ADVERTISEMENT

Global Climate Changes

Which had zero to do w/ this tragedy.
Hotter oceans fuel these storms, causes them to intensify more rapidly, causes them to get much more powerful. And a hotter atmosphere, because we’re living on a currently overheating planet — hotter atmosphere holds more water, so we get these intense, intense rainfalls, which cause the sorts of flooding that’s happening right now. 30 inches of rain in a day dumped on Asheville, NC

Reactions: FtWorthCat
Humans are definitely impacting the climate and that impact should be minimized as much as reasonably possible.

However the notion our carbon emission is destroying the planet is nothing more justification to usher in desired change unrelated to the climate.

How are humans impacting the climate outside of carbon emissions, to be specific?

Dumping toxic waste materials into water and land. Noone seems to care about that.

Turns out that doesn't drive people towards the ev movement, the resources for which china just so fortuitously happened to buy up a few years before making the global push.

What’s the causation between dumping and climate change?

There isnt one. Thats entirely my point. Pretty amazing this insanity has to even be explained.

Hotter oceans fuel these storms, causes them to intensify more rapidly, causes them to get much more powerful. And a hotter atmosphere, because we’re living on a currently overheating planet — hotter atmosphere holds more water, so we get these intense, intense rainfalls, which cause the sorts of flooding that’s happening right now. 30 inches of rain in a day dumped on Asheville, NC

You're speaking in climate change generalities and talking points, which is understandable as that is all they have. However, none of this can be pinpointed to what took place in Asheville, NC and surrounding communities. Not one bit of evidence.

Note....floods have been taking place for generations. Hurricanes for generations (previously instructed you before on this)

If you have specific evidence that can be attributed to this event, then please share w/ the class.

I know there have been many predictions from the past to the present day made by persons like Al Gore that did not come true. These were largely alarmist claims of what would occur by now that have not occurred. Can the people who believe in man-made climate change point to any correct, specific predictions other than general predictions (like weather will become more extreme which is very subjective and recency bias exists)

Last edited:
While @KAB Cats is revelling in his moral superiority, he failed to notice he helped me make the exact point i intended. That people are so tunnel visioned on the carbon scam, they can't be bothered to worry about the very real actual man made problems of toxic waste into land and water or the massive amounts of trash we produce.

But yes, chase down the cow farts.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
While @KAB Cats is revelling in his moral superiority, he failed to notice he helped me make the exact point i intended. That people are so tunnel visioned on the carbon scam, they can't be bothered to worry about the very real actual man made problems of toxic waste into land and water or the massive amounts of trash we produce.

But yes, chase down the cow farts.

Okay, we aren’t going anywhere here.

You made the claim that humans should do everything possible to curb climate change. You then said carbon emissions do not cause climate change.

So, my question is, how do we address climate change? You already said toxic waste doesn’t cause climate change. So, it can’t be that.

Okay, we aren’t going anywhere here.

You made the claim that humans should do everything possible to curb climate change. You then said carbon emissions do not cause climate change.

So, my question is, how do we address climate change? You already said toxic waste doesn’t cause climate change. So, it can’t be that.

We're going somewhere, just not where you think. The focus should be on the toxicity pouring into water and soil, not the nonsense carbon tax and power grab. Problem is people like you are so well conditioned to focus on the carbon you overlook the obvious.

We're going somewhere, just not where you think. The focus should be on the toxicity pouring into water and soil, not the nonsense carbon tax and power grab. Problem is people like you are so well conditioned to focus on the carbon you overlook the obvious.

You just post to shitpost I’m pretty sure but whatever

• Haha
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Large swaths of Asheville, including Biltmore Village and theiconic River Arts District were submerged under nearly 25 feet of water after the French Broad River overflowed.

But why did this happen? This "100-year flood" is no expression — the flood of 1916 in Asheville crested at 21 feet, a record that has now been smashed by Helene.

At maximum, I disagree with this assessment and at minimum I'm skeptical. This is why.

For one, the author cited the severity of hurricanes (as a result of global warming) as a reason for the flooding in North Carolina. However, per the author's admission, they define increasing severity as high winds (per the cited Princeton study) -- not flooding. A little contextual switcheroo took place in making that claim.

Secondly, in my opinion, what the author of the article is claiming is not science. This is true for a few reasons.

1) Due to inability of being able to isolate conditions of severe weather, they are incapable of creating a logical tautology that proves global warming is culprit of the severe weather
2) Given that hurricane season is well-established for centuries, there is little distinction between a single hurricane and a longterm of trend of hurricanes of varying severity dating back decades.

Given this, someone may be able to make a claim "XYX could be due to global warming". That might be a valid claim. However, if you take any climate event in isolation and claim it's the result of climate change, it's inherently deceiving because that is not what climate is. Climate is the pattern of weather over long timespans. Nothing that took place here is anomalous or a smoking gun to that climate shifting.

I typed none of the above to prove that climate change is not taking place, but I think this is where skeptics also feel justified in their criticism because they aren't necessarily wrong about that.

If you think that contrasting 1916 to 2024 is a matter of looking at where the water crested only, you will be susceptible to any numbers of untruths. But, I posit that if 1916 water depths happened in 2024, the Aussie golfer would still be claiming that the flood was a sole result of climate change. There is no room for nuance and an attempt to understand when dealing with many climate alarmists.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT