ADVERTISEMENT

Gatewood

Levi’s probably becomes the starter since he wouldn’t transfer here. He could be a starter at another team.
Would anyone want a player on their team with that mentality. If adverse to competing for a spot, you're probably adverse to grinding to hone your skills. I doubt anything was suggested other than a legitimate chance to win the job. As smart as Levis supposedly is, my guess is, that's all he wanted.

Re running/scrambling by Gatewood...what stood out to me last year was when Gatewood scrambled by being forced to run due to pass rush he looked pretty good. When he ran by design on a called run or RPO he looked very tenative/hesitant. Maybe he wasn't comfortable with designed runs.

Reactions: Mr.Morris and rye48
I still wish Stoops would have gone with Allen and Gatewood the second half of last season. Nothing beats real game experience. We would have won the same amount of games last season because the teams we beat we all worse than awful.
Wining games and the bowl was most important. Terry was the best option. I think the staff handled a rough year about as well as can be expected under the circumstances.

Reactions: mrschwump
Coen would have to be a miracle worker with gatewood for him to show any promise of leading us to a successful season. Sorry was not impressed with him at all. If he gets named starter I will be immediately pessimistic about our “new” offense.
I will wait to see how Coen develops QBs before judging Gatewood on his past limited appearances.

Levis will be the starter whenever he gets here and starts to compete. I'm telling y'all.
I doubt Levis will start at the beginning of the season. He might be the starter before the end of the season, though. But it is Gatewood's job to lose at this point, and I will not judge Gatewood by his one start under a different OC last year. This is a new offense. It fits Gatewood's skills better, and new coaches typically mean fresh starts for returning players.

The point is, the teams we beat last year were all terrible and we would have won those with any QB.
No. Had Stoops made that decision and had UK lost to any one of those teams, no one would have accepted your premise. You play the best players to give your team the best chance to win. And, BTW, NC St was ranked.

Gatewood is playing with house money ,, If he is leading now you can bet he won;t give up without a fight so those that think Levis will walk in and take with only a few weeks of practice in a complicated system may need to reconsider! If he does it before the first game he must be special but my bet is it will be at least a few games in if at all

Reactions: The-Hack
No. Had Stoops made that decision and had UK lost to any one of those teams, no one would have accepted your premise. You play the best players to give your team the best chance to win. And, BTW, NC St was ranked.
Maybe so but that hasn't been Stoops MO since he has been here!

the teams we beat last year were all terrible
MSU spanked LSU at LSU, won it's bowl game, and UT had defeated Mizzou, USCe, and led at the half against Georgia, and was ranked 18th prior to our beatdown of them.

I honestly think our win cemented UT's fall from grace, and sped it along.

There are only one or two "terrible teams" in the SEC each year, and two or three SEC teams capable of making almost anyone else look terrible.

We lie somewhere in the middle, but are trending nicely toward the top.

MSU spanked LSU at LSU, won it's bowl game, and UT had defeated Mizzou, USCe, and led at the half against Georgia, and was ranked 18th prior to our beatdown of them.

I honestly think our win cemented UT's fall from grace, and sped it along.

There are only one or two "terrible teams" in the SEC each year, and two or three SEC teams capable of making almost anyone else look terrible.

We lie somewhere in the middle, but are trending nicely toward the top.
Exactly. The SEC is the best college football conference in America. I won't defend Vandy here, even though the Dores have sprung some meaningful upsets and put some players in the NFL. But football is always relative in that way, and there really aren't any "terrible" teams anymore in the SEC if we are speaking relative to comparable levels of other conferences.

And as pointed out earlier, NC St was ranked when we beat them in our bowl game.

Besides that, UK's final 2020 record was muddied by uneven performances against Auburn, Ole Miss, and MO in games that UK could realistically have won. Every season includes 50-50 and 45-55 games of that nature, so it wasn't necessarily out of the ordinary to endure those disappointments in 2020. But you wonder what could have happened with fewer off-field distractions, the benefit of spring practice and a healthy Chris Oats, and just a handful of more tactical second-half pass completions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3Bluefever325
IF this is a normal schedule year, we will be able to tell more. Just my opinion, as fans we HAVE to get away from saying these wins are against nobodies. All these kids hit, they all have some stars.
One reason they end up with a bad record is because UK beat em.

Hate to point it out....but John Majors at UT had a good theory.....you build your team to beat the best...in our conference Alabama. Get to where you can compete with them and the other wins will fall into place.

Reactions: The-Hack
I have seen Gatewood play before he become a UK target, I never thought he was a great or even good QB prospect, but he is a great athlete. I have always thought he would be an excpetional TE, all SEC or possiblly AA potential, but at best an average college qb. But the kid wants to play QB, so you have to give him a chance. I don't think you can win big with him at QB, but I don't think he hurts you either. His only start I can remember is against us, UGA, and he wasn't effective. With the rules we have today, it just makes sense to go with the best passer if everything else is equal. I don't know if Gatewood will ever be a anything more than an average passer. that will get you some wins, but not were everyone wants to get to. For the record I don't know if UGA has anyone that can get us pass 9-11 wins either. With all the rule changes, being able to light up the scoreboards is where it's at today.

Watch the Levi’s’ Penn State highlights tape on UTUBE. Gatewood and Levis has similar game.

I’m going to hold out on anyone with a less than 60% completion percentage. I’m still fighting the Lamar Jackson fight, dudes a special talent but he’s never gonna win anything because he can’t pass. 57% college passer can’t get it done in the pros, just like Drew Lock, was fantastic outside the conference, in conference his senior year he was a 54% passer. Knew he wasn’t good right then. You can’t be inaccurate and expect to win. However I do expect Levis to start because that’s who Coen wanted. I want to see Joey or Beau 100%.

What's weird is that they all could do that in practice last year, but then again the WRs weren't always going full speed in drills. There was a lot of waiting on throws last season.

Coen mentioned "burst glide burst" in his presser for a reason. The receivers were bursting and gliding only last year. Only until the ball was in the air did they burst, if then. So frustrating to watch a guy get open, slow down, and lose his advantage waiting on the throw.

That for me was the worst part of watching the offense last year, and after rewatching games it really came down to that in our losses. It may have been because of Terry's accuracy or maybe it was the scheme. Either way, I was excited to hear Coen talking about that in the press conference.

Last year you could tell wrs had zero confidence terry would get the ball there. That's why they lacked full speed because he just missed so often.

Gatewood looked big time on the bomb to Ali today at the scrimmage- showed a huge arm -

He has all the physical tools. If he puts the whole thing together, look out

Gatewood is playing with house money ,, If he is leading now you can bet he won;t give up without a fight so those that think Levis will walk in and take with only a few weeks of practice in a complicated system may need to reconsider! If he does it before the first game he must be special but my bet is it will be at least a few games in if at all
Not arguing against your analysis, but Coen did state in his introductory conference that the system he was bringing from the Rams was "A Quarterback friendly system"

I’m going to hold out on anyone with a less than 60% completion percentage. I’m still fighting the Lamar Jackson fight, dudes a special talent but he’s never gonna win anything because he can’t pass. 57% college passer can’t get it done in the pros, just like Drew Lock, was fantastic outside the conference, in conference his senior year he was a 54% passer. Knew he wasn’t good right then. You can’t be inaccurate and expect to win. However I do expect Levis to start because that’s who Coen wanted. I want to see Joey or Beau 100%.
Lamar Jackson won the NFL mvp lol

Reactions: UKat1 and ukdesi
I'm a pleb nobody, but I really do think a lot of fans are underestimating just how inept our QB coach was. Like, to be so bad that you get Eddie Gran fired is pretty poor. I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys take major strides over the summer and into the fall.
Henshaw wasn’t all that popular with the UT fan during his playing days..... I think he fell into the “serviceable” category.... But Gran held on to the guy... Agree it seems odd that he would when the passing game was so inept for a period of time that one would think a Caveman could coach to a better passing threat.... Be interesting to see where his career takes him.... He’s in the Club... Someone will certainly go to the discard pile and take a chance...............

Lamar Jackson won the NFL mvp lol

Yes he did. He had a great year. He’s never going to be a super bowl QB, he’s never going to win that conference, and it helps that he can run so well because the Ravens typically run the ball really well. He’s not going to be anything other than a good solid QB

Yes he did. He had a great year. He’s never going to be a super bowl QB, he’s never going to win that conference, and it helps that he can run so well because the Ravens typically run the ball really well. He’s not going to be anything other than a good solid QB
I’d say MVPs of the NFL are better than solid. And Lamar is 24. it’s a bit to early to say what he is and isn’t going to do. But to each his own.

I’d say MVPs of the NFL are better than solid. And Lamar is 24. it’s a bit to early to say what he is and isn’t going to do. But to each his own.

I personally don’t disagree with you. Extremely young, there are just things surrounding that situation that lead me to believe that. He really hasn’t had any good receivers either, but yeah.

I have seen Gatewood play before he become a UK target, I never thought he was a great or even good QB prospect, but he is a great athlete. I have always thought he would be an excpetional TE, all SEC or possiblly AA potential, but at best an average college qb. But the kid wants to play QB, so you have to give him a chance. I don't think you can win big with him at QB, but I don't think he hurts you either. His only start I can remember is against us, UGA, and he wasn't effective. With the rules we have today, it just makes sense to go with the best passer if everything else is equal. I don't know if Gatewood will ever be a anything more than an average passer. that will get you some wins, but not were everyone wants to get to. For the record I don't know if UGA has anyone that can get us pass 9-11 wins either. With all the rule changes, being able to light up the scoreboards is where it's at today.
I sort of am falling here on Gatewood thus far.
1. The Cam Newton comparisons about end with they are both black QBs, 6'5 ish and 230lb-ish. Cam was a freak athlete with the ability to run away from LB/DL and physical dude who could push a pile as well. Gatewood's lack of explosiveness was very deflating in his limited snaps. He looked alot more like JLO than Cam Newton with his feet. More of a lumbering QB...not a huge run threat.
2. Cam was able to read and deliver the pass solidly at Auburn....which was more than enough to make him leathal in college game. I'm going to hold judgement a bit longer as he got hardly any chance to show his passing threat in those few snaps with the abysmal coaching and WR play at his disposal.

I'm still a bit nervous if reports are true Gatewood beat out Allen solidly in spring thus far.....but I'm going to give Coen time to see what he can do with the offense.

Gonna be a lot of upset UK fans if Allen isn’t QB1.....I’m for the best QB thiugh
You're probably right but that take wouldn't be grounded in anything other than he's a Kentucky kid. It would not be uncommon for a kid that came in with BA's build to take a few years to grow into the position.

Reactions: Davae9
I doubt Levis will start at the beginning of the season. He might be the starter before the end of the season, though. But it is Gatewood's job to lose at this point, and I will not judge Gatewood by his one start under a different OC last year. This is a new offense. It fits Gatewood's skills better, and new coaches typically mean fresh starts for returning players.
You should call Levis and tell him not to bother coming over. I don’t believe it is anyone’s job at this point. The competition will be in the fall. That’s what the coach said and I believe it.

Reactions: getcha pull
I hope the best QB starts.

Obviously we all do. Doesn’t matter to me one bit who starts, I do think it’s paramount you attempt to get everything out of Gatewood that you can because the talent is clearly there, so it’s good to see him getting praise and doing the right things.

Last year you could tell wrs had zero confidence terry would get the ball there. That's why they lacked full speed because he just missed so often.

I'm talkin about practices though. Not games but practices. I don't think the players were going full speed during the entire practices no matter who was at QB

I expect Levis to be the starter. I didn't see enough out of Joey's Rlarm to impress me. Beau apparently hasn't gotten command of the playback as easily.

And I just think it's common sense Coen didn't go out and find Levis if he were satisfied with what he saw in the cupboard.

You're probably right but that take wouldn't be grounded in anything other than he's a Kentucky kid. It would not be uncommon for a kid that came in with BA's build to take a few years to grow into the position.

Have you took a good look at Mac Jones? He is obviously a good QB, but he has no muscle definition. He is from the Tom Brad body top, Allen appears to be as well.

Why can’t Levi’s be in Lexington now and take his remote Penn State classes from UK
He needs to be enrolled at UK to participate in practice. Have to imagine NCAA has rules against being enrolled in 2 universities at the same time. Also, how do you know classes he is taking at PSU are not in-person.

Reactions: jauk11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT