ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

LOL, there are several at Champions that feel the same way as drainthetub. But I usually play with guys that could care less, or even start requesting particular tunes. And if I am in a tournament or a non regular group, always ask before I fire it up.

OTOH, if I am just hitting balls at the range, or chipping and putting, you may just have to put up with the Eagles, Allman Brothers, or whatever else suits my Spotify fancy that day. :sunglasses:

Need a decent low cost Bluetooth speaker for golf cart next season. What about the AnKer, $40 on Amazon? Has received good reviews, but everything gets good reviews on the sites selling the equipment.
I've had this one too. It'll do the job just fine.

Cambridge SoundWorks OontZ Angle 3 Next Generation Ultra Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker : Louder Volume 10W+, More Bass, Water Resistant, Perfect Speaker for Golf, Beach, Shower & Home (Black) Amazon product ASIN B010OYASRG

Reactions: Tskware
Picked up a few dozen of the new Costco 4-piece balls earlier today. They've gotten fantastic reviews (have been sold out for a while) and I'm interested to see if they live up to the hype.

Day joins Nike
jason-day-nike-swinging.jpg

Because Nike stopped making equipment Rory going with Callaway woods and irons, Titleist wedges and ball. He has made enough money where he does not have to marry one manufacturer for the $ like most on tour have to. Will be interesting to see how he does and if it is the beginning of a new era in equipment usage on tour. Tiger doing the same.

They are apparently making the Volvik S4 (only available now in White) in Pink just for Bubba.

Looks like Bubba is switching golf balls [sick]

Same ball used in the World Long Drive Championship so maybe he thinks he can hit it another 30+ yards hahaha Serious note, at the world class level the type of ball you use is extremely important. Just hope he is not just taking the money and the ball is an upgrade for him.

Picked up a few dozen of the new Costco 4-piece balls earlier today. They've gotten fantastic reviews (have been sold out for a while) and I'm interested to see if they live up to the hype.

Give us update when you can. Seen lot of good reviews on them.

The most fun I've had playing in the last few years was at a 5700 yard (from the tips) par 69 mountain course with lots of elevation changes, small greens with lots of trouble on approaches and a quirky layout. Got me thinking... I would really like to play more short, target courses. It's just a much more enjoyable type of golf to me versus the standard 6600-7000 yard hit driver on every par 4 and 5 kinda place.

I say all that to ask this... Anyone have a rec for shorter courses in the area? Maybe a local track for you that doesn't get much pub but is kinda quirky?

Last edited:
Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Hmmm..Well Tates Creek is short and i actually really enjoy TC. Seems like a lot of those type of courses are country clubs and private but Winchester Country Club is like that, quirky and short. Maybe Woodford Hills Country Club (Moss Hill) seems like that, DIX River in Stanford is like that.

You play the Whites at Boones Trace? That would seem like a shorter version you may look for.

I'd just move up a set or two of tees to make it more fun for you.

Woodhaven and Wildwood in Louisville are shorter courses, and very quirky. Woodhaven has tiny greens.

Persimmon Ridge is like 7000+ yards from every tee (or it seems that way). There are like 8 consecutive Par 4s. It's just a beast...and not very fun. Throw a 160 yard hole in there somewhere.

Hmmm..Well Tates Creek is short and i actually really enjoy TC. Seems like a lot of those type of courses are country clubs and private but Winchester Country Club is like that, quirky and short. Maybe Woodford Hills Country Club (Moss Hill) seems like that, DIX River in Stanford is like that.

You play the Whites at Boones Trace? That would seem like a shorter version you may look for.

Yep. Stoner creek, Cynthiana cc, Kenton station, battlefield, cassel creek, high point might be up your alley too.

High Point is trying very hard to improve its overall quality. I have started out my year there many years to play a short course and gain some confidence with lower scores, is that a false confidence? But High Point has improved and actually if you want to tip it out there they have moved back some tees making it more challenging. I enjoy HP.

High Point is trying very hard to improve its overall quality. I have started out my year there many years to play a short course and gain some confidence with lower scores, is that a false confidence? But High Point has improved and actually if you want to tip it out there they have moved back some tees making it more challenging. I enjoy HP.
I've always enjoyed it too just for a fun round. Haven't played it since the new ownership though.

I've always enjoyed it too just for a fun round. Haven't played it since the new ownership though.
Backed up tee on 1 making it less likely to drive green(tee now over to left by tree line nearer the 18th), par 3 tee at two backed up to a 8 iron/7 iron instead of wedge down the hill. Made a back tee on 4 making it a par 5 (was always toughest par 4 on course), backed up tee on 5 making it a ridiculous par 4....<-----if i understood it correctly and this was to remain a par 4 i hit a 5 wood into green. Backed up tee on 9 and 10 a little. Probably a few other tee changes making it a different ball game out there now from tips.

Reactions: drainthatub
Backed up tee on 1 making it less likely to drive green(tee now over to left by tree line nearer the 18th), par 3 tee at two backed up to a 8 iron/7 iron instead of wedge down the hill. Made a back tee on 4 making it a par 5 (was always toughest par 4 on course), backed up tee on 5 making it a ridiculous par 4....<-----if i understood it correctly and this was to remain a par 4 i hit a 5 wood into green. Backed up tee on 9 and 10 a little. Probably a few other tee changes making it a different ball game out there now from tips.

Did the new owners acquire the rights to the land too? That was always my understanding about why previous owners wouldn't invest in it because HOA owned the land.

It's a good little course to go play for cheap.

Reactions: cawoodsct

Normally the blues at BT with others but the whites there are a more fun round for me. I think you're right... I guess I just lean more to the older, small greened country club type courses. Kearney-type places are challenging but not exactly enjoyable.

Reactions: cawoodsct
Normally the blues at BT with others but the whites there are a more fun round for me. I think you're right... I guess I just lean more to the older, small greened country club type courses. Kearney-type places are challenging but not exactly enjoyable.
Gay Brewer is an old style course like that. Play that course forward. Very small greens and 5 par fives.

Justin Thomas with his 2nd win of the year. Good to see a KY golfer do well.

Not nearly as much dipping/head movement on the downswing. I like it. Nice little club twirl at the end too, must have striped it.
Thats a practice round... I'll bet you when he's in tournament play he reverts back to "dipping"... Especially if he's paired up with a big hitter... I think he can win again if he keeps it in play but hasn't done that in forever.... or since he got off the juice;)

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Thats a practice round... I'll bet you when he's in tournament play he reverts back to "dipping"... Especially if he's paired up with a big hitter... I think he can win again if he keeps it in play but hasn't done that in forever.... or since he got off the juice;)
True..I held hope as long as I could, but am leaning towards him being done at this point (although that 2nd round bogey free 65 at the hero....ahhh he's done).

Anybody tried the new pro-v yet? Saw they went back to the black line, probably the only real change tbh.

Just an all around solid, gentleman-like 92 in my first round of the year today. Kinda surprised there weren't many people out with the warm weather.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT