pros tried a persimmon club at British Open and Dechambeau hit one 288 carry, longest of any of the pros that tried. That is a huge drive with a persimmon driver, but some 40 yards short of his current max length.

As you can see so far for the past two days....let mother nature and the natural design of a difficult course take over, and it doesn't matter how far you drive it.

As you can see so far for the past two days....let mother nature and the natural design of a difficult course take over, and it doesn't matter how far you drive it.
I remember that US Open several years back when the ball kept rolling off the green. No matter where they landed their shots, it wouldn't stay on the green. Finally the course managers had to go water the greens in the middle of the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT